Quantcast

TuEs 2.0 Comp may be in my future?

Drth Vadr

Monkey
Oct 5, 2011
I'm looking for any imput I can find on the YT line of gravity bikes. I'm primarily interested the title bike, but I'm also considering the budget TuEs (1999 euro). I've read some reviews and they're all good, but am a little concerned with buying a bike with no state side support. The questions I have are the usual things concerning frame, bushings, and bearings. So if anyone out there in Europe can tell me how those things have been holding up for them it would be a great help.
While there are plenty of great bikes availible to me here in the states, I have the luck of having family in Germany that will be rotating back to the states after 20 years abroad next year. He will be able to bring the bike back with him and it will cost me nothing. Another thing that gives me a hard-on is that the bike will be 20% off with his military discount. This is going to be my next year bike, but I have to get on saving now if I want this to make this happen. While I have a perfectly great 2011 Session 88 (and plan on keeping) and didn't plan on another DH rig for at least a few more years. I feel like I can't let a TuEs 2.0 Comp for $3000 or even the TuEs for $2100 slip by.

Last edited:

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Did not get to ride it or anything but a guy had one at swain. Said he loved it and from the looks of it-its got good quality

I think his name was rowan (spelling?) try to get in touch with him through the results? Ges #3

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
I am riding the Tues 2.0 LTD 2013.
That thing absolutely rips. I bought it at first manly for the parts, but the frame turned out to be a keeper. The geo to me is really dialled. Stable at high speeds and a blast in berms. The frame is a good compromise between pop and plow and is really fun to ride. I am running the large.

Coming off a '09 Session 88 in large, this bike is a huge improvement.

Two of my friends run the 2012 LTD and have no problems with it too, so reliability should be good. I am not sure what the frame hardware is like, but I assume that they work with standard bearings.

The only bad thing so far are the dropouts with adjustable chainstays. They easily fall out when you remove the rear wheel.
They had some problems with the alignment of the seattubes too and I am not sure if this is solved already.

Tabletop should have some more information for you.;)

Last edited:

tabletop84

Monkey
Nov 12, 2011
How tall are you Monarch?

I only have to add that the only bearings I had to replace are the main bearings of the swingarm (?) and one at the chainstay/mainframe-connection so far. Don't know the right english word but I'm talking about the biggest bearings infront of the shock. They are very expensive double-row bearings (20-40€ a pair) and the bearings at the seatstay/chainstay-connection are special ones to. I recommend getting a bearing-set which yt sells for 50€.

The misalignment issues are merely cosmetic. Yt replaced and aligned my rear-triangle in one week. No option for you if you live in the states but as far as I know the cases are rare. Just check the gaps between seattube/seatstays and if your wheel is centered between the chainstays and has enough space even in the shortest setting.

Last edited:

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
I am 1,90m.

Oh, I should add, that the paint is not what you call "resistent". It really needs only small beatings to make the paint flake off.

But that's a small price to pay. I mean that thing cost me 3.000€. Only the parts were easily worth 5k...

Last edited:

Drth Vadr

Monkey
Oct 5, 2011
Exactly.
The metric scale is pretty logical ;)
I totally agree! I think the american standard is about as stupid as you can get. When my fellow americans are stuggling to add 3/8 + 11/16 inches. I'm taking the easy route of adding 1 + 1.7 cm and if I need to change units I just move a decimal or add some zeros.

mlin32

Chimp
Apr 12, 2012
WNC
I may go for one of these myself, potentially the Comp edition. If it happens, I'd take delivery during my holiday in Europe next month then take it home on the plane with me, as YT does not ship overseas. Getting the VAT refund could potentially be a pain but I know (theoretically) how it should work- it's just I'd pay double on taxes upfront (19% VAT + US duties upon entry) and then apply for the refund. The € rate sort of bites but is not surprising.

The componentry is just too good at such a great price to ignore. However, my fear is that finding places to send my BOS RaRE fork for service will be a challenge.

Everything I've heard about the Tues 2.0 has been positive though.

Last edited:

FarkinRyan

Monkey
Dec 15, 2003
Pemberton, BC
Not to advocate circumventing legitimate revenue raising by the government but; take a $10 thrift store bike over with you in a box, dump it and bring the YT back. Better yet, ride the YT while you're over there and you're bringing a used bike back with you anyway.

mlin32

Chimp
Apr 12, 2012
WNC
Looking at their availability it looks like they have it in stock at the moment so what, maybe 10-15 business days to deliver?

I am planning to ride it at Åre since I will be there anyway. However the German VAT is 19% versus 11% on a portion of the value in the US (first $800 is duty-free), it makes sense to try to claim the VAT back.........I need both the export stamp out of the EU and the US customs receipt to be able to ask for it back.

Drth Vadr

Monkey
Oct 5, 2011
Looking at their availability it looks like they have it in stock at the moment so what, maybe 10-15 business days to deliver?

I am planning to ride it at Åre since I will be there anyway. However the German VAT is 19% versus 11% on a portion of the value in the US (first $800 is duty-free), it makes sense to try to claim the VAT back.........I need both the export stamp out of the EU and the US customs receipt to be able to ask for it back.
I don't know for certain, but my uncle has traveled to and from Gernamy to the US probably over a 100 time and how he explained it, was that if he were to bring the bike back on a commercial fight. He would have to uncrate the bike and put in MTB travel bag to avoid the duty charges, but it has the weight under 23kg. That is how he plans on bringing it back for me if he can't catch a "Hop".

Last edited:

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Back from riding it some more, I am still to find some akward behavior while riding this thing. It is so much fun on every single track. I've ridden it in bikeparks, secret DH tracks, beat out rocky trails, the list goes on.
It's so balanced and easy to ride. You can really feel how composed it is in every single situation.
Reason for that is partly the geo of the frame. Another reason is the superb suspension, especially the fork from BOS. You get just the right amount of travel out of it. It's absolutely controlled, in every situation.

