Quantcast

Trying to drop weight on DJ

crxs19

Chimp
Jul 24, 2013
Colorado
Hi. Thanks for coming to my new thread. I'm new to the technical aspects of my new bike. Use to riding 20' BMX. I hope this gets some attention I will give as much details needed/possible.
I own a 2011 KHS DJ150.
Specs:
Fork Brand & Model Marzocchi Dirt Jump 3, 100mm travel
Fork Material Single
Brakeset Avid BB5 brakes, Avid FR5 levers
Shift Levers SRAM X.4
Front Derailleur Suntour XCC202
Rear Derailleur SRAM X.5
Crankset Truvativ Rukiton, 24/36 teeth
Bottom Bracket TruVativ Howitzer
Rear Cogs 8-speed, 11 - 32 teeth
Chain KMC Z7
Handlebar Stem Alloy
Headset 1 1/8" Cane Creek Hammer ahead
Rims Weinmann ZAC-X
Tires 26 x 2.3"

The bike is stock as shown in the stock picture. The other two pictures should show an idea of where i'm trying to get with my own dj150.
SPECIFICALLY I wanted to know the parts neccessary to space the sprockets so that I can know how to just create a one speed system as shown in the pictures. or maybe even a single front sprocket and three rear/rightshifter sprockets
Also parts like the chainguard. And the handlebars seem to be lighter and a bit more elevated. Is there a custom headset being used here? Are there certain manufacturers who create these awesome components?
I just want to know how to do this on my own it makes me very exited to see this can be done to my bike.

Once again, Thanks for checking :thumb:
11-dj-150.jpgDSC_0763.jpg20168620145416813876098.jpg

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
All you really need is a singlespeed conversion kit with a cog in the correct size, a chain tensioner that attaches to the hanger and single speed chain (KMC 610hx is good). Google these things and you'll find lots of info.

Mutt

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Lost on Long Island
if you are ONLY riding 'dirt jumps' as in 'trails', not downhillish jumps and lines...... In addition to what the other guys suggested, and slightly more... guerrilla, I'd say:
- chop off some of your seat post
- get lighter tires
- get rid of your front brake and rotor

crxs19

Chimp
Jul 24, 2013
Colorado
Hey Ya'll thanks for the advice this has helped a lot. Sorry it took me so long I honestly didn't think anyone would reply after a while. But I've figured out my setup now. Thanks again. You all get reps from me for what it's worth.

:)

Last edited:

crxs19

Chimp
Jul 24, 2013
Colorado
Oh and in case anyone cared I put a Argyle fork on, single speed conversion kit. some lighter handlebars, ripped the front brake mechanism and cut the seat post.

red_beard

Chimp
Aug 21, 2013
really nice bike, i second the single gear kit. Before you completely remove the front brake set up perhaps ride around without using and then with using it. i considered to remove mine as did a friend and i actually left it there...it serves as a nice balance feature and really wont make that big of a difference...keep this update, excited to see where you go with it

Mutt

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Lost on Long Island
Oh and in case anyone cared I put a Argyle fork on, single speed conversion kit. some lighter handlebars, ripped the front brake mechanism and cut the seat post.

Cool. did you measure the weight change? I just went through a lightening process too (bmx) and shaved 2.5 pounds off, which was kind of nuts. The bike is a bit too fast now (not just because of weight) and I'm freakin over-jumping everything..... I'll adjust in time. In case you are going this far with it, I used a nice site for Ti bolts that has them very reasonably priced at torontocycles. A buddy recommended them and i was not disappointed. But the bolts wouldn't make a lot of sense until you have all the major componentry already pretty light IMO.