Quantcast

Tube amp... hardness?

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Brian HCM#1 said:
Kinda like listening with your eyes closed and the sales guy switching back and forth.
no, the sales guy undoubtedly would say things that would tip you off: "now listen to THIS system" etc.

such a test is simply not rigorous, and altho i guess half the joy of owning a high zoot system is knowing that you paid a lot for a high zoot system that other people think is hot, the other half (sound quality) should be measurable in a controlled situation.

lux

Monkey
Mar 25, 2004
Wilmington, NC
mrbigisbudgood said:
I read through all the crap in the thread. :dead:
There's at least three threads going on at once. I can't even remember why I came in here. Didn't some guy ask about tubes for his guitar amp?

BTW -- Groove Tubes are flexy and their rebound damping sux.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Toshi said:
no, the sales guy undoubtedly would say things that would tip you off: "now listen to THIS system" etc.

such a test is simply not rigorous, and altho i guess half the joy of owning a high zoot system is knowing that you paid a lot for a high zoot system that other people think is hot, the other half (sound quality) should be measurable in a controlled situation.
I normally go into a store knowing which ones I want to hear, so thats what I'm focusing on. Basicly the sales person is switching back and forth when I tell him to do so.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Brian HCM#1 said:
I normally go into a store knowing which ones I want to hear, so thats what I'm focusing on. Basicly the sales person is switching back and forth when I tell him to do so.
And you're using this expensive high fidelity equipment to listen to Ratt and Winger and AC/DC? :confused: :p

-S.S.-

Bldr_DH

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
NO BO CO
Thanks to mrbigisbudgood, H8R and Lux for the info. I was turned towards some JJ's over on Harmony Central, so looks like those'll be my next ones.

As for the rest of you... well, I'm glad I could start a thread where (I'm guessing) you had a good discussion or two... :think: :)

mrbigisbudgood

Strangely intrigued by Echo
Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
Bldr_Freerider said:
Thanks to mrbigisbudgood, H8R and Lux for the info. I was turned towards some JJ's over on Harmony Central, so looks like those'll be my next ones.

As for the rest of you... well, I'm glad I could start a thread where (I'm guessing) you had a good discussion or two... :think: :)
Hey, I'm mrbigisbudgood on HC also!!!!!!!!!!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Brian HCM#1 said:
Ratt, Cinderella, Disturbed, Unearthed, Alice in Chains etc. I don't like AC/DC or Winger.
Have you done anything to the room you listen in to make the sound better? Being half empty and with hardwood floors my house is nothing but an echo chamber, anything more than a basic stereo system would be a complete waste of money.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Westy said:
Have you done anything to the room you listen in to make the sound better? Being half empty and with hardwood floors my house is nothing but an echo chamber, anything more than a basic stereo system would be a complete waste of money.
I added some insulation to the walls when the house was being built. My main speakers aren't in a ideal place, but still sound pretty damn good.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Brian HCM#1 said:
I added some insulation to the walls when the house was being built. My main speakers aren't in a ideal place, but still sound pretty damn good.
I never saw his place but a coworker of mine built a listening room. No windows, acoustic tiles all over the walls an ceiling and sound traps in the corners.