Quantcast

<<< Tuesday GMT + 1 >>>

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Up drinking coffee at 4am ... this would make sense if I was Eric and driving the fat bus.

But I am not. :dead: No rest for the wicked, as they say.

What's on your plate today?

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Mornin!

Packed up last night to head to Moab. Going to ask the boss man if I can sneak out at noon today. The plan is to do the Whole Enchilada tomorrow morning. Probably a proper way to pop my Moab cherry.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Had the same meeting 2 weeks ago. Best thing I ever did.
i've been rather blatantly hinting at a promotion for a while now, and i've got pretty good grounds for it - and she hasn't disagreed. Now that our HR system is fully transitioned over to JNJ, that's actually a possibility. (under the old HR system i was at the top title - senior engineer - until you enter management. i know, completely stupid).

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Mornin!

Packed up last night to head to Moab. Going to ask the boss man if I can sneak out at noon today. The plan is to do the Whole Enchilada tomorrow morning. Probably a proper way to pop my Moab cherry.
Yep - that would definitely be the way to go.

Make sure you include Amasa->Ahab->Rockstacker->Jackson in your itinerary if it isn't already there.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
i've been rather blatantly hinting at a promotion for a while now, and i've got pretty good grounds for it - and she hasn't disagreed. Now that our HR system is fully transitioned over to JNJ, that's actually a possibility. (under the old HR system i was at the top title - senior engineer - until you enter management. i know, completely stupid).
My boss approached me a few weeks ago about a "great opportunity" which involved taking on the work of another FTE. I came right out and said - sounds like a great promotional opportunity. To which he replied, "You know they won't go for that."

So I told him flat out that I wouldn't consider such a "great opportunity" without "great $$"...

:D

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
More and more "critical" projects kept slowly pouring in, and I was doing a pretty decent job of keeping up with everything. When a couple things were slightly behind and asked "why" I put a list of everything I was working on together, hours/deliverables required, and requested due dates. When the bottom line of 60-70hrs/wk was tallied up, my boss was floored. She had no idea how much was really going on.

So I said "we need this number to be 40", and a whole shitload got taken off my plate.

dhmike

Turbo Monkey
Dec 20, 2006
Boise Idaho
morning , knotfest ticket purchased this morning :thumb:. now I guess i'll act like I'm working but really be trolling RM and thinking of riding dh this weekend .

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
More and more "critical" projects kept slowly pouring in, and I was doing a pretty decent job of keeping up with everything. When a couple things were slightly behind and asked "why" I put a list of everything I was working on together, hours/deliverables required, and requested due dates. When the bottom line of 60-70hrs/wk was tallied up, my boss was floored. She had no idea how much was really going on.

So I said "we need this number to be 40", and a whole shitload got taken off my plate.

that's sorta where i'm at. i've been making sure she has full visibility as to what exactly is on my plate. since i've started we lost two engineers (not at the same time), but we only have one open head count we're trying to fill right now. I'm pushing her to ask our director for another. i've also requested at least 2 interns for myself if they don't create the extra head count.

the other upside, is that if i get the promotion i want, i'll be at management pay grade but without any direct reports. win!

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I wear about four FTE hats and begin receiving shit that I don't have no time to do my orig #1 FTE job properly. WTF, cheap fucks. Also in other news, shitstorm's brewing. Maybe I'll ride tonight but the forecast is cloudy.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Howdy all. I had a spate of hypomania yesterday and got basically 1/2 of a paper done. Lots of coding in Matlab, running data, making sense of it, coming up with a model and and algorithm that may actually prove useful in clinical work.

To me, in academics, each paper I publish is worth about $1000/yr x the rest of my career, so best to get this one out the door sooner rather than later. I'm working on this new concept called "collaboration" instead of "do all the shit yourself" though, so the package of data, figures, and half of the paper's text is now on the virtual doorstep of one of my past colleagues in Seattle.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Afternoon Monkeys.

Spent 3 hours at the ortho this morning getting braces on the little monkey. Then I took her to get sushi for lunch (they said soft foods :) ). She feels a little awkward, but she is "used to that being a nerd chick" :rofl:

Looks like a sweet ride, squeeb. I wanted to ride the moto this week, but the ignition tumbler I bought to replace the one I lost the key to has exploded about 3 months after purchase.

Quick story: So I lost the key to my moto, Harley says "give us the VIN and you'll have a new key in a week". Well, 2 weeks later and $37, I get 2 keys that don't work. They say "Someone must have changed the ignition..." Original owner says its original ignition, FML.

Shop says new universal is only like $15 vs $70 from the dealer. OK, get it, wire it up, great. 3 months later, dead.

OK, go to Harley shop. How much for a new ignition for my bike (wanted to double check the price)? They wouldn't even tell me the price until I showed them something with my name on it to prove it was my bike. WTF? You had no issues taking $37 and my VIN on a sticky note to order me a key that didn't work.

F@ck Harley Davidson and their awful motorcycle. As soon as this bitch is paid off, I'm getting a jap bike.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
LOL, wut? When? WHY? Have you taken leave of your senses man?!?
Dude, I bought it because I thought the lady would get into riding but she's decided it is best on the back where she doesn't have to pay attention. :rofl:

I would never have bought it knowing she didn't want to ride. It beats walking and hasn't stranded me, yet. But it hasn't been the best relationship, that's for sure. Every time I have to work on this bike I start by saying "WTF were they thinking when they designed/built this?"

The fact that the pin (and I do mean pin) that HOLDS THE KICKSTAND SPRING is the lowest point on the bike (see pic for ref). One big speed bump sheered off the pin and there is no easy fix other than to weld in a plate like the factory "fix" the following year.

Again, jap bike will be next, just not sure what.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
secured the loan of a big ole steamshovel dipper for a show on the panama canal that we're doing at work. i'll call it a win. hard to find old and big ones. now to get it from CO to NC over the next 6 weeks...

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I just walked into a spider web so big that it could trap a squirrel. No spider to be found on the web....

:( Worst day in a while.