Quantcast

Tueday *I can't sleep* GMT

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
1:30am and I still can't sleep. I'm leaving for Denver in a week and still don't have anywhere to live. I've spent the last five hours scouring craigslist and the local apartment/condo websites.

Today should be a busy day though. I'm swapping the suspension and wheels back to stock on the Forester so that I have ground clearance for towing and winter conditions. Then happy hour with a some friends as a farewell dinner. And more packing once I get home from that!

I also need to source more moving boxes for free...

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
I got a job for 2013-2014 yesterday, which significantly lessened the pain of working overnight tonight. (Night float this week, which means five 9 PM-8 AM nights. Four more weeks EVER of it once this week is out.)

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
1:30am and I still can't sleep. I'm leaving for Denver in a week and still don't have anywhere to live. I've spent the last five hours scouring craigslist and the local apartment/condo websites.

Today should be a busy day though. I'm swapping the suspension and wheels back to stock on the Forester so that I have ground clearance for towing and winter conditions. Then happy hour with a some friends as a farewell dinner. And more packing once I get home from that!

FYI trulia and zillow have rental options....those are great options for searching for a house....but we looked at rentals too.

You might be able to get boxes at a local liquor store if theyre nice...I used to work in one and people would come in all the time to grab 40 boxes or so, we didn't care.

clarkenstein

Monkey
Nov 28, 2008

morning.

if it hasn't gotten knocked out by a home depot - try your local hardware store too. my father owned a hardware store and it would be a regular thing for us to set aside boxes for people.

i got new tires in the mail yesterday - holy rollers so i stop grinding down my knobbies.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
OMG LOL @ stuff

Happy Tuesday. Will whoever turned on the rain please turn that back off? TIA. Busy day of work today, which is a good thing. I went and ran 8.7 miles after work yesterday. Man was it a beautiful afternoon to be outdoors. Today not so much. Ok then.

mudgirl

Molester of monkeys
Jun 8, 2007
Tied up in the basement
Morning Monkeys. I feel like crud, and I think I'm going back home again soon. Ugh.

Joker--try looking on Craigslist or posting on CL for moving boxes. I've managed to score free boxes for moving that way the last couple times I've moved.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Just found out our paychecks are going to be delayed by a day again this week..... I hate signs like this. I worked for 2 other companies who started doing stuff like this and they failed or came right to the brink and then got rid of everybody.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
Just found out our paychecks are going to be delayed by a day again this week..... I hate signs like this. I worked for 2 other companies who started doing stuff like this and they failed or came right to the brink and then got rid of everybody.
Bad juju for sure.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Morning all.

Working with our home warranty to get a new stove, range, and hood. So far they are going to pay for the oven and hood. Anyone know how to break a 40 year old electric cook top?

Side note, I have reached the Golden Banana in rep. Thanks everyone for all of the support. I would really like to thank my employers over the years, this couldn't have happened without your lack of IT departments and blocks on websites.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Side note, I have reached the Golden Banana in rep. Thanks everyone for all of the support. I would really like to thank my employers over the years, this couldn't have happened without your lack of IT departments and blocks on websites.
You still have ULTIMATE MONKEY to achieve. You're on your way though, and I've just sent some rep to help you on your journey.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
catalog stuff? I'm still amassing parts for the yeti, so my wan chung wheels are just sitting

magnesium fork? for what?
MIST CF trials bar. Need a wider bar anyway and wanted a little give to help my wrists.

I picked up a DOB 26 mag fork for my trials bike. It has a good rep, as light as the comp forks but as stiff at the clyde forks. The competition fork I have now is not good for my hack riding.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
MIST CF trials bar. Need a wider bar anyway and wanted a little give to help my wrists.

