Quantcast

Truvativ Stylo OCT

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
Yo guys,

What's the general opinion on the Truvativ Stylo OCT? I'm looking at getting a set as they seem like a nice option that is substantially lighter than SLX cranks. Truvativ seems to have cleaned up the BB design and the cranks look great, I'd love to know if anyone has any experience on them.

Cheers

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
SLX cranks are about the same as Truvativ Stylo OCT with the same ring configuration. SLX are only slightly heavier than XT cranks with the same rings but most people don't know that as the rings included stock differ (it also varies by version - the dual ring version a few grams more as it has steel inserts). Shimano has the better arm interface and you can get them some places for just over $100.

SLX Triple is 886g actual - If you used the search you'd figure this out:

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3182782&postcount=25

You save weight by going SLX too - 2010 Truvativ Stylo Triple is 937g actual so even the SLX dual version arms with steel inserts will be no heavier than the OCT arms.

Last edited:

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
they are essentially the blackbox cranks that the specialized team rides... i havent ridden them yet, but the owners of the bikes i have worked on seem really stoked on em. the stylo is a good crank.

if however..... this is for a dh application, you better be one of three things: really light, really smooth, or able to replace them at frequent intervals. :thumb:

i like em.

freeridefool

Monkey
Jun 17, 2006
medford, or
For alot cheaper you could braid some speghetti and use that as your cranks. Im 165 and the stylos on my dj bike are twisted and bend just from gate starts at the bmx track.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
i liked the slx cranks i had before, i'll probably just go with those again. i was just curious about the truvativ stuff because part of me really wishes sram would come out with some mind-blowingly sick cranks. looks like i'll have to wait.