Quantcast

Tubeless setup help

Feb 19, 2006
heres the trouble

I got my front tire to bead up. michi. dh16 to 823 but I can't get the same setup to work for my rear. Any tips? I have done the tap and spin thing and have the valve at the bottom. Ps: I am using a compressor too.

Thanks.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
1 Check to make sure there are no kinks in the bead.
2 Mich tires seem to want to want to collapse (beads stay together) making them dififcult sometimes. You could try to air up with a tube for a bit to form/stretch the tire.
3 remove the valve core to allow more air in faster (what kind of compressor?).
4 try a little soapy water on the bead
5 take a tie-down or strap of some sort and snug around the circumfrence of the tire...compressing the tread a bit and forcing the bead out into the rim.

that is all I have now

Feb 19, 2006
Thanks guys!
In the end...

I put a tube in, inflated to 50 psi, left it for an hour and then took the tube out, soaped it up a bit and let it rip! all is well in the land of no tubes now.

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
Has anyone tried using reg. (non tubeless) tires with stans and tubeless to save weight?

I have xc friends using non tubeless tires this way and it is way faster.
Just wondering if the sidewalls etc. would hold up under the stress of Dh riding.

I tried it for slalom and it worked pretty well. Really light, but you have
to run high pressure. This may take the benefits away from running them
for Dh but, maybe 2ply sidewalls would actually hold up?

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Has anyone tried using reg. (non tubeless) tires with stans and tubeless to save weight?

I have xc friends using non tubeless tires this way and it is way faster.
Just wondering if the sidewalls etc. would hold up under the stress of Dh riding.
I tried it for slalom and it worked pretty well. Really light, but you have
to run high pressure. This may take the benefits away from running them
for Dh but, maybe 2ply sidewalls would actually hold up?

are you asking if anyone runs single ply non-tubeless .... for DH with stans?
That is not a good idea IMO, I dent rims enough with 2.5 DH tires at decient pressures..... but I do run non-tubeless 2 ply tires for dh and non-tubeless single ply tires for trail/all non dh........all with stans and without tubes.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Last time I had a problem with fit, installing a tube for a few hours (in my case, a few days) fixed it.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
I have stacks of new Maxxis HighRollers & Minions. None UST.
I am also building some 721s for DH use.
With all the reading I have done here on RM, I am certainly going to try the tubeless setup.
ChainReaction doesn't supply Stans though, so I'll be trying 'No Flats Joe's' tubeless rim strips.
Anyone tried NoFlatsJoe's?

jcook90

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2006
Connecticut
I actually used the search function so don't flame but...few questions about tubeless (stan's). I'm starting to understand how they work now, put on the rim strip and tire, inflate it onto the bead and then fill it with sealant to make sure nothing leaks.
How much maintenance do they take, like does the sealant dry up or do slow leaks occur?
Also can you run folding bead DH tires (Intense FRO-lites) with stans? thanks for any help

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
I have not used any folding DH tires, but I run folding single ply non-ust tires every day on the 'lil' bike.

Maintainance depends on the tire/rim/, some seem to loose a bit of pressure over time some dont. When you FIRST mount them, and the stans has not coated every area, they sometimes leak down a bit. Getting the bead set well, and making sure to distribute the stans helps a ton (just go ride them for 10 min after mounting).

The worst continual leaking I have had, would require a check/few pumps every couple of weeks. Something I would do even with tubes....

I have not had an issue with drying of the stans (change tires a couple of times a year for changing conditions) but I would imagine that if you were inflating/deflating a bunch/having to continually add 'new air', that might tend to dry the sealant.

cmoney

Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Save your money on the rim strips and use a 20 inch bmx tube with a threaded valve stem,split the tube right down the middle and fold the edges over the rim,mount tire with stan's sealant,remove valve core and inflate with a compressor to about 40 psi,mount wheel on bike and go for a quick spin around the hood to circulate all the stan's,trim excess tube with a razor blade and you are done.Way cheaper than buying rim strips and works just as well.