Quantcast

Tubeless setup with non-UST tires?

guiepinto

Chimp
Nov 17, 2009
Brazil
I'm running tubeless on 823s rims and UST tires.
And it works perfectly...

But I still have a few non-UST tires from my previous wheels setup.

Has anyone used regular (non-UST) tires tubeless?
Is it just a matter of adding Stans fluid?

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Just do everything the same as you do with UST. I'm riding non UST tires set up tubeless on both my bikes. It might be slightly harder to get the bead set but after that it works just fine.

Konabumm

Konaboner
Jun 13, 2003
Hollywood, Maryland, United States
all of my tubeless setups use non ust tires now. Pretty much it just takes a little longer to get them to stay inflated. Add fluid - use soap suds to find bubbles - do the shaky shaky - and move it all about. Thats what it's all about

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
all of my tubeless setups use non ust tires now. Pretty much it just takes a little longer to get them to stay inflated. Add fluid - use soap suds to find bubbles - do the shaky shaky - and move it all about. Thats what it's all about
X2:thumb:

Try and stay away from Kendas the amonia in stans eats them fast and yellows the logos as well as leaches through the sides breaking it down quick.

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
I run non-UST tires tubeless on my 823 rims with no problems. The issue is getting the bead to set on the rim. I have been unable to get the bead to "pop" with any sort of hand pump. Every time, I've had to go to the local gas station and use the air compressor. And yes, I always use Stans.

I really like Maxxis tires, and I really wish I could run their UST stuff for DH, especially since I can actually get the bead to set with a normal pump. Unfortunately, the sidewalls never hold up.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
Maxxis non-UST mount SO easily to tubeless rims. I'll bet you could mount them easily with a floor pump (though I always use my air compressor). And yeah...just pour a cup or 2 of Stan's in there.

NJHCx4xLIFE

Monkey
Jan 23, 2007
Central Jersey
To avoid the Stans just go get molding latex from the craft store. 1:1 ratio of latex and water and then add in some glitter to plug bigger holes. $8 worth of latex once mixed up lasted me over a year with changing tires often.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
To avoid the Stans just go get molding latex from the craft store. 1:1 ratio of latex and water and then add in some glitter to plug bigger holes. $8 worth of latex once mixed up lasted me over a year with changing tires often.
Wouldnt that be similiar to cafelatex, it has no amonia but it has a pretty big failure thread. Just asking as I always use stans...

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
X2:thumb:

Try and stay away from Kendas the amonia in stans eats them fast and yellows the logos as well as leaches through the sides breaking it down quick.
Not true. Our sealant contains less than .01% ammonia and will not harm tires. The issues with standard Kenda tires setup tubeless are with the porosity of the sidewalls, grooves molded in the chafer strip along the bead and the occasional bad bond between casing and tread rubber.

NJHCx4xLIFE

Monkey
Jan 23, 2007
Central Jersey
Wouldnt that be similiar to cafelatex, it has no amonia but it has a pretty big failure thread. Just asking as I always use stans...

No idea. Never used, or looked into cafelatex. What could possibly fail? Its liquid rubber. Not trying to be a e-douche... serious question. The homemade has worked great for me and I would say equal to the stans at a fraction of the cost. It seals the small stuff just the same and I never had luck with stan's sealing bigger holes anyway. Just my .02

miuan

Monkey
Jan 12, 2007
Bratislava, Slovakia
I managed to inflate a non-UST single ply 2.35 Minion on a DT 6.1 rim with a cheap floor pump. The bead popped on the rim nicely and held there firmly even after deflating all air.

jekyll991

Monkey
Nov 30, 2009
Belfry, KY
I have 2.5 maxxis minions mounted to mtx 29's setup ghetto tubeless, it actually held air very well with no sealant. Unfortunately I used slime so there are a few very fine pin holes her and there and the bead doesn't seal perfectly, but it will hold air for almost a month.

What tire pressure do you guys recommend? I'm a lightweight 120lbs, so I'd like to run 15 psi but I'm afraid of popping it off the bead, but when I run 20 I can tell traction on hard pack and control in the rocky stuff has been sacrificed.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Not true. Our sealant contains less than .01% ammonia and will not harm tires. The issues with standard Kenda tires setup tubeless are with the porosity of the sidewalls, grooves molded in the chafer strip along the bead and the occasional bad bond between casing and tread rubber.
Thats good to know not like I even run a Kenda anymore and personally if you had more amonia Id still rock your product as its nasty and aggresive for sealing tire issues! Ive had great luck with it :thumb: Im OK with that.........

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
No idea. Never used, or looked into cafelatex. What could possibly fail? Its liquid rubber. Not trying to be a e-douche... serious question. The homemade has worked great for me and I would say equal to the stans at a fraction of the cost. It seals the small stuff just the same and I never had luck with stan's sealing bigger holes anyway. Just my .02
Nah your not being an Edouche LOL I know theres a whole thread on how cafeLATEX doesnt work real well at all. Its latex but fails so I was basing it off of not so good reviews from alot of different people. Thats all and I was also under the assumtion that Stans had more amonia and bite to the rubber. I figured that was probably part of the reason it worked so well but apparently it has very little amonia. I know the cafelatex sells on the NO amonia point.

So good to know that standard latex mixxed works well with glitter (what color for big holes :D) and that stans has so little amonia in it.