Quantcast

Tryon trail pics

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
We dodged a bullet with the weather today. I called everyone and nobody wanted to go up so early.... So I went alone. Here are some pics of another side of Tryon....

Seldom used singletrack...

The start of the climb up to the BMX pit...

The Bay...

On up...

Some tricky roots...

More up...

A short steep little climb...

The top...

Retard hill...

Ecoli creek...

Up to the southend...

A log I like to play on...

A gully I like to ride next to

A big ass Maple tree...

A tight quick turn going down...

Heading out...

Token bike against the tree shot...

That all.....jdcamb

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
jdcamb said:
Retard hill...
That's not Retard Hill! That's Spooky Hill, Retard's to the left as you're looking at Spooky.

Plus, to be politically correct, I've started calling it Genius Hill. But it doesn't seem to be catching on :monkey:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Echo said:
That's not Retard Hill! That's Spooky Hill, Retard's to the left as you're looking at Spooky.

Plus, to be politically correct, I've started calling it Genius Hill. But it doesn't seem to be catching on :monkey:

Whatever its called I am not riding down it anytime soon! Right before i took this pic a kid on a Specialized P.3 rode down that. You can see his landing marks in that pic and the one after. It was quite impressive:thumb:. I have seen folks bottom out with DH bikes on that so to see him do it on a hardtail was cool. Just couldn't get the camera out in time.....

I think the key to spooky hill is just to check your speed enough that you get a little tranny under you. It worked very well for me, especially off the left side (right side in the pic) as for retard hill, I've been eying that puppy for a bit now, the drop in could be clearer but the landing doesn't look too bad. Now what I'm wondering about is the DH run that goes straight down a ridge line on the opposite side of the creek, throws in a 10 foot drop and then runs out between two trees into the creek. I saw a mattress propped up against a tree down there, for safety I suppose. However, I didn't see any tire marks. It's one burly looking drop, has anyone here nailed that guy yet?

Gk. Willie

Chimp
May 24, 2004
Rochester, NY
We were hitting that drop but we dont ride there anymore. If you go off it draw a line in the dirt to roll down so your aim is on. Clocking that tree would suck

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
monkeynaut said:
It's one burly looking drop, has anyone here nailed that guy yet?
Yeah a few people have hit it... I hit it last year, pre-mattress :D It's a super smooth landing, you wanna make sure you have the approach lined up right though like GK said.

draco

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
Roche-STAR
monkeynaut said:
Now what I'm wondering about is the DH run that goes straight down a ridge line on the opposite side of the creek, throws in a 10 foot drop and then runs out between two trees into the creek. , has anyone here nailed that guy yet?

we raked that drop out last season. there used to be a mini bridge across the stream. its a solid 15ft if you land near the bottom. my first plan was to roll it slow, and drop like 4ft, but my bikes idea of slow and mine were different. it was huge, but butter smooth. a grommet who does not like me decided that if I could do it, he could too. he ovalized and headtube cracked a headset broke a helmet and bent his fork.

hence, the mattress. :p