Quantcast

TTC Gravity Park update

Feb 17, 2010
A, A
Ok, so we had a meeting the other night, it was pretty much the most dedicated Chattanooga and Cleveland guys who were invited. We got together to decide several things, first of all we needed to make more of a governing body to help shape the group and help keep our goals in focus. Second, utilizing that governing body, we wanted to discuss the future for the TTC Gravity Park and what we would like to see happen. Third, and what is most pressing at this time was to decide what trail maintenance and new trail work needed to be done and or needs to be done in order for us to meet our goals. Those were the top three things that were discussed in detail, although several other subjects came up as well.

Troy Roberts is now the president, I'm the V.P. and Zack Gaston is the Treasurer. This was decided based on what the group thought, who wanted the positions, and who has most of the trail work and put effort into creating this park. It has become more of a legit club as well, we now have dues, which is $30/year, and more regular meetings to make sure that our goals are on track. No decision is made by one person alone, if its something big then its brought to the group and discussed at large and if something small such as a water break then it can be made on the spot.

Part of the reason we have created this group or club, or whatever you want to call us, is that in the future this park has the potential to blow up!! If you look at all of the big mountain bike parks in the southeast, they are more than a couple hrs drive from Chattanooga. The TTC is a 30 minute drive from the base of signal mountain. Not only that but its 700 acres of land that we have access to out there, with incredible land features and excellent elavation. If you compare that to all of the big parks on the eastern seaboard you come up with a relatively small list. Sure you have West Virginia with Snowshoe mountain, but what happens when it gets cold, no more riding, its snowboard season. Then to the south of us is Hurricane Creek freeride park, but how much land do they have to work with and most of their features are man made. Theres nothing wrong with that but nothing beats riding natural gnarly landscape!! Think of it this way, we are at the bottom of something big! We have the chance to build a freeride and downhill park our way. Its on private land, and we are working with the landowner's and the TTC owner's requests and provisions, but we have to potential to build the biggest mountain bike park in the southeast!!

I personally am a huge fan of freeride and an advocate to see several freeride trails go in at the TTC Gravity park. One of the essentials to having a good freeride park though is having access to natural wood, which we have, and alot of cut lumber, which at this point we don't have. We area also in the process of building a skills course, something that is geared towards a beginner to teach people the essentials of riding downhill and freeride. The skills course will include a teeter totter, skinnies, small drops, ladder bridges and small jumps. Again this skills area is made of, you got it, wood!! There is an opportunity that will be coming up for us to receive wood from Volkswagen. I've been working with a local non-profit to help them realize their goal with this project and at the same time it will benefit our park, but we need volunteers. I will be going next week and doing the initial trial run with Create Here to see how its going to work out and if its a viable option then I will fill you in on it more.

Also one thing that we decided at the meeting is that we want to get the "big side" bench cut before the spring and the foliage, such as poison ivey comes out. What I mean is that our current network of trails is on one side of the valley, and we have yet to touch the other side. The potential for the other side is HUGE!!! There is a 7.5 minute ride to the top via a paved concrete road, and that puts you directly on top of 1600 to 1700 ft of elevation. If you are farmiliar with Windrock the ride to the top is far longer and much bumpier than this one is. The top of the ridge though is lined in by pretty steep cliffs all around, but we do have an access point that will have to be bench cut in order to get us from the top to the rest of the mountain. Thats going to take some work, and that work is not going to be easy, but the result and the end product will greatly open our options. There are already multiple fire roads and single track trail cut on that "big side" but there isn't any access from the top, thats what we want to create, and once that happens the potential for a 6-10 minute downhill or freeride run is very possible!!

We will keep you as up to date on the goings on with the park, but my suggestion, get involved, this place is going to be big, and you don't want to be left out in the cold!!

Thanks David Snyder V.P.

If you are looking for pics and some vids check out our Facebook group @ Chattanooga Freeriders.

TryFour

Monkey
Aug 20, 2007
Good stuff man, thanks for posting the update. See my response on the other thread.

This place is really turning out to be incredible. And there will be SO much more to come!!

-Tryon

rideout

Chimp
Sep 15, 2009
Asheville
Is anybody going to be out there this weekend? I will be in visiting family in Murfreesboro, and would love to come check the place out.

