Quantcast

Trying to decide

Bikebro

Chimp
Apr 13, 2005
I'm trying to decide between a Specialized SJ 120, SC Heckler, and Trek Fuel EX. I'm pretty big right now at 5'11" and 220+ but plain on losing the extra weight pretty quickly. I'll be riding the rocks and roots of New England but I'm not into jumping or drops of any real size. Getting my butt up the climbs is just as important to me as going down them right now so I'm looking to keep the bike reasonably light(under 29lbs) but still need it to hold up.

The Specialized Expert 120 seems the best to me right now with the same frame/shock as the Pro but with a Fox Talas instead of a Minute. I already have a bunch of XT parts and a better set of wheels to throw on it to bring it up to the Pro level. The only thing that worries me is the frame holding up even though I'm not all that tough on my bikes. The Heckler has the single pivot and beefer frame going for it but is heavier and would cost alittle more. I'm not sure why I put the Trek in there.

I know there are other bikes out there but I can get better pricing on the 3 I listed.

spin02

Chimp
Apr 13, 2005
Bristol, VA
Another vote for the stumpjumper. I am 6'5"/250lbs riding a stumpy comp 100 and I love it. So I am sure a 120 expert would have to be incredible.

Bikebro

Chimp
Apr 13, 2005
Well I sent in the EP form today for the STJ 120 Expert. I just need to decide on a crank and decide if I should throw down the cash for a set of Xmaxx XL disc wheels.