Quantcast

Tubular question...

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
I had to remove a tubie to send in a wheels for warranty. As I was removing the tire, the base tape began to peel off at the edge in certain areas. Can this be repaired reliably (i.e. glue it back with tubular glue?), or is it done for?

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
Depends on how bad it is...pics?

In the past I've slapped some tubie glue between the base tape and the casing, laid it flat, and allowed the glue to cure.

For future reference, when deal with (especially) Conti tubies, take the time to brush the glue from the basetape onto the sidewall of the tire. Helps keep the basetape attached.

Also, what method did you use for removing the tire?

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
What I do:

find a spot on the tire....roll as much as you can on both sides in a given area (maybe an inch long)...very, very gently, pry a small flat head screwdriver underneath, making sure not to tear basetape/ puncture tube. once through, roll the screwdriver...this shouldn't be an easy task. I'm usually pretty red in the face by the time I'm done. Once done far enough down, you can usually pull the tire off by hand. Once you get into a groove, you'll be able to pull off the tire with very little glue left on the rim...easing the process of gluing and mounting the next tire.

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
Depends on how bad it is...pics?

In the past I've slapped some tubie glue between the base tape and the casing, laid it flat, and allowed the glue to cure.

For future reference, when deal with (especially) Conti tubies, take the time to brush the glue from the basetape onto the sidewall of the tire. Helps keep the basetape attached.

Also, what method did you use for removing the tire?
The tape on the Conti actually tore. The Tufo I have was maybe 5mm from the edge.

As for the method, I just rolled it back and forth until a section came up and could peel the tire off.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
You peel a tubie off by hand. No tools. If your feeling especially weak a plastic tool would be OK though. If the base tape starts to come off it is a sign that the tape is not glued on well enough anymore. Just reglue it with rim cement. If it's just the edge and the glued part is still really solid, your good. If you've ever repaired a flat, you'd know how well the tape is bonded to the tire. Not that stuck on that you can't get it off by hand once you pry up an edge a bit.