Quantcast

Tube recommendation?

2tirefire

Chimp
Jun 1, 2009
I am not sure if it is because I am a Newb or not using the correct keywords in the search function on RM powered by Google, so please let me know if I am skipping over a certain keyword to answer my question.

I am looking for a suitable DH/FR tube for my 2.5" tires. I have a mis-matched set currently and would like to replace them with a great set of tubes. I will be riding in Whistler and Sun Peaks within the next month, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
That's a fine tube.

Most tubes per class or size are the same, so you can get a DH tube from any manufacturer and be ok.

There are subtleties, like one company's FR tube is another's XC tube. But width and, believe it or not, the size of the box gives it away.

That box is the largest size for a tube, which mean you will get the thickest tube possible.

2tirefire

Chimp
Jun 1, 2009
When you say the box I posted is the largest size for a tube are you referring to it's width fitments being 2.4 to 2.75 inches?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
When you say the box I posted is the largest size for a tube are you referring to it's width fitments being 2.4 to 2.75 inches?
Well, this comes from working in various bike shops:

thornproof tubes, which are ridiculously thick, come in the same box size as the Quality Tubes DH box. dh tubes are wider than a thornproof (which are only 26x2.1 in width), but less thick.

but considering i have run from xc tubes to dh tubes (but never a thornproof), whenever I see a big tube box, I always laugh thinking you are basically installing a thornproof tube.