Quantcast

Tubeless Question....

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
I'm using Mavic 3.1 UST rims and have had Huthison Octopus Tubeless tires on them since they were new. They never leaked air and I never had a problem.

Yesterday I put on a pair of Maxxis Minion DHF's (a non-tubeless tire) and mounted them up without tubes on my UST rims (with 2 scoops of Stans on each tire). This morning I went out to check on them and while they were not flat, they had most definitely lost quite a bit of air. What can I do to prevent these things from leaking?:help:

Also (here comes the dumbest question) when I took off my old tires the Stans that I had put in them months ago was just as fluid (liquidy?) as when I put them in the tires 7-8 months ago. Is this normal? Sorry for the dumb question, but I'm still pretty new to the tubeless thing....

Thanks!

J

JRB

I just use latex and washer fluid and don't have any problems with them. It is likely the tires and a little more latex and a few day of adding air should make them fine. I have a Tioga tire and a WTB tire on non UST rims with strips and latex, and haven't had any issues. It may just take a few days. Riding them should help.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Read the back of the stans Bottle. It will talk about how to Shake the tire. Also Put the tire under water to see were the Bubbles are coming from. then move the tire around so the fluid covers that area. Also try runing about 60 psi while your doing that. Once you find no more leaks then lower your air pressure to a desired level

J

JRB

Not to discount DirtyMike, because he is mostly right, but I have a friend that blew the wall out of a 3.1 with 60 lbs of air. I wouldn't go much higher than 45 or 50 lbs. That is enough air to blow it up.

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
I kinda figured that it may just take a few days for things to "set in" I won't be able to ride today, but the bike is in the stand and everytime I walk by I give the wheels a spin. I'll put them in the tub too to see where they are leaking from too.

Thanks as usual!

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
OK, just went out to the garage to have another look....

I didn't have nearly the air pressure in the tires that I thought I did. I pumped them up to 50PSI and heard a couple "pops" so it is very possible that the tires were not beaded completely. I then gave the sealing area a good look. There was no need to put them in the tub as is was obvious to see where they were leaking because there was a small amount of Stans bubbling out. I took the bike for a 10 ride hitting all of the bumps that I could find. I then put it back on the stand and gave the sealing surface another look.....the was Stans were the tires had been leaking, but it was no longer bubbling (I'm thinking that the Stans filled the leak thanks to the added PSI....

Keep your fingers crossed!

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
loco said:
Not to discount DirtyMike, because he is mostly right, but I have a friend that blew the wall out of a 3.1 with 60 lbs of air. I wouldn't go much higher than 45 or 50 lbs. That is enough air to blow it up.

Hahaha Yeah i should have added to make sure the tire can handle that much air first.....

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
jeb4 said:
OK, just went out to the garage to have another look....

I didn't have nearly the air pressure in the tires that I thought I did. I pumped them up to 50PSI and heard a couple "pops" so it is very possible that the tires were not beaded completely. I then gave the sealing area a good look. There was no need to put them in the tub as is was obvious to see where they were leaking because there was a small amount of Stans bubbling out. I took the bike for a 10 ride hitting all of the bumps that I could find. I then put it back on the stand and gave the sealing surface another look.....the was Stans were the tires had been leaking, but it was no longer bubbling (I'm thinking that the Stans filled the leak thanks to the added PSI....

Keep your fingers crossed!
Once i got mine sealed right i was able to drop them to 25 lbs without any troubles

J

JRB

johnbryanpeters said:
Not just the tire, you can blow the rim walls out. Read the fine print on Mavics.
Yeah - that's what I was referring to. I did it to a Rigida rim and nearly broke my thumb. :ouch:

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Ummm, If the rims are blowing up with 60 lbs.... Get new ones. Only time you should see that happening is with Rim based brake styles in which the sidewalls of the rim are plain worn out. My single track can take everybit of 60 psi. in fact rated at 140 or something silly like that