Quantcast

Trying to figure out my sTyLe

redlead3

Chimp
Apr 24, 2008
First post, long time reader btw.

I'm trying to find a bike that can do urban, trail, and a little jumping once I get back into shape. I want a bike trail>urban>jumping. Make sense?

I'm looking for a style (DH, XC, DJ) that fits my type of riding and then my size (5'7").

Brands and models will be helpful, links, posts, sizes.

I came to the XC forum because I thought it'd help me the most being it's the closest to my style. I saw a nice Sinister Ridge and it looks just like the geometry I'm looking for. Are there any other frames out there with very similar geometries?

In Desperation,
Redlead

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
look the to the evil DOC and the other one that they make. also any larger street/dj frame should work as well. if the seat tube is in the 17" range the bike should serve you well.

oh one other bike to take a good long look at is the banshee Sirocco (i think that is how its spelled). i use to own one (though not for long) and it is a true do it all hardtail. i bought it as a burly xc bike and it really was just a little to burly for xc. it jumped pretty good and i know that it can take drops all day long.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Also look at the Santa Cruz Chameleon. I have one with a 90mm fork and use it for everything. If I raised my fork it would be more fun for dh.

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
I'm 5'6" and follow my buds on their DH, trail and xc rides with a Specialized SX Trail. It sounds like you want a nice and compact cockpit. I just keep a long enough seatpost so accommodate any trail.

ridenorcal

Chimp
Apr 28, 2008
Gnar-Cal
For an all around trail bike, my Marin Mt. Vision kills it. Its got 5 inches of travel, pretty comfortable geo. and is still pretty light (~29 lbs.). I'd definitely recommend checking one out.

pHeller

Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
Trance, Prophet, or any other Slopestyle inspired or adapted bike.

The Yeti DJ would be a good do it all bike.

Sep 20, 2007
Champaign, IL
Do what most of us do..... just buy something. Then if you don't like it, sell it (at a loss) and buy something else. Repeat. The even better option is to just keep buying more bikes. Fill up your garage, basement, kitchen, bedroom...... wherever. It leads to eternal happiness. I'm bike rich and money poor and loving it.

Really though:

I would look into an aggressive hardtail. Run it 1X9 or 2X9. I started on a Kona Scrap a few years ago and it suited me fine until I could add more bikes. I would stay away from full suspension at first since it will save money and leave you with a bike better suited for urban/DJ. Even something as simple as an azonic steelhead should suit you fine. Make sure you have a long enough seatpost and a quick release clamp so you can get proper saddle height for trail riding. In any case, just get out and ride. I have seen many people on the "wrong" style of bike hand my ass to me riding urban or trails (while I'm on my urban bike or XC race bike). It really is the rider but the right bike helps. Ride on.

sperkins

Monkey
Feb 26, 2008
For an all around trail bike, my Marin Mt. Vision kills it. Its got 5 inches of travel, pretty comfortable geo. and is still pretty light (~29 lbs.). I'd definitely recommend checking one out.

yeah you should definitely check out that bike. very comfortable.

Sep 20, 2007
Champaign, IL
Remember that he wants to ride urban and dirt jump a bit as well. I don't think a 5" bike would be the best all around bike for him, no matter how good it might be as a trail bike.