Quantcast

Tubular repair?

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I have a Dugast tire that is in need of some love. The tube has several holes in it, but the casing is still in good condition. I was thinking about buying this repair kit and then replacing the tube. Has anyone opened a tubular and changed the tube? Any advice? What size tube should I buy?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I have a Dugast tire that is in need of some love. The tube has several holes in it, but the casing is still in good condition. I was thinking about buying this repair kit and then replacing the tube. Has anyone opened a tubular and changed the tube? Any advice? What size tube should I buy?
I was going to say, unless tubulars have changed in the last 20 years, you can't change the tube.

You would have to cut open the entire casing to pull out the tube (latex, the leakiest type).

There is nothing wrong with patching it, although no tubular is "like new" after you fix it.

That's why I will never race on tubulars again.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
You would have to cut open the entire casing to pull out the tube (latex, the leakiest type).
That is what I intended to do, is that bad? It will be a PITA to sew back up, but still better than dropping another $100 for a new tire

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
Warning, spam-like post right ahead:

ire, small puncture holes? If so, you can try our sealant. It works better in tubies as a preventive measure rather than a repair but worth a try first. Only one ounce per tire for road tubies, 2 ounces for a cx tubular. I have a set of Conti Competition 22s sitting here that we poke holes in every few days and they seal well and the sealant is improving air retention in the tube.

If it doesn't work, you could still do the other repair.

This is from a while back but might be worth reading. http://velocitynation.com/content/equipment/2006/hate-volume-17-stans-sealant We really hadn't done any testing of our own for tubulars at that time.

Last edited:

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Warning, spam-like post right ahead:

ire, small puncture holes? If so, you can try our sealant. It works better in tubies as a preventive measure rather than a repair but worth a try first. Only one ounce per tire for road tubies, 2 ounces for a cx tubular. I have a set of Conti Competition 22s sitting here that we poke holes in every few days and they seal well and the sealant is improving air retention in the tube.

If it doesn't work, you could still do the other repair.

This is from a while back but might be worth reading. http://velocitynation.com/content/equipment/2006/hate-volume-17-stans-sealant We really hadn't done any testing of our own for tubulars at that time.
I had your sealant in the tire when I flatted :) It goes flat fairly slow and I've been unsuccessful in sealing it since. The tread is still good on the tire, but it really has been through hell....I'm not easy on my gear. Instead of junking the tire, I figured it was worth a shot to repair it (since it cost me over $100).

I'm going to buy the kit I mentioned originally and try to change the tube....what size tube should I buy? Its a 32mm tire....should I go latex?