I wouldn't be opposed to digging if that was happening either.

roperacer

Monkey
Aug 17, 2009
chattanooga tn
yea if we get this top section cut,, it gonna open up a whole new world for us,,, we just dont have the manpower to do it by spring,,, one more thing,,lets keeps this ttc forum up and kill the rest to many ttc threads

Last edited:

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Ok, I don't remember seeing that much. 950 seems more like it. I think Diablo is only 1050. So you guys have the opportunity to have some great runs.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
The Windrock crew has fluctuated from 1 to as many as 8 or so. But mostly its 3 or so on a regular basis. I've been itching for the snow to melt and get back up there and get to work.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I suggest both find a rider who owns or manages a restaurant that will donate food at every build session. Might not pay for fuel in the saws and leaf blowers, but might help a long way toward fueling the minions.

I realize this is easier said than done and am being sarcastic/optimistic.

roperacer

Monkey
Aug 17, 2009
chattanooga tn
we are actully doing a lil advertising for greenlife grocery,, so that has been brought up...anyweekend we can get a few peeps to cut some trail we can trow some burgers on the grill...im ready for tomm,, bout a half day of work and half day of rideing " in shorts"

anyone wanting to ride,,,call me 423 635 4627..ill be on the 4wheel or bike somewhere!

Last edited:

roperacer

Monkey
Aug 17, 2009
chattanooga tn
well this past saturday about 10 peeps showed up with tools and told me the top part of the big mtn was getting cut today, all the way to existing trail so we can start working on it from the bottom . and we pretty much did. we will be back out there today cuttn trail, riding, whatever! with another day or so of work we should be able to shuttle from the top on the paved road, the first 1/4 mile of trail is( what we cut yesterday) is steep,steep steep and off camber,, weve got alot bench cut and bermed out but is still gonna be knarly then after the knar you can run existing trail/ fire road all the way down the hill...maybe we will have a single track all the way down by summer

vid of what little riding we done after workinghttp://www.pinkbike.com/video/123800/#top

TryFour

Monkey
Aug 20, 2007
Nice work guys! I can't wait to get out there to check it out!

The new stuff looks really good too. Man I wish I could be out there today instead of sitting behind this frickin computer!!

Last edited:

256freeride

Chimp
Apr 8, 2009
South
Sounds like TTC is gonna go a long way. Im in Huntsville, AL and have 4-8 buddies who I might could get to come up there to help build. Any plans on a race?

rideout

Chimp
Sep 15, 2009
Asheville
I had the chance to ride TTC Friday. You guys have done some great work, and the folks who own the place are super nice. Keep up the good work.

sheamus

Chimp
Mar 19, 2008
Athens, GA
Nice video...I liked that teeter-totter. I really gotta come check out your trails as soon as I get my new bike in about a month.

roperacer

Monkey
Aug 17, 2009
chattanooga tn
well saturday we had a line of about 12 people that work 8 hours straight,, almost got the hole top section cut in but it is steep and gonna need alot more work before the average dh,r can have fun gettn down it,, and sunday we rode most of the day,,then today we dozed the shuttle road made a parking lot up top and i think you could prolly drive a 18wheeler up there when its dry,,, more to come,,

TryFour

Monkey
Aug 20, 2007
I had the chance to ride TTC Friday. You guys have done some great work, and the folks who own the place are super nice. Keep up the good work.
It was good riding with you man! Tell your brother to give me a ring and we'll head back out there! He's gotta put that new bike to use!

The thing that I love about the TTC is how much we all care about it! It's always fun to head up there because there is always new trail or stunts to ride! Thanks a ton to everybody who is helping make it a seriously cool park!

roperacer

Monkey
Aug 17, 2009
chattanooga tn
we will be out there saturday morning finishing up the shuttle road,,and if it is dry like it should be we will be running shuttle up the hill saturday after 10 am or so,,then all day sunday. there should be a few people working on the big side of the mtn through the weekend,, so maybe by sunday afternoon we can make a suicide run down the big side,,i know rob and jerm is in,,anyone else?

RapidRob

Chimp
Aug 12, 2009
Bama
,,i know rob and jerm is in
You know it... and i wanted to say to troy and all who work at the TTC that i love what you guys have done. I had'nt rode there since i broke my femur in august, but i had a blast Sunday. Have'nt had that much fun since snowshoe :thumb: Now if you can just add a ski lift...

TryFour

Monkey
Aug 20, 2007
Man, I was up there yesterday, and you guys seriously knocked out some trail on the big side of the mountain! That won't be easy riding, but you put in some serious benching! Thanks for all the work!

The shuttle road looks good too! When it is dry, we'll definitely be able to drive a 2 wheel drive truck up there. :thumb:

Panda

Chimp
Nov 29, 2009
Louisiana
Ill vote for it. If there where 2 decent size jumps at the bottom of the chute it would help maintain your speed for the jump over the road. Plus it would just be a cool place to put some jumps. Free speed , spectator friendly , easy access to keep maintained. Just a though.