Chimp
Nov 26, 2009
Illinois
i am trying to decide between:
GT Avalanche 2.0 disc
Giant Yukon
Gary Fisher Wahoo disc
Gary Fisher Marlin

700 is about the max so thats not the problem, my local bike shop has an '09 marlin for 680. Any preferences or suggestions?

cecil

Turbo Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
with the voices in my head
imo if you are going to ride a lot, any of those are a waste of money. your riding ability will out grow those bikes and you will either need to upgrade components, or just plain buy a new bike.
look around for a used bike, someone who spent $1500-$2000 on their bike and it has collected dust in their garage for the last two years........

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
You won't "outgrow" those bikes, skill-wise. I disagree with Cecil on that.

What you will POSSIBLY do is wear out the components quickly. Cheaper-cost bikes have cheaper-quality components that can wear out quickly if you should become a 5x/week rider.

Any of the bikes you listed will be fine. What you need to do is get a bike and learn how to ride.

It's about the rider, not about the bike. Anyone who tells you otherwise is trying to sell you something.

cecil

Turbo Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
with the voices in my head
You won't "outgrow" those bikes, skill-wise. I disagree with Cecil on that.

What you will POSSIBLY do is wear out the components quickly. Cheaper-cost bikes have cheaper-quality components that can wear out quickly if you should become a 5x/week rider.

Any of the bikes you listed will be fine. What you need to do is get a bike and learn how to ride.

It's about the rider, not about the bike. Anyone who tells you otherwise is trying to sell you something.
thanks for elaborating for me, kinda what i was trying to say, nothing worse than spending 7 bills to find out u r spending another 3 to up grade certain things, i still stand by looking for used, could get $1200 in value for $700 in cash, good luck bro money talks, if the lbs wont budge on price see if they will throw in a few tune ups, t shirts,tubes, cables etc.