Quantcast

truvativ gigapipe dh bb opinions

yearoftiger

Monkey
Nov 25, 2004
Bay Area
So does anyone know how good the truvativ gigapipe dh bottom brackets are?? Will they crap out on me?...im buying the 100mm x 148. My local shop advises me to not get them but i want a second opinion. Anyone know of any other companies with this hard to find size in a splined style?? thanx

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
I think they are crap.......i have had 2 and they lasted about 2 months each. And they won't answer they phone if you ask for warranty. I have had much better luck with FSA........

DIRTWRKS

Monkey
Aug 13, 2003
Canada EH !
Cant Climb said:
I think they are crap.......i have had 2 and they lasted about 2 months each. And they won't answer they phone if you ask for warranty. I have had much better luck with FSA........

Your kidding , right ! I have had two FSA BB snap their inner shaft/spindle and FSA would not even warranty them !

My Truvativ has been doing fine for over one year now !

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
so far mine's been good to me. its seen alot of abuse in my hardtail.

whats the reason your shops not advising you to get one?

yearoftiger

Monkey
Nov 25, 2004
Bay Area
boostindoubles said:
so far mine's been good to me. its seen alot of abuse in my hardtail.

whats the reason your shops not advising you to get one?

the guy said the ball bearings crap out...but it seems most ppl like the bb on rm

TtotheJ

Monkey
Jan 23, 2005
B'ham, WA
I have one in my Demo 8 and after about 4 months the bearings are shot. Took it out the other day after washing it the night before and the cranks would barely turn, then after a couple of pedal strokes it felt like the bearings just broke loose. Now it creaks something terrible when I pedal hard on it. Anybody know who else makes 73x128mm bb's beside Truvativ and FSA?

pntballpunk51

Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
clifton *CPT REPRESENT*
Dude I had this same one on my my demo 8 for like a month and it makes weird nosies. IMO its a piece of ****. Why can't they make bottom brackets like bmx companies do?? The bmx ones last forever.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
pntballpunk51 said:
Dude I had this same one on my my demo 8 for like a month and it makes weird nosies. IMO its a piece of ****. Why can't they make bottom brackets like bmx companies do?? The bmx ones last forever.
Because BMX BBs shells are much larger and allow the use of larger bearings. I don't know of anyone who makes a reliable isis BB. The ISIS design doesn't leave much room for bearings so manufactures are forced to use very small, undersized ones.

If you want reliability, you will need to switch to either a BMX style crank like a profile, or an external bearing setup like shimano or raceface.

Truvative is supposed to be making an external bearing ISIS BB. However, it will only work with there newest cranks.

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
hey for bb with larger bearings check out the megaquad form FSA, it uses 50mm shells, instead of the 42 mm shells like most others

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
i found out that they are new and going to be around 64 bucks, and they are a two piecs design so they will "last longer, be stronger, and easyer to service than anything before" bike mag august 2005

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
come to think of it, my cranks makes noise too. i ran a set of bmx profiles with the FSA euro kit on my bike once. It worked really well, but i couldnt run a bashguard with it. i toasted alot of sprockets. the fsa kit worked well.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
ive got one on my sgs team dh and its the same spindal length as yours and its been through a year of hell ridding. its the most worry free componet on my bike. no play, no weird noises, and butter smooth after the beating of a life time. i was actually expecing to replace it after about 6 months or so but its held up for the full pull. so i say go for it and screw fsa. (sorry that wasnt very nice)

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
pntballpunk51 said:
Mine makes weird noises when I pedal real hard. Anyone know whats wrong? I've taken it out and greased the threads and cleaned it.
I had that too. It was because I put new cranks on an old BB. The old cranks had worn (sp?) into the BB so it didnt have a tight fit anymore I guess.
Hope that helped.