Quantcast

truvativ stylo GXP cranks

Andy_B

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
whereabouts unknown
I dont have the SS ones, I have the team ones on my SS... They work great, very stiff, bearings (ob) have lasted longer than the FSA and Xt's I have ran in the past.

Colin

Monkey
Nov 5, 2001
in my tiny apartment
I only have a few rides on my external bearing cranks, but so far they are great. Real stiff and none of the creaking I had previously riding ss. Now, I don't have the Stylos, but LXs; however, I can't see how the Truvativs would be any different. They're probably lighter than the LXs, too. The only negative is the cranks push your chainline out a bit.

Muuqi

Monkey
Oct 11, 2005
Ashland Oregon
Yeah, they're sweet, I'd say if you're buying a stock SS crank and not converting one on your own, they're the way to go. They're light, stiff, and durable as hell. Some people hate on external bearings, but they are def. stiffer and hold up better/longer.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I would tend to disagree. The bearings are stiffer, but they are more exposed to the elements. Although they won't really creak they feel terrible when you take them out due to contamination.

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
I would run them. I have run many a Stylo in the past and they are good cranks. If I was building a nice SS they would be on there.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I agree, they're good cranks, but the claim that the BBs outlast regular ones isn't true. I ordered them for my SS a few days ago.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I had the stylo basic (non ss) cranks. I rode to a DJ spot, when I got there, the left side got wobbly and fell off before I could look down. I walked 40 min to a bike shp and they said the crank is stripped and the BB is shot. What do you think happened?

My bikes at Cambria Bicycle Outfiters geting hussefelts......

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
They were probably installed wrong. That happened to me on my Shimano XT cranks because I forgot to tighten a bolt.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
mtnbrider said:
I had the cranks on for 3 months. When my frame was built up, they were installed.
Did you have the BB shell faced? I've read that the x-type BBs are very sensitive to non-parallel faces.

Palilla

Monkey
Jul 20, 2004
I'm running the Stylo SS 180mm on my rigid right now. They're pretty good; stiff, and very light. The bash ring is nice, but I might ditch it because it never sees any action. I had a problem with the crank bolt coming loose. Just remember to check it every once in a while, or add just a little blue locktite and it should be good (once I got it torqued correctly, with a little grease it held up just fine.)