Quantcast

Tubeless/tubed apples and oranges

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
So. I've been running tubeless tires for the last 3 seasons and loving it. Better traction, few flats, better faster ride, few flats, but less tire choice and more money but fewer flats and a little heavier.

I have a set of perfectly good DTswiss4.1 D wheels and tubed Kenda Karma L3R 2.1 tires. It has been drier than a popcorn fart in August around here so I wanted the volume and stickyness of those Kendas. They have been on for about two weeks.

They feel a lot bouncier even with similar air pressures. Kind of like a bouncy full basketball kind of bounce versus a semi soft basketball. I filled them last night to 32 front and 35 or so rear. I weigh around 140. One was quite low ( gee I thought it was tubeless which needed to be pumped up daily[sarcasm if you didn't notice]) I got a flat last night and I wasn't really pushing much at all. hmmph. Traction was similar to what I feel with tubeless but I was running the tubed tires pretty soft and flatted as a result. Classic pinch flat. Bink. pffffft. In about one second it was completely flat.

The tubeless have been reinstalled. I hate flats.

Now this is an apples and oranges comparison because the wheels and tires are not the same. A better comparison would be to use a tubed Python versus a tubeless Python on the same wheels. But anywho, there you go.

If anyone cares.

Jesus

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
Louisville, KY
I always run tubeless, but rarely ever run a tubeless tire. With Stan's I just save on average about 200 grams per tire. Get a sticky compound tire, and everything is fine.

cdwilson

Chimp
Aug 25, 2004
Reno
I've been runnning Python tubeless for over a year now and love them... ie. zero flats. I've been wondering about saving the weight and using a regular tire with the Stan's sealant (without a tube). I'm affraid they won't hold up as well??? Can anyone recommend non ust tires that they have converted and had success with.

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
cdwilson said:
Can anyone recommend non ust tires that they have converted and had success with.
Kenda Karma Stick E
Kenda Kozmik Lite
Kenda Blue Grooves
Hutchinson Python Air Light, Mosquito Gold, and Mosquito Air Light
Continental Explorer and Vertical Pro

Save some weight and save some money.

cali4niabiker

Monkey
Jun 29, 2004
ATLANTA, GA
Mike B. said:
Kenda Karma Stick E
Kenda Kozmik Lite
Kenda Blue Grooves
Hutchinson Python Air Light, Mosquito Gold, and Mosquito Air Light
Continental Explorer and Vertical Pro

Save some weight and save some money.
Michelin Comps (doesn't matter which ones)
Maxxis Highrollers (double ply versions work great!)
Kenda Kinetics (see above)

NOTE: DON'T EVER USE Panaracer Fire XC Pro tires (non-UST). They work, but you are talking about pumping it up every 24 - 48 hours = pain in the a$$. Even a huge load of Stan's doesn't do the trick.

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
Actually I've had 50/50 success with non-UST Fire XC Pros -- one of 'em would leak out overnight, the other held air just fine.

Aside from those I've converted Maxxis Minions, Kenda Nevegals/Blue Grooves, and a few other assorted tires to tubeless, most of 'em work fine. I've found the rim is more of a factor than the tire, really...

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Yeah, tubeless are awesome. Won't do it for DH yet; too prone to denting rims and such. But I have mavic rims and conti vertical pro 2.3 tires on my Giant VT. No flats yet, awesome grip, hold air well. Awesome setup.