Quantcast

truvativ bottom brackets suck

metalMTB

Monkey
Sep 14, 2005
Richmond, VA
I've have a truvativ gigapipe bb on my dh bike and a howitzer on my urban bike and both (within a week) started making horrible popping noises when I start to pedal (Gets worse the more I torque down on my cranks). I've taken them out and regreased them and it only helps slightly. Anyone have any experience with this?

skurfer333

Monkey
Apr 21, 2005
Raleigh, NC
I have the exact same problem with my isis overdrive, started happening after only a few weeks on the bike. I hadn't even done anything big on it. Piece of $#*t. I'm switching to bmx cranks.

metalMTB

Monkey
Sep 14, 2005
Richmond, VA
I took it apart cleaned it up and applied anti sieze to all the threads and it helped a lot but its still making some noise. My mechanic says he doesn't like truvativ either and he's had similar experiences to me. If it gets any worse I'm going to try a raceface (he hasn't had any problems with those).

skurfer333

Monkey
Apr 21, 2005
Raleigh, NC
metalMTB said:
I took it apart cleaned it up and applied anti sieze to all the threads and it helped a lot but its still making some noise. My mechanic says he doesn't like truvativ either and he's had similar experiences to me. If it gets any worse I'm going to try a raceface (he hasn't had any problems with those).
I did the same thing. I totally agree, from what I've seen Race Face makes some high quality stuff.

pbr

Chimp
Aug 18, 2003
San Francisco
metalMTB said:
I've have a truvativ gigapipe bb on my dh bike and a howitzer on my urban bike and both (within a week) started making horrible popping noises when I start to pedal (Gets worse the more I torque down on my cranks). I've taken them out and regreased them and it only helps slightly. Anyone have any experience with this?
I just responded to someone about this in another thread. Try adding plumbers tape too. It helps for a ride or two. I personally think that the new spindle/ bb design needs a little bit of tweaking.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
Race Face Signature XS...off the top of my head, i can't think of any other rebuildable ISIS bottom brackets.

BrandonWatts

Monkey
May 4, 2005
raymond, WA
i have never had any problems with truvativ bb. i am running one on my dh bike and one on my freeride bike. the have been on the bikes for a year now

stgil888

Monkey
Jun 16, 2004
Malibu, CA
Hmmm. Sounds like the new ones are problematic. I had a Truvativ ISIS on a DH bike for 2 seasons without any problems. It still spins.

pbr

Chimp
Aug 18, 2003
San Francisco
I don't have any problems with the isis version of the same crank on my demo 8...

the creak just gets worse and worse. At this point, i'm sure its the bb spindle. when I spoke with someone at SRAM at sea otter, they said it was because I rode my crank loose. Kind of insulting, considering I've wrenched in shops for years and know better. I'm calling SRAM tomorrow to see about getting a new BB or spindle.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
the Inbred said:
Race Face Signature XS...off the top of my head, i can't think of any other rebuildable ISIS bottom brackets.
I've owned 3 different Raceface BBs, including one Signature XS, and my experience has been that they have about the worst bearings on the planet. All three have had gritty bearings after a few weeks. My FSA Platinum Pro was cheaper and lasted longer.

YMMV, of course.

metalMTB said:

Mine does the same thing. I gotta Hozfeller crank with a MRP chainguide, MRP bashgaurd ,and Truvativ bb and it poppes really bad as well. I doesn't pop when i lean foward with it and pedal, it only does it when i lean the bike side to side with pedaling. It's on a V10 and it has that popping sound. I don't know if it's the bb or the MRP doing the noise. I think it's the bb b/c i can pull sideways on the crank arm and it does the popping sound when pedaling.

pbr

Chimp
Aug 18, 2003
San Francisco
update on my crank situation:

I called SRAM today, and have new cranks and bb on route. Classic bad ass SRAM customer service. They are always on top of that stuff.

Hopefully my crank issues will be a thing of the past.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Did you try tightening the crap out of it? My BB had play that I thought was from the bearings but once I tightened it more it went away. It's like bearing preload, the wrong way. :p

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Bicyclist said:
Did you try tightening the crap out of it? My BB had play that I thought was from the bearings but once I tightened it more it went away. It's like bearing preload, the wrong way. :p
Yeah, I actually tighten the crap out of my BBs, way past mfr. spec. I know, I know, it's bad practice, but it's worked for me :p