Quantcast

Tubes or not to tubes

Boomer-61

Chimp
Jul 17, 2002
Atlanta, GA
I need new rims and am thinking about going tubeless. I don't know much about tubeless and have some general questions. Are they that much lighter? Can you still run a conventional tube/tire on them if you need to? What do you do if you pick up a thorn and get a puncture; how do you repair it? What are some good resources to learn more about them? My riding style for now is general trail, don't race XC or DH. My ride weight is about 190lbs.
Thanks.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
UST is overkill. I run Mavic 717XC's and regular WTB tires with stan's. Works great!

Boomer-61

Chimp
Jul 17, 2002
Atlanta, GA
Excuse my ignorance but if you go standard tires and rims, what does the "stans" do? Is it a sealent you put in the tube or tire without a tube? If this is a sealent, does it go bad or accumulate and coat the inside of the tire with months of goo or whatever, adding to the weight of the wheel/tire? sounds like you don't need special rims which is good news, but it sounds like you need a some sort of kit to convert. I'll check out your recommendations. Thanks.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Stan's is a system. Rim strip with built in valve plus a sealant. You can use tubed tires with about 60 grams of sealant or UST tires with none. But a scoop to each UST is a good way to avoid thorn and other small puntures if that's a problem in your area. That would add about 30 grams. If you change tires often to suit varrying conditions any sealant is a bit messy.

Stan's also sell rims and wheels and aluminum rotors. Really light stuff which I wouldn't use for everyday riding. Mavic tubeless rims which one uses to build onto standard hubs are not superlight. Mavic tubeless rims which are on their Crossmax wheels are light. Shimano rims on their tubeless wheels are also light. So if you are just going for rims, UST rims might give you a heavier wheel than you currently have. I think they are in the high 400 gram range.

With Stan's and a regular rim, you have to use a sealing strip which are around 50 grams plus sealant if you use a standard tire. You really need to do the math to see how it all measures out. It's pretty close with the light UST tires available today.

The real advantage to tubeless is a lack of pinch flats, decreased rolling resistance from being able to use less air and no tube casing friction and increased traction and control from using less air.

For spokes, always go double butted. The wheel will be more resiliant and will last longer. There is nothing wrong with aluminum nipples either. You do need to build and true with more care though as they are easier to round off. Use locktite spoke prep or something similar on the threads to seal them from the elements which will help stave off corrosion which will seize any nipple, brass or aluminum, in time.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
I run Mavic CrossMax's and am a middle of the road rider (I do everything, ride a Heckler). I have been running tubeless for almost 3 years now. Prior to the CrossMax's I had Mavic x & d 3.1's respectively. I run Stan's in my tires as well, it is not "necessary" when running a UST rim and tire, but it adds to the ease of use.

I run a UST specific tire in the back and non UST tire in the front. I think I have had maybe 4 or 5 flats in the past 3 years. Usually something catastrophic like a side wall tear from a rock or something. Do carry a tube just in case, and so long as you didnt just put in the Stans (it is messy before it starts to coagulate (if that is a word) changing putting in a tube is not a big deal.

Boomer-61

Chimp
Jul 17, 2002
Atlanta, GA
Hey Old fart, thanks for the info, very informative, I appreciate it. When you look at all the extra grams it seems like the weight is a wash and it's more about rolling performance. I wish I could ride them to appreciate the difference but haven't run accross anyone with them yet. Thanks for your help.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Boomer-61 said:
Hey Old fart, thanks for the info, very informative, I appreciate it. When you look at all the extra grams it seems like the weight is a wash and it's more about rolling performance. I wish I could ride them to appreciate the difference but haven't run accross anyone with them yet. Thanks for your help.
You likely won't be able to tell a difference. I couldn't. Of course, I'm not very perceptive. :D

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
I love my tubeless set up on my dh bike, no more pinch flats, I use the maxxis rim strips, stan's sealant and reg maxxis tyres. every 6 months or so I have to add sealant cuz the air starts leaking out, a ust tyre would likely solve this. I haven't done this to my all-mountain bike yet.

AustinM

Chimp
Feb 22, 2005
what makes stans lighter is the fact that you can run a regular kevlar tire in it. A UST tire has a fair bit of extra weight compared to a regular tire.