Quantcast

***Tuesday GMT***

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I live with my GF now and rarely visit my flat but I had to pick up my dj bike from service nearby (too little time lately to do it myself). Of course the rear axle screw loosened in the middle of the forest when it was raining like stupid. Had to carry the bike mid rain for a few km.
Today is better. Some work, hopefully finish the interview for a bike site I work for after hours. Later I go see Noah, part for work, part because I love Arnofsky as a director. Well that and my road bike is finally done so I will not be using the stinky subway to get to work.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Was woken up at 5am by a screaming child. Today can only get better, hopefully.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Mornin! Busy busy busy. Just trying to get through the day, it's bike ride time after work. Here's to hoping the residual leg soreness doesn't kill me too much.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Morning Monkeys.

Tuesderp indeed. I have online training that starts at 7 Wed/Thurs, stupid east coast bastards. Calling "Bob" today who has now been recommended by just about everyone as a solid boat mechanic. Have been told it's likely not going to be cheap, but "he's fair" whatever that means. :rofl:

There are a few good used options for a replacement engine, none of those are cheap, either ($3k-$6k). See what Bob says first and hope for the best.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Morning Monkeys.

Tuesderp indeed. I have online training that starts at 7 Wed/Thurs, stupid east coast bastards. Calling "Bob" today who has now been recommended by just about everyone as a solid boat mechanic. Have been told it's likely not going to be cheap, but "he's fair" whatever that means. :rofl:

There are a few good used options for a replacement engine, none of those are cheap, either ($3k-$6k). See what Bob says first and hope for the best.
i guess you didn't take it for a lap around the lake before you bought it?

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I want waffles for Lunch. The problem is I can't make them here. I don't want to go anywhere to get waffles. The other problem I have is I can't find waffles that I could have delivered. I am really Hungry. Waffles, whipped cream, butter, and strawberries. Some sausages and homefies too. I just tried to stand up and had to sit back down. It may be to late....

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
I want waffles for Lunch. The problem is I can't make them here. I don't want to go anywhere to get waffles. The other problem I have is I can't find waffles that I could have delivered. I am really Hungry. Waffles, whipped cream, butter, and strawberries. Some sausages and homefies too. I just tried to stand up and had to sit back down. It may be to late....
making my hard boiled egg, ramen & muffin seem lackluster. oh. it is.

my day will be slow. dodging the crazy folks all day will be my MO. will probably be looking at bikes & watching ski & climbing videos for most of the day. Watched Honold do the the big three in Yosemite in 24 hours yesterday. crazy ****. hard to watch sometimes.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
It makes perfect sense.

1) You got an ugly mug.
2) Ugly mug makes wife vomit.
3) Make your mug less ugly.
4) Wife stops vomiting.
5) ???
6) Profit.
Exactly, your logic would imply I have an ugly face, unlike other monkeys here I am no sasquatch. Hence why it makes no sense, Not ugly

So today has become a fix the last three months of paper work for four other writers day, track down and repair payroll for three techs, and prepare for tire and parts inventory for Friday. All of these I was Voluntold are now my responsibilities.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
friggin dead at work. I've run out of internet to read. Or rather, of bike-related internet to read.

After work I'm going to try to xc ski with the whole family (wife, 1yo, 3yo) to a cabin 2 miles from the parking lot to have dinner. I have a Chariot to pull the kids in. If the oldest doesn't want to ski, I can pull him in the Chariot and get a decent workout in. I wish winter would end. My bike is ronery.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
i guess you didn't take it for a lap around the lake before you bought it?
No body of water anywhere close, plus there was a foot of snow on the ground where the boat was to start with. It sounds great when running on the hose, though. :shakefist:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
No body of water anywhere close, plus there was a foot of snow on the ground where the boat was to start with. It sounds great when running on the hose, though. :shakefist:
now i know when/where not to buy a boat.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Yesterday I babysat a 18,000 propane tank we are burning the vapor off of. Today the psi is down to zero, going to open it up later so we can replace some gaskets that have been leaking. The torch we were flaming the vapor off was shooting 15-20 feet up. 7 hawks were riding the thermals WAY up in the sky above us. So awesome.

Also, in unrelated news, our local trail building organization just got its 501c3 certification! Booyah! :weee::D:shocked:

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
friggin dead at work. I've run out of internet to read. Or rather, of bike-related internet to read.

