Quantcast

Tubeless Roadie Tires?

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I'm sick of changing tubez when I ride my roadie bike with all the goatheads/cactus/etc out here in the Badlands.

I would love to convert to tubeless, since I never have problems with my tubeless mtb set up.

Anyone have a home made setup that works?

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
nothing special, i have bone stock '06 Trek 1200 that i payed $300 for used.
Run what you have and jettison the tire for a more durable tire and run the crap out of the tire pressure. just don't leave a ride with less then 70lbs in your tires... racy light tires = flats. I like Hutchinsons long wear tires, they are cheap and awesome!

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Probably the best tire I have used for road to fight against flats is the vittoria Diamonte pro folding.

As far as converting to tubeless for road, that scares me a bit with the pressures we run. I cant say though that I have seen a drop in flats from thorns with tubeless vs tubes, but the tubeless does ride alot better.

Maybe get the slime lite tubes for the roadie, they have worked well for me in the best

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
The guys running road tubeless do it for the ride quality rather than as a solution to flats. I think it'd be an expensive experiment on your end. It's not like mountain bikes where all you need is a rim strip and jug of sealant. Road tubeless entails a tubeless wheelset and a tubeless tire. Failure to have both will result in the tire blowing off before reaching 100psi. The pressures being worked with don't allow the same interchangability and experimentation as a ghetto mountain set up. I work in a roadie shop, this is less marketing fluff, and more first hand experience with customers trying it.

UST road tires are heavy anyway. More so than a nice 23c slick and tube combined. (hutchinson ust vs conti 4000 and standard tube). The wheelsets are heavier too because of UST hook requirements. I'd just put that weight into a 23c gatorskin tire.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I am a huge fan of tubeless for MTBs and use UST tires with sealant and almost never have problems. I do not have any real world experience with road tubeless, but I would not bother with it. I have heard of lots of problems with seating, sealing, beads staying on rims and all that. There's a reason why not many people use it. Tubeless wheelsets are somewhat more common now, but there are not that many tires available and what is around is comparatively expensive. As others said, try sealant in the tubes and heavier-duty tires. People seem to love conti gatorskins. I use Michelin Krylion 25c and haven't had a flat on them yet.