Quantcast

tuesday gfmt

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Curiously, the main reason I haven’t really been riding much this year is due to (very reasonable) fear that I am going to throw my arm out, either in front of or behind me, and roach it badly enough that I can’t ride. I care way more about bikes these days. I can do basically anything with my elbow under my shoulders, or arms, really.
The summary says it all.
View attachment 190916
View attachment 190917
you tore that bicep tendon trying to ram that little snow toy into work it wasn't prepared for

That's a little bit of a laundry list. But that bicep issue and the extra bits should probably be dealt with if you want to ride the bikes you care about this summer eh?

I mean I know you're old and slow but going downhill on a mountainbike is pretty much all upper body strength.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Curiously, the main reason I haven’t really been riding much this year is due to (very reasonable) fear that I am going to throw my arm out, either in front of or behind me, and roach it badly enough that I can’t ride. I care way more about bikes these days. I can do basically anything with my elbow under my shoulders, or arms, really.
The summary says it all.
View attachment 190916
View attachment 190917
Maybe try some physical therapy and learn some new stretches as an alternative to getting cut on. It's what I did years ago after a creepy little orthopedic surgeon informed me that I had multi-directional dislocation, pulled and torn tendons as well as worn cartilage and definitely needed surgery. I asked for a referral to the rehab center instead. Most of the riders that I talked to who had shoulder surgery all said that recovery time was closer to a year than the three months they were told. With stretching and going to rehab you can still keep riding and doing other stuff.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Hey! I resent that.
I’m older and slower.
(But ironically, stronger than ever, I have been doing four days a week in the gym since December).
I could really, really feel the difference this last weekend.
Angry: the whole reason for the mri was to develop a road map with my PT for what is realistic right now without surgery. I see her once or twice a week.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Hey! I resent that.
I’m older and slower.
(But ironically, stronger than ever, I have been doing four days a week in the gym since December).
Angry: the whole reason for the mri was to develop a road map with my PT for what is realistic right now without surgery. I see her once or twice a week.
I've had to pick a season with a lot of surgeries in the past, some that ended up being a mistake. But if you want to ride bikes, take care of that upper bar holder region. It took me a year or two of doing something else on two wheels to realize just how much upper body stress I was putting on myself holding a bike on rowdy lines.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Hey! I resent that.
I’m older and slower.
Ha, old and slow but feeling strong here as well. I've basically been morphing into a T-Rex with a backpack. Legs are the most defined they've ever been. Like you can see trough my pasty flesh and see the muscle groups. If I don't hike the AT this year then I should borrow someone's road bike, shave my legs, spray on a tan and show up to a road race just to watch the 50+ class run around in a panic with their chests all puffed up, then go home and eat some fried chicken in my underwear.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
I had a complete bifurcation of the distal head of the biceps tendon. I had no choice but to have surgery. With a really aggressive rehab program I was back to work in the fire department in 6 months with 100% mobility and strength. That was in 2007 and I have not had an issue with it since. I would get the proximal head (rotator cuff) fixed.