Quantcast

Trying a 29er

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
I've been seeing a few guys at the local trails runnin 29ers lately on tech trails. The last few weeks, I've seen a few of the "tallboys" out on the trails. Those bikes look nice. I've been playing with the idea of getting one, but i've never ridden one.
I went to the LBS today and saw a nice demo bike that's a 29er. I borrowed it for a ride tomorrow. It's a Titus Rockstar. Pretty nice ride, nicer than my current bike. I'm pretty stoked to try it out. I'll get on it and let you guys know what i think about it afterward.
I'll also post some pics tomorrow after my camera battery has charged.

Tanis

Chimp
Apr 11, 2010
Yakima, WA
I'm stepping into the 29er world also, my buddy and I switched bikes the other day on a trail ride(I ride a Giant Rainier HT, he has a nice RIP9)and it was like the bike was designed for me, it just felt so right and I didn't want to give it back :D
I'm buying it in a fee weeks:thumb:

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
Well, that kinda sucked...............................................I liked the bike so damn much that I tripled my riding distance this morning. I rode from the bottom of Snow Basin to the top. I think it's about a 12 mile climb. I usually can't do that on my 42 pound pig.
The 29er was incredible. I loved it. It was crazy. It hauled a$$ on the mellow up hill sections and flat sections. It felt like it was begging me to push it faster through the traverses and flat sections. It was weird.
I had a little harder time with steep stuff since I wasn't keeping my momentum up like I should have, but it still worked great. Man, those things have mega traction when climbing. That was a huge improvement. On the downhill, i was going pretty damn fast. The only thing that kept me from really going fast was the front tire. It didn't have very good side knobs. The bike kinda had a funny setup compared to what i like. I like wide bars (29.5) and a short stem. This bike had some 27" wide bars and a 110 stem. I hate those long stems.
Anyway, the bike ruled. I had the rear shock a little too stiff ( i was only getting about 70% travel), but it wasn't too bad. Those wagon wheels roll over the rocks super easy on the way down. That was pretty impressive. Needless to say, when I can afford one, I'll be picking up a full suspension 29er. I just gotta figure out where to get the $$$. I'm going to be bummed when i go to ride my bike.

This is the bike.

I don't want to give it back. :0(

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
Good hell. I've called all of the local bike shops in Northern Utah to see if anybody has a large full suspension 29er. Hardly anybody has them. THere's one place up near the ski resorts that has one, but it's a Gary Fisher Hifi. I'm not getting one of those. Seems like they have a ton of frames breaking.
THe only other bike I could find is an Ellsworth Demo that's being sold at $3500. Ouch. That's a bit above my budget. Don't know much about the Ellsworth, but I know those bikes are always expensive.
THe demo bike that i rode will be sold, but the shop told me that it probably won't go until around mid august. I don't know if i want to wait that long to get one. I've heard that some of the shops around here are supposed to be getting some of their 2011 specialized 29ers next month. Guess all i can really do is wait.