Quantcast

** Tuesday Flu Day ***

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
I bought a 720 Wh, 600W battery pack for small appliance backup purposes during outages

power hasn't gone out since, of course. (it rarely does. underground here.)
What do you intend to power up with this?

We're out of power often around here and since I'm in a cell phone dead zone (relying on wifi calling) I was thinking about something to power up my modem/router. But also wondering what kind of power pack I would need to also power up my refrigerator... :think:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
What do you intend to power up with this?

We're out of power often around here and since I'm in a cell phone dead zone (relying on wifi calling) I was thinking about something to power up my modem/router. But also wondering what kind of power pack I would need to also power up my refrigerator... :think:
in theory, the UPS for my home workstation. then I have two 300W inverters that run off my Greenworks 60V batteries that I'd use for my router and the optical network terminal. so ideally so that I can work from home in that setting.

in practice, I might try to run a fridge off of it.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Two days into the
in theory, the UPS for my home workstation. then I have two 300W inverters that run off my Greenworks 60V batteries that I'd use for my router and the optical network terminal. so ideally so that I can work from home in that setting.

I thought you had a powerwall or similar??

A fridge would run for about an hour off that thing :p

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Two days into the

I thought you had a powerwall or similar??

A fridge would run for about an hour off that thing :p
oh, no, I just wasted various companies' time to price out powerwalls. didn't buy one. too spendy

a fridge would have a high transient draw but wouldn't be actually running its compressor much. it'd last for a while, I bet

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL

Probably a UPS would be sufficient if I leave out the fridge option.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Probably a UPS would be sufficient if I leave out the fridge option.
the UPS I have is a work issued pitiful one that only has 10 min of battery or so. enough time to save work and shut down, which doesn't help me anyway if the ONT and router are offline since my stuff is all via the VPN.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
the UPS I have is a work issued pitiful one that only has 10 min of battery or so. enough time to save work and shut down, which doesn't help me anyway if the ONT and router are offline since my stuff is all via the VPN.
Will need to do my homework. Pretty sure modem and router don't draw much, compared to a workstation. If I could get 4 hours of runtime I would be satisfied.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Will need to do my homework. Pretty sure modem and router don't draw much, compared to a workstation. If I could get 4 hours of runtime I would be satisfied.
oh, I'd be surprised if either of those crested 20W continuous. my biggest 60V batteries are 8Ah so a solid day out of each.

it's the workstation with the 4 monitors that'd be the issue. I could cut down to 3 in a pinch but can't go lower than that given what I do.

edit: my RT-AX86U consumes about 10W when actually in use, apparently. the ONT is something on the order of 10-20W.

Last edited:

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Had a 1-on-1 meeting with a coworker where he asked how I was feeling, knowing I just got over a lingering cold. He then proceeds to tell me he came in for this meeting but was going to leave at lunch cause he was feeling sick. I dunno, then maybe just don't come in and give it to me? JHFC. If you are sick and can WFH but choose to come in anyway, you deserve to be flogged.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Had a 1-on-1 meeting with a coworker where he asked how I was feeling, knowing I just got over a lingering cold. He then proceeds to tell me he came in for this meeting but was going to leave at lunch cause he was feeling sick. I dunno, then maybe just don't come in and give it to me? JHFC. If you are sick and can WFH but choose to come in anyway, you deserve to be flogged.
People are not very smart, in general... :disgust: