Quantcast

tuesday gfmt

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Cue the monocle. I was looking around and contemplating getting a watch. The Garmin Fenix 5X happened to pop on sale on Amazon for $299. I have a few buddies that have one and like it, so I just decided to go for it. Other than that, jam packed weekend. Wife was gone and had packed weekend with the kids. Soccer games, parties, b-day party, work shift. Had 4 days off and I'm spent. Did still make it to the gym this morning though.
I have this and love it. I've been through a bunch of Garmins and they keep breaking but I keep buying them because I am a lousy whore. I've had the Fenix 5X for over a year and it is awesome. Technically I ordered the Fenix 5 but the dumbfucks at Amazon sent me the 5X and I said nothing. hahahahalololol!

ETA: I paid $399 for the Fenix 5 when they sent me the 5X. $299 was a great price! Garmin must have a new device coming out soon, right on schedule for the holidays.

Last edited:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Was reading the other day about all the junkies downtown and how sketchy the MAX has gotten after dark. With all the gentrification and the crazy real estate market to boot. I miss PDX, but it doesn't sound like the same place any more. You can never go back, I guess.
It has gotten wicked sketch. Seeing North Portland go from the birth place of COPS to become "NoPo" has been pretty crazy, very SoDoSoPa.

While the MAX had always been hit/miss after dark, there are an awful lot more stabing going on.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Cue the monocle. I was looking around and contemplating getting a watch. The Garmin Fenix 5X happened to pop on sale on Amazon for $299. I have a few buddies that have one and like it, so I just decided to go for it. Other than that, jam packed weekend. Wife was gone and had packed weekend with the kids. Soccer games, parties, b-day party, work shift. Had 4 days off and I'm spent. Did still make it to the gym this morning though.
Screenshot_20191112-131825.png

$2.68 shipped! Should be here in 2-3 months via slow boat, totally worth it.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
11". It's nothing fancy. in fact, it's pretty cheap, but it works for me. The part I'm happiest about is the foam carpet pad to stand on... it's probably placebo, but I feel like it's made a fair bit of difference in the last 3 hours I've owned it...
Oh you got a pad, not a keyboard, I misread that. Ignore me plz.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Did my end of year review with the boss-man as I transfer to a new project next week. He said that few know of my contributions but if it wasn't for me the whole program would have failed. Nice to have that documented before I sail for calmer waters.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Did my end of year review with the boss-man as I transfer to a new project next week. He said that few know of my contributions but if it wasn't for me the whole program would have failed. Nice to have that documented before I sail for calmer waters.
Nice job there Champ.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
You're gettin' a big-assed bonus for that, I presume?

Bonuses ain't happening this year for anyone. Raises happen in January, but I will be at the discretion of my new boss so nothing guaranteed. I will be over my base salary by 25% for the year with OT. I am already in the 98% for my field at my base salary so I can't really complain, but that ain't going to stop me from trying to get more.

I desperately want to avoid any kind of 'promotion' that will result in increased responsibility. Short of living in a fancy location I live a dirtbag lifestyle and make more than I need now. I have no motivation or need for more money. Actually if I could work it I could be happily demoted.

I'd put the odds of my new boss loving me and supporting a large raise at 75%, with a 25% chance he will hate me. 0% of anything in the middle.

Last edited:

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Got to take RTD today. Carpooled with Wifey today because I was downtown all day, but Hannah got sick, so she had to take the car home. Train then bus, no biggie. Except the fucking bus driver when I first arrived didn't change the fucking route number until after he started moving. Stood in the cold for 15 fucking min waiting for the next bus. Even then, only after another passenger told me the route changed did I know to get on, because he didn't change it until two of us stood there looking stupid and she told us.

Add that I was at RTD today and half my meetings no-showed... I could have left at 3:15 but stayed until 4:30 because people can't figure out how to cancel meetings. It is really quite frustrating.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I have this and love it. I've been through a bunch of Garmins and they keep breaking but I keep buying them because I am a lousy whore. I've had the Fenix 5X for over a year and it is awesome. Technically I ordered the Fenix 5 but the dumbfucks at Amazon sent me the 5X and I said nothing. hahahahalololol!

ETA: I paid $399 for the Fenix 5 when they sent me the 5X. $299 was a great price! Garmin must have a new device coming out soon, right on schedule for the holidays.
The Fenix 6 was launched at the end of the summer.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Foster Kitten hit it off with my Kitty. She got adopted and they picked her up tonight. We got a new Kitty coming tomorrow. Another Blackie. Little Boy this time...

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Oh you got a pad, not a keyboard, I misread that. Ignore me plz.
I got both! a keyboad (Macally slimkey CSG), a numeric keypad, and a foam pad to stand on.

the keyboard is really cheap, but I don't actually do all that much heavy typing (I'm not a writer or anything), so it's fine for me... I switch my mouse sides several times throughout the day, so it's nice to have a narrow keyboard. I also like that it has (I don't know if this is the correct term) "chicklet" keys... I find they don't get as dirty as the more traditional styles...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
yea, no one is even close. i was talking to a coworker. he can barely get a day out of his apple watch. :stosh:
I can get two days out of my Apple Watch with normal commute-length bike activities. But yes, definitely less than Garmin... but it's so much more useful that the compromise is worth it, IMO. (It also charges quite quickly--pop it on for half an hour or an hour and it's back up to speed.)

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I tried my brothers old Apple Watch and wasn't really a fan. Lame as it may sound, I think one of the big things for me is not liking how it looks. I definitely want to try more of the active tracking stuff that the Garmin is geared for, but so far, I definitely prefer it. What do you like functionally more about the Apple Watch Toshi?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I can get two days out of my Apple Watch with normal commute-length bike activities. But yes, definitely less than Garmin... but it's so much more useful that the compromise is worth it, IMO. (It also charges quite quickly--pop it on for half an hour or an hour and it's back up to speed.)
can apple watches connect to ANT+ stuff?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I tried my brothers old Apple Watch and wasn't really a fan. Lame as it may sound, I think one of the big things for me is not liking how it looks. I definitely want to try more of the active tracking stuff that the Garmin is geared for, but so far, I definitely prefer it. What do you like functionally more about the Apple Watch Toshi?
Garmin is laggy and seems designed in 1995. About the only "smart" thing it would do would be to display texts, after about 4 seconds of latency.

The Apple Watch has Siri, my full calendar (read only), voice or scribbling texts, walkie talkie, weather app, all manner of handy timers and such (good for kids' bedtimes, I've found), and a whole ecosystem of apps to extend it. There's Strava, of course. MyQ is another example of how the apps can be useful--can check on my garage door opener and open or close it from the watch.

can apple watches connect to ANT+ stuff?
Nope. Bluetooth 4.0 apparently.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Garmin is laggy and seems designed in 1995. About the only "smart" thing it would do would be to display texts, after about 4 seconds of latency.

The Apple Watch has Siri, my full calendar (read only), voice or scribbling texts, walkie talkie, weather app, all manner of handy timers and such (good for kids' bedtimes, I've found), and a whole ecosystem of apps to extend it. There's Strava, of course. MyQ is another example of how the apps can be useful--can check on my garage door opener and open or close it from the watch.

Nope. Bluetooth 4.0 apparently.

they are intended for completely different end uses. garmins are more fitness watches with a few smart features. apple watches are not geared toward the hardcore fitness / athletic demograph.