After work I'm going to try to xc ski with the whole family (wife, 1yo, 3yo) to a cabin 2 miles from the parking lot to have dinner. I have a Chariot to pull the kids in. If the oldest doesn't want to ski, I can pull him in the Chariot and get a decent workout in. I wish winter would end. My bike is ronery.
i miss xc skiing.
friggin dead here too & that scares me. expecting a ****-ton of **** to rain on me any day now.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
now i know when/where not to buy a boat.
Srsly, I am learning a lot from the experience. I really like this boat and with a little work on the interior it will be damn nice. If I can get it running, it will be damn fast, too based on others I've looked at. It would almost be worth it to get a good used motor for $4k installed and have a serious ripper, but I'm a cheap f@cker and don't want to invest THAT much into my first boat.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Srsly, I am learning a lot from the experience. I really like this boat and with a little work on the interior it will be damn nice. If I can get it running, it will be damn fast, too based on others I've looked at. It would almost be worth it to get a good used motor for $4k installed and have a serious ripper, but I'm a cheap f@cker and don't want to invest THAT much into my first boat.
You will git her fixed up, seriously though what you keep describing is a fuel air mix issue, I am still guessing it is just an adjustment, could be a vacuum leak... FWI for future reference, if no lake is available, a trashcan full of water and dunk the outdrive. Put it in gear and rev her up

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
You will git her fixed up, seriously though what you keep describing is a fuel air mix issue, I am still guessing it is just an adjustment, could be a vacuum leak... FWI for future reference, if no lake is available, a trashcan full of water and dunk the outdrive. Put it in gear and rev her up
I don't think it's firing on the left side. The carbs are auto adjust, there isn't much to adjust from what I read, but the whole outboard deal is crazy in the first place.

When I had it tied to the doc, it seems to pull pretty damn good forward and reverse. It was going well above idle. But as soon as I was 30' from the shoreline, just as it started to rise up, it died. A little more than before, but not much. The starter is almost dead, too.

Bob is a week behind right now, but said if I can get it to him this week, he might get bored and look at it sooner.

<edit> Bob said it sounded like a fuel issue, too. He said he should have a good idea what it is in about an hour or so. $70/hr, ouch.

Last edited:

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
So when it went to die, the rpm went up then died out? well that leads a little further as that is how they go as they run out of fuel. Yeah the carbs are auto adjust, but there is still a baseline adjust on there somewhere. You might have something as simple as an inner liner failing on the fuel line too. I wish you were closer cause now I want to come tinker and see what it is...

Last edited:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
So when it went to die, the rpm went up then died out? well that leads a little further as that is how they go as they run out of fuel. Yeah the carbs are auto adjust, but there is still a baseline adjust on there somewhere. You might have something as simple as an inner liner failing on the fuel line too. I wish you were closer cause now I want to come tinker and see what it is...
I hope Bob can get to it. I loaned my timing light to someone, so I was trying to check for spark using a crap inline light up thing. It was very faint, but lit up on the right side, but I wasn't seeing much on the left. It also seemed to run the same when the inline deal fell off and #5 had no wire connected. :rofl:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
After work I'm going to try to xc ski with the whole family (wife, 1yo, 3yo) to a cabin 2 miles from the parking lot to have dinner. I have a Chariot to pull the kids in. If the oldest doesn't want to ski, I can pull him in the Chariot and get a decent workout in.
i miss xc skiing.
friggin dead here too & that scares me. expecting a ****-ton of **** to rain on me any day now.
Well, it was super! Conditions were awesome. The 3yo is a natural and didn't want to get in the chariot, no matter how big the hill! In the end I still had to pull him up if we wanted to complete the round trip in day light. 70 minutes there, 30minutes for dinner in the cabin, and 20 minutes back to the car. Sucks that the 1yo screamed the whole way back, and the wife didn't really enjoy that part of it either, but my big boy and I had an awesome time!

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Howdy all. Hypomanic last night after rehearsal so didn't get to sleep until 1 AM. Research review board and financial shenanigans paperwork all morning, then dysphoric day at work at the VA.

On the upside, I think my financial shenanigans* will work, and I got my paper/official UC Denver contract via slow FedEx. :thumb: Now just to find some time to get it signed and notarized…

* Financial shenanigan details for the pathologically bored/stoney:

1) Opened up yet another consumer credit line, this time with my local credit union, to take advantage of a 0% x 6 months with no fee balance transfer option. Everything to temporize until Denver paychecks hit my bank account…

2) Set my wife up with an Employer ID number, so that I could in turn start her a (no fee) self-employed 401(k) plan through Fidelity, which would be a bizarre move in and of itself given that she has essentially no income. Its point is that it allows the following to happen:

3) Set in motion the process of "roll in" of both her and my traditional IRA holdings, with the destinations her new self-employed 401(k) plan and one of my current 403(b) plans, respectively. This "roll in" maneuver is so I end up with no traditional IRA holdings, which is important for tax purposes/the pro rata rule for future backdoor Roth contributions.