Quantcast

tttttttuesdayyyyyy gfmt

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Forget what I said about braces, I just thought of an entire industry that does nothing more than recycle old ideas and present them as new to a younger generation, and charge way more money. Product life cycle is about 12 months so the job security and "design" engagement is guaranteed. It's called mountainbiking.
I'll name the 159.786mm rear axle standard after you. WOOst spacing.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Forget what I said about braces, I just thought of an entire industry that does nothing more than recycle old ideas and present them as new to a younger generation, and charge way more money. Product life cycle is about 12 months so the job security and "design" engagement is guaranteed. It's called mountainbiking.
Still haven’t gotten over Biopace chainrings and neon yellow jerseys ?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
you know those perfectly illustrate my point right?

I can assure you, I'm quite 'over' everything mtb industry related and have been for a very long time :rofl:

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Only if we can throw in a matching fanny pack.
I appreciate the sentiment. I have a pretty good collection of both from the bodies however...

Some people hang buck antlers on their walls, others...

Primal Wear skintight jersey
You think that's bad, wait till you see what passes for "dh gear" these days

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
I appreciate the sentiment. I have a pretty good collection of both from the bodies however...

Admit it, occasionally you take them down and wear’em around the house while twisting your own nipples and making kissy faces in the mirror.

Oh, I have seen some of the “my sister’s jeans” look in DH gear.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord

wait...are my baggy cargo shorts and dirty white t's back in fashion?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Ughh I have a feeling that the engine in my car might be toast. Got it back to the shop but told them not to do much work to it, just run diagnostics and troubleshooting. If it's engine wear causing low oil pressure once everything is warmed up, then frig me.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Ughh I have a feeling that the engine in my car might be toast. Got it back to the shop but told them not to do much work to it, just run diagnostics and troubleshooting. If it's engine wear causing low oil pressure once everything is warmed up, then frig me.
Perfect time to install a big-ass turbo. :D

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Is the shop competent?
They seem to be. It's a clean shop that has been around for 35 years and owned by the same guy.

It's my first time using them, but I used to deliver parts to them in college and was always amazed at how clean and tidy the place was...even the parking lot.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
could be an oil pump...

could be...

From what I can tell, replacing the oil pump on this thing will equal $$$. Basically everything on the front of it needs to come off for it. And the gasket looks like spaghetti.

It probably won't be worth doing that kind of work to it.

The thing that will suck is if I need to find a car in a hurry. We all know what used cars are like these says and the lack of new ones just sitting around...

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
:banghead:

Some days I feel like I chose the wrong career path. Today is one of those days. Yesterday too. Come of it, so was the day before that, and the one before that too.
I wonder about mine at this stage. Chatbots can damn near do my job now, in 5 years it will be a given maybe.

Go to Tesla truck driving school maybe?

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
How much do you not want to buy a new car? If the answer is a lot, heavier oil is your answer, had a beater Ranger that was missing most of a rod bearing, 5 quarts of 90wt gear oil and she purred like a kitten and made all the oil pressure. If you're going to buy a new car, definitely don't run 60wt diesel oil and off the car to Givemethevin.com or CarMax with "good" oil pressure.

dad moved moms to memory care today. she's *not* pleased but it needed to happen. alzheimers can suck it.
Shit situation, but the right move IMHO, see below

I'm going to have to do that for Hilarie at some point. Not looking forward to it.

I think I've mentioned it before, but having lost 3 out of 4 grandparents to Alzheimers, as shitty as it was to have to put them in a memory care/locked facility, their quality of life was so much better after they had round the clock care from professionals who actually knew WTF they were doing. You're clearly not a jerk, so I'm sure you'll make sure she's in a solid spot and visit all the time, so yeah, it's going to suck in the short term, but she'll be so much better off long term.

We're getting close to the point of my dad needing to be in a memory care facility as well, but neither my mom or brother is seeing it clearly despite going through the same thing 3x before. Alzheimer's can fuck all the way off.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Ice-mageddon here in Texas. F-ing horrible. Cant go anywhere. And the ale house and twin peaks are both closed. Supposed to be the same tomorrow.
00DA0BC7-91B7-4EC4-A6FB-1F9DA8EA99D3.jpeg
57ACC9DC-07DD-462D-A59C-46C09525AD21.jpeg
13316CE5-041F-49DB-BE33-896B5AF09DA8.jpeg

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
How much do you not want to buy a new car? If the answer is a lot, heavier oil is your answer, had a beater Ranger that was missing most of a rod bearing, 5 quarts of 90wt gear oil and she purred like a kitten and made all the oil pressure. If you're going to buy a new car, definitely don't run 60wt diesel oil and off the car to Givemethevin.com or CarMax with "good" oil pressure.
I really dont want to buy a new car. Though part of that feeling is that I feel like everything is overpriced, there's no more cheap boxes on wheels. Want a Carolla? That'll be 30k please.

And also the fact that I haven't had a car payment in years.

But yeah if the engine is worn out, then thicker oil will need to be the bandaid until I can find a suitable replacement. I also don't want to be forced into scrambling to buy something. Don't worry, I for sure won't trade it in with the oil light not on for a few extra bucks lol. In reality, the car also needs a new windshield and the clutch is getting there. So I won't get much for it anyways..

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
I really dont want to buy a new car. Though part of that feeling is that I feel like everything is overpriced, there's no more cheap boxes on wheels. Want a Carolla? That'll be 30k please.

And also the fact that I haven't had a car payment in years.
Unpopular option, used Prius. Those stupid things seem to run forever, are surprisingly decent to drive, roomy as hell, they're cheap and plentiful, and you can go all mad scientist and convert them to a plug-in hybrid/ cause a massive electrical fire depending on your skill level. F buying new "cheap" cars, why anybody would spend $30k on a Corolla when you can just get a used Lexus for that is beyond me

ixnay on the olay....

canadadada

His car won't turn over until july

Block heater? Just keep it running? send it?

What's the worst that could happen, it ends up with low oil pressure? If anything all that extra friction from an oil-free top end will help it get up to temp faster.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Unpopular option, used Prius. Those stupid things seem to run forever, are surprisingly decent to drive, roomy as hell, they're cheap and plentiful, and you can go all mad scientist and convert them to a plug-in hybrid/ cause a massive electrical fire depending on your skill level. F buying new "cheap" cars, why anybody would spend $30k on a Corolla when you can just get a used Lexus for that is beyond me

Block heater? Just keep it running? send it?

What's the worst that could happen, it ends up with low oil pressure? If anything all that extra friction from an oil-free top end will help it get up to temp faster.
My buddy had a Prius V and yeah it was great. Can easily fit a bike in the back of it too.

The only problem is that when I've looked for them used over the last few months, there is only 1 or 2 for sale. And they have really high miles and are freaking priced to the moon.

Used car market around here still sucks. A lot of it is old over priced junk or newer overpriced stuff, so much so that you might as well look at a new car.

Just did another quick search. 6 of them out there and $30k for that one. What are they smoking? :rofl:

Last edited: