Quantcast

tueday

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I'd do an oil change with some heavier weight oil and just see how long it could go.
I'd make sure to get a AAA membership, or CCC (Car Club of Canada) whatever you have up there.
That's what's the shop did when I went back.

The engine definitely sounds louder while its moving slower in 1st or 2nd gear.

Only a matter of time..
@canadmos unpopular opinion. homda accord hybrid plus roof rack. fuck the haters. pleased with mine., especially for the price.
With the salt and stuff on the road I need the car to easily load the bike in the back, it's a deal breaker..

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
That's what's the shop did when I went back.

The engine definitely sounds louder while its moving slower in 1st or 2nd gear.

Only a matter of time..

With the salt and stuff on the road I need the car to easily load the bike in the back, it's a deal breaker..
Have you considered a clean Honda Element? They're old but easy to work on. You can get a JDM motor if needed, not to expensive.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Have you considered a clean Honda Element? They're old but easy to work on. You can get a JDM motor if needed, not to expensive.
I have, I even looked at Elements before I picked up the current car years ago. They are unfortunately one of those cars that are priced wildly, given how old they are and most of them now have 200k or more.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
I have, I even looked at Elements before I picked up the current car years ago. They are unfortunately one of those cars that are priced wildly, given how old they are and most of them now have 200k or more.
Yeah I noticed. AWD even more. I got mine to 260k before letting it go. I miss it a lot.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
League was tonight and it was a shit show. 22 kids showed up for the night, so two qualifiers and finals. For some reason it's random draw vs. ranked selection going into the qualifiers and she got in with a group that didn't get a single clean lap, qualifying 8th overall. And she went into fucking RAGE mode.

We tried to get the qualifier re-run, since the second was clean, but the new parents voted "oh no, we'd never stay up past 9pm on a school night", so results stood. Couple of us just said "Fuck it, let the kids race. The new kids and parents will get to see what true racing is like."

I told her gloves off, you go get what's yours and holy fuck did she. She missed getting 3rd by half a kart - overlapped, not stacked. Took 8th to 7th on the start in the 1st turn. 7th to 6th on the 1st lap before they even sped up. Took 5 laps to catch 4th & 5th from 1/4 track back and due to some speed slow downs, then went 6th to 4tj in one pass. She cut under on the back straight, pushed 5th into 4th and cut underneath both in the back S-turns. 1.5 laps left, she closed 10 karts and was overlapped on the start/finish with 3rd. If she had 15' more she would have passed 3rd.

Fucking rampage. She's upset about not getting a podium, but the reality of the rampage she went on is starting to settle in that not getting a medal is okay.

Quotes from other parents before and during the race:

"Well... This is gonna be a show. She's pissed and it only seems to be getting worse while we're waiting."

"I really want Ethan to beat her and I really feel bad saying this, but I also want to see how far up she goes. She's maaaaad and I kinda want to see how far that pushes her."

"Maddox [kid in 3rd] better start running. I don't know if he has enough time to hold her off."

It was a-m-a-z-i-n-g.

Also had one of the dads from the second final come up afterwards and apologize to a few of us for voting the other way. He said after watching the races it's pretty clear that there are kids who race competitively and those who race for fun - and why we were trying to keep them racing accordingly. His son was 4th in the second and still got lapped by two kids who should have clearly been in the first final. If those kids had been placed properly, he likely would have been podium for the second.
i'm picturing you like reese bobby in talladega nights, tall boy and all

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I already posted something similar in your car thread, but I'm seriously trying to understand this logic without seeming like a wise ass. Do you not care about mud and lube and grease getting all over the interior of your car?

I understand not liking the salt and road grime on a bike either, but 2 minutes with a hose or bucket of warm water in the winter fixes that. Seems easier than the alternative of keeping the interior nice and clean.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
the days i ride after work i do have to put my bike in the back seat as underground deck and roof rack do not play. takes less than two minutes to pull front and rear wheels and stuff the bike back there. super easy.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I already posted something similar in your car thread, but I'm seriously trying to understand this logic without seeming like a wise ass. Do you not care about mud and lube and grease getting all over the interior of your car?

I understand not liking the salt and road grime on a bike either, but 2 minutes with a hose or bucket of warm water in the winter fixes that. Seems easier than the alternative of keeping the interior nice and clean.
I've been putting the bike in the car during fall and winter months for years and if lube and grease is getting on things, there is probably another problem at play, that's never been an issue for myself.

Mud is generally not an issue. If it is pissing rain out, we ride in places where it doesn't get too muddy, so the bike usually just accumulates some dirt which can be brushed off before tossing it in the car. I also have a large thick wool blanket that I throw down - if anything falls off the bike, I just wait until it dries and then shake that out the next day. Usually, its my clothes that are the wet and dirtiest items - either a towel on the seat solves this or a quick change at the trailhead.

But in the actual winter with the fat bike, there is no mud or dirt. Maybe a little ice builds up on your bike, but it isn't an issue.

Not sure about you but have you tried washing your bike when its below freezing? Its brutal and usually ends up with a nice layer of ice on the bike before you can finish. :busted:

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
i'm picturing you like reese bobby in talladega nights, tall boy and all
Hahaha. Pretty much. We warned them that putting the top kids in the back wouldn't go over well for their little Billy's.

She was feeling a lot better this morning about it, just because I've been reiterating how impressive the drive was. Honestly, I don't know if I'd want to be on the rage side of a drive with her...

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I've been putting the bike in the car during fall and winter months for years and if lube and grease is getting on things, there is probably another problem at play, that's never been an issue for myself.

Mud is generally not an issue. If it is pissing rain out, we ride in places where it doesn't get too muddy, so the bike usually just accumulates some dirt which can be brushed off before tossing it in the car. I also have a large thick wool blanket that I throw down - if anything falls off the bike, I just wait until it dries and then shake that out the next day. Usually, its my clothes that are the wet and dirtiest items - either a towel on the seat solves this or a quick change at the trailhead.

But in the actual winter with the fat bike, there is no mud or dirt. Maybe a little ice builds up on your bike, but it isn't an issue.

Not sure about you but have you tried washing your bike when its below freezing? Its brutal and usually ends up with a nice layer of ice on the bike before you can finish. :busted:
That's why I said bucket of warm water...pair that with drying off in the basement. Never been an issue, and I do it pretty often throughout the winter.

I also have a 2dr Jeep with 2 car seats, so bike inside was never an option to begin with. Even with previous, larger vehicles, I'd opt for a bike rack anyway. To each their own I suppose.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
That's why I said bucket of warm water...pair that with drying off in the basement. Never been an issue, and I do it pretty often throughout the winter.

I also have a 2dr Jeep with 2 car seats, so bike inside was never an option to begin with. Even with previous, larger vehicles, I'd opt for a bike rack anyway. To each their own I suppose.
I live 100 feet from a lake, no basement or even crawlspace in this house. Bikes have to live in the shed with the squirrels. :D

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
don't just beat them, destroy their will to race.
I think the two kids in one corner was the coup de grace. They were the last of the kids that either shouldn't have been in that race or ahead of her from the start, and she just used one to push both of them out of the way. There were a bunch of teens who stayed solely to watch her let loose, with the cheers each time she passed getting progressively louder. That one was an uproar because of how obscene a pass it was.

4 was slightly outside, with lead going into a wide left, 5 just inside but not enough overlapped to have ownership of the spot, and she just came barrelling up behind them. She pushed 5 up to the inside slot, but where they would go for the turn, she just never lifted. It drove 5 straight/wide, pushing 4 out to the wall, and she just cut under. It was amazing race tactics, given she was looking 2-3 results forward. But such a brutal pass from the standpoint of the new kids/parents, because they just didn't know how to even react to that.

Was it legal? Yes. Very much. Did they even have the concept you could do that? No. Not the slightest. Did they know you could hit other karts? Yes and no. You can tap and push. You can't punt or slam into them. So if you know how to destabilize a car without spinning someone, you have a huge advantage.

There is a reason 1-3 or 4 usually take off and lap the field. Maddox who qualified 5th did the same to get up to 3rd, just not as brutally. And these folks weren't ready for it.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I think the two kids in one corner was the coup de grace. They were the last of the kids that either shouldn't have been in that race or ahead of her from the start, and she just used one to push both of them out of the way. There were a bunch of teens who stayed solely to watch her let loose, with the cheers each time she passed getting progressively louder. That one was an uproar because of how obscene a pass it was.

4 was slightly outside, with lead going into a wide left, 5 just inside but not enough overlapped to have ownership of the spot, and she just came barrelling up behind them. She pushed 5 up to the inside slot, but where they would go for the turn, she just never lifted. It drove 5 straight/wide, pushing 4 out to the wall, and she just cut under. It was amazing race tactics, given she was looking 2-3 results forward. But such a brutal pass from the standpoint of the new kids/parents, because they just didn't know how to even react to that.

Was it legal? Yes. Very much. Did they even have the concept you could do that? No. Not the slightest. Did they know you could hit other karts? Yes and no. You can tap and push. You can't punt or slam into them. So if you know how to destabilize a car without spinning someone, you have a huge advantage.

There is a reason 1-3 or 4 usually take off and lap the field. Maddox who qualified 5th did the same to get up to 3rd, just not as brutally. And these folks weren't ready for it.
Sounds like "anything goes" as long as your kiddo doesn't get upset. Life lessons indeed.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Sounds like "anything goes" as long as your kiddo doesn't get upset. Life lessons indeed.
Not at all. She has always been a very polite racer, which has arguably been a fault as it's cost her the ability to catch more aggressive racers historically. She's always played by that more polite set of rules because everyone has. Now that she needs the eoy podium to qualify for worlds, it's more serious.

It was addressed it the driver's meeting and the biggest concern was staying out late on a school night. The top competitor parents all addresses the importance of points for league competitors vs. kids getting introduced, and they didn't care. So if they don't care, then the experienced kids who always play nicely with the new kids need to take theirs. Haley not Maddox nor Brandon nor Ethan can risk their World Championship opportunity because little Billy needs to get home to bed. They don't go walk across a soccer field Billy is playing on, so what's the difference? In both races the regular League kids forced their way to the top, some nicer than others. Haley was aggressive, but actually softer than the kids in the first heat.

She free to race how she wants to race. She knows what is illegal. She knows what is dangerous. Yesterday, she just stopped playing nicely and started forcing mistakes and what she wanted vs. waiting for mistakes. It's called competition and is good for kids.