Quantcast

Trust me...

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
From another industry, but relevant to this...

“When you cut prices to hit sales targets, you don’t show that you are on the path to sustained profits,” said Erik Gordon, a business professor at the University of Michigan. “You could be on the path to long-term losses.”

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
From another industry, but relevant to this...

“When you cut prices to hit sales targets, you don’t show that you are on the path to sustained profits,” said Erik Gordon, a business professor at the University of Michigan. “You could be on the path to long-term losses.”
Or when you build an overpriced redesign of a very longstanding proven design, make sure it works.

pricing/business strategies/marketing..........none of that shit matters when you have a suspension fork that doesn't move under extremely common scenarios.

This was not a failure of friggen business strategy :rofl:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Or when you build an overpriced redesign of a very longstanding proven design, make sure it works.

pricing/business strategies/marketing..........none of that shit matters when you have a suspension fork that doesn't move under extremely common scenarios.

This was not a failure of friggen business strategy :rofl:

If it had a 20mm axle, you'd have bought 3 of them.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
This is a recommendation I can give to all startup businesses - just use what you have, do what you can, and then things will grow. Don't go to the bank and take big loans. – Nicolai

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I was surprised with how many of these are for sale on PB. New ones even, for a fraction of their original price.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
They were on eBay, straight out of Taiwan for 750 until they sold out. I want one, but it's still overpriced compared to a nice single crown. Plus the mfg is dead and warranty is dead and spare parts are dead. So yeah, not getting one.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
They were on eBay, straight out of Taiwan for 750 until they sold out. I want one, but it's still overpriced compared to a nice single crown. Plus the mfg is dead and warranty is dead and spare parts are dead. So yeah, not getting one.
The few remaining in 20 years time will reach cult status.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I'm half in the bag, want to hear a review?

It's OK! Maybe even pretty good.

Seriously, that's all you need to know; but as mentioned I am a few gins deep, so let's chat about bikes.

I swapped out my perfectly good FOX 36 RC2 for this Message. Both forks were set at 130mm travel. The FOX is an impressive fork- easily the most stiction free slider fork that I have ever ridden. The damper gives you control over hi and lo speed compression and the air spring has always felt fairly passable, if not a little progressive for my tastes. I love a stiff front end, and the 36 delivered in spades especially with a 20mm hub and five bolt axle setup. I like a fuckload of compression, and that's how I ran my fork, generally. So why the fuck did I swap a great slider fork for linkage fork?

I dunno, I guess I'm a weirdo. See my backwards seatpost, onyx hub, electric shifter 1x road bike, hybrid drivetrain, or chinese carbon rims. I like trying shit out and seeing if it works. When I saw a carefully designed linkage fork come out, I wanted to try it, but I sure AF wasn't going to spend 2g on the thing. I found one for a little under 7 hundo, new in box, and gave it a shot. None of my other shit is under warranty, so why not?

Structurally, this thing is impressive and you can see why it cost 2gs. I'm sure DW needed a new STI motor for his dune buggy, but also there are a lot of carefully crafted carbon bits that drive the price up. Think of why new frames cost 3gs, and that's basically why this fork costs as much. It's a carbon fork plus a linkage setup plus a damper plus an air spring.

Stiffness wise, it's OK. It's not as stiff as the 36, but I'm not sure if it's significant. If you're fucking around in the parking lot, you can see flex in certain circumstances, but I don't seem to notice it out on the trail. I do wish they had used a 20mm axle to keep the two linkage jammers tracking in the same direction.

As far as damping goes, I'm happy. I love the three position switch more than I thought I would. I like running a lot of compression so trail mode is usually my go-to, but it's nice to open it up for prolonged DH or lock it out for road climbs as well. I find trail mode offers a lot of LSC but doesn't feel stiff or harsh when things get fast and I forget to flip the switch back. It harmonizes really well with the monarch plus I'm running in the rear, and seems to work better than the float X2/fox 36 combo I had tried originally. i can't tell you that the high speed bleedover is totally frattening the check valve on the crossover...I guess I just don't what the fuck that means but the fork feels pretty good in most situations, but offers more discreet modes thanks to the switch than the 36 does even though they feel similar in trail mode.

The "trust effect"- I don't know about this one. I know that the fork offers "contour" travel rather than linear travel like a telescope, but I'm not certain I can tell the difference in offset throughout the fork's stroke. I can say that it handles pretty well with little ill effects due to being a linkage fork. I do notice a bit less brake dive, not sure if this is by design, by air spring weight, or just because new shiny, but going into downhill, weighted corners- i feel like I'm not as deep into the travel as I should be.

My favorite part of the fork so far is easily how that "contour travel" translates to handling square-edge hits. I live in MA, and out here trails are absolutely littered with roots and baby heads. Plenty of places have rocks and roots, but it's tenacious out here with crawling speed, super-rocky terrain that is just 100% 4-6" tall rocks cemented to the earth. normally I hate these fucking trails as they are no fun to ride and you can't get any speed. The Message takes some of the piss out of riding them, and in fact makes some of these really shitty trails a little bit more fun to ride, just because it's not so fucking awful to be on them. I'm still really early in the ownership process, and some of the trails I'm describing I never ran the 36 on, but I remember hating these trails in the past because those same babyheads would stop my bike entirely, and now they are absorbed by the suspension, making things relatively less shitty.

So that's my summary for now- the Trust Message is relatively less shitty than a traditional fork. I really like the three mode damper. I've settled at 150PSI, which is Body weight -20%, and lower than what Trust recommended (before they folded). It's a pretty great trail fork, in my opinion. I think they should have sold it for 1200-1500, rather than 2000. I think they should have tried to offer an aluminum linkage setup to try and lower the cost and get more people on it. I think they shouldn't have suggested it was a replacement for a 120-160mm setup....it's not. I think it's also relatively difficult to sell a "trailbike" fork for 2gs....if I were racing, I'm not sure I'd want this fork....it's not as stiff as the 36, it doesn't offer as much control as the 36, but for your average herb out in the woods, I think there are some advantages. That being said, for dicking around in the woods, do you need a $2000 fork? It's sort of like the Unno frames...do you need a handmade in spain, ultralight, carefully designed carbon frame to go out and fuck around in the woods, or can you make do with a taiwanese, aluminum frame that does 98% of the same thing the unno can?

So anyways, if you've made it to the end of my 3/4 in the bag rambling, I'm happy with what I paid for this fork, and I'd do it again in a heartbeat, but I'm not surprised they didn't sell more at $2000. I'll shitpost again when I have more time on it and see if anything changes.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Seller offered me tools to rebuild the damper, but I haven’t purchased them yet as I wasn’t sure I was keeping the fork forever. Said seller still rebuilds forks apparently.

I will say that the service interval is 250hrs and it’ll be a long time before I hit that, sadly.

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
Got to admit, at this point, I would be able to ride that fork the rest of my life.
Man that's kind of depressing. I don't bike as much as I'd like and I hey in like 60 hours a year. That's only a couple rides a week for the time that there's no snow on the trails.