Quantcast

Trying out 24s on a 26 frame?

Sep 12, 2004
i currently ride a Simtra BnB (its a street/trials frame) and i love it but for the winter i wanted to mess around with 24s since i have 3 24in ryhno lite rims, 3 24in kenda k-rads, and enough 24in sized dt spokes to build up 4 or 5 wheels...so basically to get into it, i would need to spend about $30 on hubs

so my question is - the frame is technically designed around 26in wheels, would the lower bb really screw me up that much? anyone ever stick 24s on a 26 and have a bad experience? i contacted the designer of the frame and he said id be good to go...

just wondering what you all think

frame geo:

• 1040 wheelbase
• 405mm (center spot) adjustable chainstays
• 72° head angle
• 74° seat tube angle
• -20mm BB drop

and heres an old pic of the bike just for reference (now single speed with pivotal setup)

Last edited:

DirtBag

Monkey
Feb 1, 2006
I would build up a 24" wheelset and try it out. The worst that will happen is that you don't like it and you sell the wheelset...

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
Your bb will be really low.... about 11.2 inches. It will be stable and rideable, but it will feel sluggish. It probably wouldn't feel that much different than on 26s, though.

Sep 12, 2004
so i just went to go measure my current setup - the bb height (which i took to be the ground to the center of my bb bolt) was 13.25 inches

so then, my 24in wheeled bb height would be somewhere in the 12.25 inch range

some listed heights for 24in specific frames:

dmr transition = 11.85 inches
ns campital = 12.8 inches w/ 80mm travel, 12.4 with rigid
tonic fall guy = 12.375 inches
molly maguire = 12.3 inches
superco satellite = 12.125 inches

so by these number, my simtra frame should be in the same ball park right???

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
Yeah, that doesn't sound too bad. You said it had -20 mm drop, initially. Just try it. You'll be able to tell if you like or not... and you won't be out that much $.

Sep 12, 2004
i copied those #s right off the simtra site

the geo looks like it will be fine so ill lace up a cheapo starter wheelset and if i like it ill get more into it i guess

TortugaTonta

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
The easiest way to tell would be to take a string line from front axle to rear axle and measure where the center of the bottom bracket is located.

If it is 1/4 to 1/2 inch below the string you are in good shape, if it is 1 inch or more it is not worth the effort.

Just looking at the pic I would say you have very little drop on the bb, so it looks like a good canidate for 24's

Also check clearence on the chainstay, some shaped chainstays get real tight right where the tire would be on a 24" setup.

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
It might feel a bit nimbler if you're throwing it about, but my feeling is that the greatest advantage of a smaller wheel is the shorter rear end. It looks like your rear wheel is already slammed forward, so you won't get much out of that. It sounds like a cheap, fun project. Give it a shot.

Sep 12, 2004
It might feel a bit nimbler if you're throwing it about, but my feeling is that the greatest advantage of a smaller wheel is the shorter rear end. It looks like your rear wheel is already slammed forward, so you won't get much out of that. It sounds like a cheap, fun project. Give it a shot.
with 26in wheels - i have about 1/8 inch clearance to the chainstay yoke

with 24in wheels - id be able to shorten up my stays about 1/4 inch more so nothing huge

im just curious to see if ill be able to spin the bike easier with smaller wheels...ill be ordering parts soon enough so well see