Once again I have also to add, that I am really really pleased with the X0 Trail brakes. Stronger than my old Saints and easier to control.

At this point I can't see the need of another frame, bike or parts. Sure, if I could get a carbon Wilson, I'd change the frame, but only for aesthetics. There's no other reason to get another frame.

My setup is as follows:
Short chainstay (425mm, but measured about 430mm), fairly stiff suspension (18% front 28% rear SAG with a bit less compression damping then recommended).

The only gripe was that they put a Renthal bar with only 10mm rise on my LTD. I had to put 10mm of spacers under the stem and I feel I could get another 5mm. The PRO version comes with a 20mm riser bar.

spes

Chimp
Jun 11, 2008
I have been riding TuEs 2.0 ltd this summer. It is great bike. Very balanced suspension (Bos) and very natural behavior. I am 190 cm long and weight 90 kg with riding gear. Frame size L. Chainstay in short position, it feels much better than longer setting. What air pressure are you running in fork? I have 190 psi, take off 2 clicks of hsc and slowed rebound few clicks. It feels great. I have 275 spring in back, wondering if I should try firmer. Also took 3 clicks off hsc and slowed rebound a little.

I too think that bars are too low, about to buy bar with more rise. Steerer tube had been cut so short that I cant put crowns any higher.

Bike weights 18 kg with Saint flat pedals. Thought it would be lighter but I dont mind.

mlin32

Chimp
Apr 12, 2012
WNC
I'm beginning to see where the problem is. It may take a finite number of business days for the shipping part, but getting it out the door to DHL is the problem. Payment was received over a week ago, but it has not shipped. This is looking like a logistical disaster, with the bike probably arriving after I've left for the US.

Called them on Tuesday and they said there's really nothing they can do; it's supposed to ship this week (CW31) but gut feeling tells me this ain't going to work out right. Potential for a very costly outcome here :(

Last edited:

tabletop84

Monkey
Nov 12, 2011
I heard that you also can pick up the bike at their headquarters but I'm not sure if it's not too late for that.

macieiks

Chimp
Aug 5, 2013
I'm beginning to see where the problem is. It may take a finite number of business days for the shipping part, but getting it out the door to DHL is the problem. Payment was received over a week ago, but it has not shipped. This is looking like a logistical disaster, with the bike probably arriving after I've left for the US.

Called them on Tuesday and they said there's really nothing they can do; it's supposed to ship this week (CW31) but gut feeling tells me this ain't going to work out right. Potential for a very costly outcome here
I ordered Tues 2.0 Pro on 22.07.2013, did bank transfer payment on 23.07.2013 and since 24.07.2013 I still got "payed" status...
I am still waiting for dispatch, although the availability of Tues 2.0 PRO is "in stock"...
I mailed to YT staff and got reply that they were having problems with assembly line...

mlin32

Chimp
Apr 12, 2012
WNC
I made it happen, albeit at a hefty cost. But what's done is done, and I do not regret getting the bike at all.

Naturally, the bike showed up 2 days after I left for the US. As the box falls into the freight category, it was near impossible to get anyone to ship it without a corporate account. Fedex cost more than a plane ticket, so I went back and fetched it over a weekend.

But man is this thing beautiful!

(For the finance people like me, no you cannot claim VAT back because it's an internet purchase. However, the US Customs agent did not assess any duty @ ORD airport even though I declared value.)

Last edited:

ocelot

Monkey
Mar 8, 2009
Canadastan
Holy scheisse holmes!
You must've REALLY wanted to ride that bike to fly back and get it. Such a sweet rig though!
Come back with some ride reports!

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
I totally agree! I think the american standard is about as stupid as you can get. When my fellow americans are stuggling to add 3/8 + 11/16 inches. I'm taking the easy route of adding 1 + 1.7 cm and if I need to change units I just move a decimal or add some zeros.
Whoever's struggling with (3/8)6/16 + 11/16 is not in trouble because of SAE, it's because they're dim.

mlin32

Chimp
Apr 12, 2012
WNC
Well, I did take it to Snowshoe Bike Park in WV (USA) over the Labour Day holiday and it was as good as I expected it to be. Took a few runs to fine-tune the suspension; I've never had a suspension with this amount of adjustability but eventually got it mostly dialed in.

The bike itself, especially the suspension, drew a small crowd even of people whom I didn't really know. "Is that a BOS? Wow where'd you get that?". The setup on the Tues is bang on and the bike itself is quite responsive, probably one of the best attributes. In tight, technical sections it was able to respond well to rider input without feeling clumsy or out of its element and generally it's a forgiving, easy to ride bike. That doesn't mean it wasn't a hoot on the faster, flowier jump trails though; I had quite an easy time popping it off tabletops.

I would absolutely recommend getting a Tues, regardless of spec, if you can. Just take a summer holiday in Europe, coordinate the logistics and timing just right, and bring it back with you as the perfect souvenoir. It's a great bike even before you factor in it's stellar value, and I look forward to riding much more in the future.

Oh, and the metric system is the only way to go. Even I use it on a daily basis.

Last edited:

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
I have something to add:
If someone is concerned about the slightly high BB and other geo data of the bike, I did a few measurments:

HA: 63°
BB height: 345mm
CS length (short setting): 430mm, so long settings is 440mm.

These measurments vary a bit compared to these on their homepage

Last edited:

tabletop84

Monkey
Nov 12, 2011
I love how rm is slowly gettin on the tues-hype-train lol

other than Gwin I think I like the short chainstay-setting best (after a serious amount of testing)