I picked up a DOB 26 mag fork for my trials bike. It has a good rep, as light as the comp forks but as stiff at the clyde forks. The competition fork I have now is not good for my hack riding.
cool. post some pics once its built with the new bits.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
:wave:

My truck and computer just finally got back from another trip to DIA. I don't know why were paying mechanics in Denver if they can't ever do anything. :think: Got a surgeon appointment this afternoon to see about the apparent hole in my gut. :twitch:

I worked for a little general aviation shop many moons ago, and when we started getting paid with checks the said "mastercard credit" on top, it was time time to :panic:. /coolstorybro. Good luck man.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
:wave:

My truck and computer just finally got back from another trip to DIA. I don't know why were paying mechanics in Denver if they can't ever do anything. :think: Got a surgeon appointment this afternoon to see about the apparent hole in my gut. :twitch:

I worked for a little general aviation shop many moons ago, and when we started getting paid with checks the said "mastercard credit" on top, it was time time to :panic:. /coolstorybro. Good luck man.
Ha, my company is working hard to keep us working but it's getting to be a little too scary here. Actually if I was to get laid off the underemployment coupled with the $ we shell out for daycare we wouldn't need to pay I would be getting paid more to stay home.

skibunny24

Enthusiastic Receiver of Reputation
Jun 16, 2010
Renton, WA
Whoa! Happy Tuesday! No dog yet, I've been so busy looking for her, it was like a slap in the face when I realized I'm headed to Boise next week! Stoked! I'm going on a "girls" trip to see my friend and her fiance, and my Uncle lives out there too. All parties partake of the mtn bike action and I'm so so so excited for some fast trails! I'm hoping it gets me back in the biking groove. When I rode No Joke on upper Whistler a couple weeks ago, I got in that sketched out mindset from all the techy stuff and I need some free flowing fun to set me straight again! Whoop whoop!

Any Boise monkies out there? I'll be there Thursday morning through Monday and will ride Thurs, Fri, and Mon. I don't have anyone to ride with on Friday or Monday, so let me know! :D

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
My Tuesday got worse... In swapping the struts on the Subie over to stock, the was some overzealous pulling on one of the control arms to get some clearance space and the axle popped out. I had to go find an axle and am now in the process of figuring out how the hell I'm going to get the hub assembly and axle off. Well, I know how I am going to, but it's going to be a pain in the ass.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
My Tuesday got worse... In swapping the struts on the Subie over to stock, the was some overzealous pulling on one of the control arms to get some clearance space and the axle popped out. I had to go find an axle and am now in the process of figuring out how the hell I'm going to get the hub assembly and axle off. Well, I know how I am going to, but it's going to be a pain in the ass.
How the what?:confused::confused:

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
How the what?:confused::confused:
Exactly. One of the joints in the CV just popped out. The grease was seriously nasty and grimed up, so I would have needed to do the boots soon, but still. Either way, it cost me $180 for the new axle and another $30 for tranny fluid. What I'm most pissed about is the good fluids that I just put into the tranny when I serviced it. That was $60 alone...

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Ah.......transaxle type setup (I'm assuming), don't know much about Subies. I'm still stuck in the world of solid axle Jeeps so I was confused at first at how/what possibly happened. Still kinda crazy/scary a CV could pop apart that easily, assuming you were just tugging with your hands.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Ah.......transaxle type setup (I'm assuming), don't know much about Subies. I'm still stuck in the world of solid axle Jeeps so I was confused at first at how/what possibly happened. Still kinda crazy/scary a CV could pop apart that easily, assuming you were just tugging with your hands.
Trans axle indeed. And I was shocked at how easy it went. I had maybe 20# of pressure, maybe, and that was mostly pulling the control arm down. It's the last time I go against my better judgement to just unbolt the swaybar and listen to the 'car guy' in the room. It just cost me $250... But at least he is staying after work tomorrow to help me fix it. He realizes his f* up and is going to help me with the rest of the work I need to do before I move to CO.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Trans axle indeed. And I was shocked at how easy it went. I had maybe 20# of pressure, maybe, and that was mostly pulling the control arm down. It's the last time I go against my better judgement to just unbolt the swaybar and listen to the 'car guy' in the room. It just cost me $250... But at least he is staying after work tomorrow to help me fix it. He realizes his f* up and is going to help me with the rest of the work I need to do before I move to CO.
You talking about the CV at the transmission or the CV at the knuckle/hub? I'm assuming trans since you need to refill the trans fluid.

At least it sounds like it's all sorted out which is all that matters. $250 ain't bad either.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
You talking about the CV at the transmission or the CV at the knuckle/hub? I'm assuming trans since you need to refill the trans fluid.

At least it sounds like it's all sorted out which is all that matters. $250 ain't bad either.
CV at the transmission. The end of the axle is actually still in the tranny, the rest is loose. So I need to get the hub off without the tranny holding the axle in place. Should be fun!