Quantcast

tuesday gfmt

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Steve are you in Europe or Just insomniac?

Also ffs went back to the gym for the first time in ages (yay a string of injuries) and now my arm is in a constant state of flex. Might have overdid it.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Steve are you in Europe or Just insomniac?

Also ffs went back to the gym for the first time in ages (yay a string of injuries) and now my arm is in a constant state of flex. Might have overdid it.
insomniac

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
:wave:

I have my review and “goal” setting bullshit with my boss this morning. So I’ve got that going for me. . .
I hope the HR person that invented all the goal setting BS walks into a field of dicks backwards. HR people have no time to properly sift through CV's of aplicants so you get shit assistants but yay set goals

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado

Crippling anxiety today. If it isn't work related, it's life related, and if it isn't life related, my brain makes up all new fun things to sow the seeds of doubt. Why mind, why are you like this.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Doggo woke us up 15 minutes before the 5:00 AM alarm. Thanks, dog. Dog has bronchitis and the worst part about that is that we can't send her to day care until that clears up. Poor thing is going a little stir crazy lately.

Anyway, I dragged myself to the pool for a 2600 yard swim. No hot water in the showers, so no pre or post-swim rinse for me.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
So, I have recently received three emails from Megan at the Toyota dealership wanting to know if I am interested in trading in my Rav4. It’s a 2022 with 5k miles and she wants to get me in something newer ? It hasn’t even had it’s first oil change. WTF Megan ?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp

Had to chisel a few millimeters of ice off the car this morning. Joy.

Finally have my sleep study scheduled for tonight, so that is good.

And now work and coffee.

I have my review and “goal” setting bullshit with my boss this morning. So I’ve got that going for me. . .
I fear this same crap is coming up.

HR of course sent out 1.3 trillion emails at the end of last year asking to complete our yearly self reviews and goals. I did. Don't think anyone read them or looked. Which is why I type a few words and click that nice completed button.

We should get OT for that type of jazz!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
So, I have recently received three emails from Megan at the Toyota dealership wanting to know if I am interested in trading in my Rav4. It’s a 2022 with 5k miles and she wants to get me in something newer ? It hasn’t even had it’s first oil change. WTF Megan ?
respond back and asking megan if she's interested in getting something else in

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Can you profit from it somehow?

Back in the days of yore during the pandemic, people were getting away with that. A buddy purchased a loaded Chevy Silverado, drove it for a year and then traded it back in for more than what he purchased it for. :s

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
re: goals for the year.

i can't do mine just yet, I have to wait for my functional group's goals to cascade down from upper management first

:s

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
re: goals for the year.

i can't do mine just yet, I have to wait for my functional group's goals to cascade down from upper management first

:s
same- our review process kicked off after thanksgiving and it's not done yet. Goals can't be handed down until the board does their thing, so we just keep grinding...

Had to chisel a few millimeters of ice off the car this morning. Joy.

Finally have my sleep study scheduled for tonight, so that is good.

And now work and coffee.

I fear this same crap is coming up.

HR of course sent out 1.3 trillion emails at the end of last year asking to complete our yearly self reviews and goals. I did. Don't think anyone read them or looked. Which is why I type a few words and click that nice completed button.

We should get OT for that type of jazz!
Self review: Did what needed to be done with/for the team in a planful and sensible fashion.

Goals: Continue in the same fashion.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Self review: Did what needed to be done with/for the team in a planful and sensible fashion.

Goals: Continue in the same fashion.
Basically.

And always have to put something in the review as something that can be easily be improved upon. Kind of like purposely underdelivering (while not necessarily not reaching your goals), so that the next year you can over deliver on results?

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Basically.

And always have to put something in the review as something that can be easily be improved upon. Kind of like purposely underdelivering (while not necessarily not reaching your goals), so that the next year you can over deliver on results?
Ah, if only. I've only ever had managers that insist on making stretch goals. I usually figure I'll achieve 50% with the rest being an exercise in "tell me what you did and not what you didn't do".

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Ah, if only. I've only ever had managers that insist on making stretch goals. I usually figure I'll achieve 50% with the rest being an exercise in "tell me what you did and not what you didn't do".
They set you up for failure? What kind of goals are those? :rofl:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Pay raises are already processed for this year before we've even done appraisals for last year, making them even more pointless.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
They set you up for failure? What kind of goals are those? :rofl:
Fucked if I know. One of those shit flows downhill scenarios where executive bonuses are tied to achieving aspirational performance targets and all the peons then get tasked with making it happen, realistic or not. There's only so much I, as an individual, can contribute to helping the business as a whole achieve its goals, but that seldom gets in the way of expectations.

To some degree I get it though, people need to be challenged. Give someone a week to do a task and it'll be done a week. Give them 4 days to do that same task and they'll likely deliver in 4. Don't ask and you won't receive.

Last edited:

Dirtrider

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2006
Asheville, NC
What kind of real world mpg do you get? Gonna have to give my company truck back in a few weeks when I quit and was looking at a vehicle with decent MPGs.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Our goals have a weird (I think) rating system:

D - keep it up and you're probably going to get fired eventually
C - bottom of the pack, but useful
B - not bad, not good
A - do exactly what is expected of you
AA - exceed expectations
AAA - exceed expectations that result in "business changing" results

Qualitative goals for A, AA & AAA targets are explicitly listed, and bonus/raise increase amounts are tied to each as well.

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
Welp, didn’t get fired. So that’s good. Not that I assumed it would be bad.
We actually have a good team at the moment and things are going well. Still trying to push my boss(also owns the joint) how much he wants for the place. Not that I dreamed of owning an insurance agency but I’ve had worse jobs.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
(Self) Performance review time here too. I will be giving myself 5/5 in all categories. At the same time I will point out the that all of the essay style questions in the review are the same as the last 3 years. I will also be pointing out the thundering irony of the question about my contribution to innovation in this context.

Corporate shills gonna shill…gotta shill…that house next door to Woo ain’t gonna pay for itself.

Last edited:

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Annual reviews are a thing that exist on paper here, but very rarely exist in practice. I think I had one 4 or 5 years ago, maybe? New boss this year, so I suspect we will be jumping through that hoop again until he figures out that no one actually cares.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
To some degree I get it though, people need to be challenged. Give someone a week to do a task and it'll be done a week. Give them 4 days to do that same task and they'll likely deliver in 4. Don't ask and you won't receive.
That’s a tough one, I think, for a lot of management. Make the carrot too easy to get and you worry about underperformance. Crack the whip too hard and people will just say fuck off and quit.

Around here management has definitely got it wrong. The folks who perform well each year are given extra burdens until they realize that they are being punished for succeeding. Eventually these folks look around and realize that the people who are just coasting aren’t getting kicked to the curb. The overloaded previously high performance employees then say fuck it, kick the clutch and slip into neutral.

Two of our best performers over the last two years confided in me that this is exactly what they are doing for 2023…I laughed and said welcome aboard…

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
What kind of real world mpg do you get? Gonna have to give my company truck back in a few weeks when I quit and was looking at a vehicle with decent MPGs.
30 mpg combined. Sometimes better. And mine is non-hybrid and front wheel drive. Get s about 100 miles more per tank than my Element with roughly similar fuel capacity.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
One of those shit flows downhill scenarios where executive bonuses are tied to achieving aspirational performance targets and all the peons then get tasked with making it happen, realistic or not. There's only so much I, as an individual, can contribute to helping the business as a whole achieve its goals, but that seldom gets in the way of expectations.
Basically everything that's wrong about performance goals in most corporations.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Annual reviews are a thing that exist on paper here, but very rarely exist in practice. I think I had one 4 or 5 years ago, maybe? New boss this year, so I suspect we will be jumping through that hoop again until he figures out that no one actually cares.
Sounds like your are not promoted to a shift manager anytime soon. :D