Quantcast

@@@Tuesday GMT@@@

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Oil and oil sourced debris. The solenoids allow oil to flow into the VANOS cylinder, effecting the placement of the intake cam. So... Oil moves over the solenoids, which eventually accrue small amounts of debris, impacting the ability of the solenoids to fully fire.

Of the eight, only one was fully firing when he started cleaning everything. Three just made noise, but didn't actually move. After cleaning them, all 8 are fully firing and should allow for the VANOS to do its job, which is adjusting the cam positioning.

I put in new cam position sensors last week too, so together, they should bring a substantial amount of power back to the table.

http://www.eeuroparts.com/blog/articles/557/bmw-vanos-explained/
If debris in your oil clogged your solenoids your bearings must be in excellent condition.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
If debris in your oil clogged your solenoids your bearings must be in excellent condition.
I'm 90k in. I'm sure there is some wear in there. My rod bearings are on my 2016 to do list.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I'm 90k in. I'm sure there is some wear in there. My rod bearings are on my 2016 to do list.
Most of the covers on modern motors are there for sound insulation. Assuming engine has non essential covers, get things running first before replacing them. Then really listen to the engine. Try to isolate, understand and identify each sound, piston slap, valve clatter, injection cycles etc. Understand what a good baseline sounds like so if you have problems down the road you can better understand what is going on.

Assuming that you are also doing plugs in this process, get a compression tester and measure your current state, they are inexpensive. This can actually tell you if there is a problem, but again will be really helpful down the road to have a baseline if a problem crops up. It can even help with VANOS stuff as valve timing/overlap will directly affect a compression test.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Most of the covers on modern motors are there for sound insulation. Assuming engine has non essential covers, get things running first before replacing them. Then really listen to the engine. Try to isolate, understand and identify each sound, piston slap, valve clatter, injection cycles etc. Understand what a good baseline sounds like so if you have problems down the road you can better understand what is going on.

Assuming that you are also doing plugs in this process, get a compression tester and measure your current state, they are inexpensive. This can actually tell you if there is a problem, but again will be really helpful down the road to have a baseline if a problem crops up. It can even help with VANOS stuff as valve timing/overlap will directly affect a compression test.
The sparks were done 20k ago, so I'm not changing those yet. I am getting oil burn from the exhaust, but I'm not sure if the is the headgasket, PCV valve, or (hopefully) just oil blow through from the initial VANOS problems. I will run it for a little bit to get the narrowed down. I'll be changing the oil too, so the old oil will be left in a milk jug for a few days to see if there is any separation of fluids (oil vs. anti-freeze).

I'll be doing the fan clutch, replacing the radiator, and fuel pump next year. Mileage dependent there might be more service needed.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Just send an oil sample to Blackstone. They'll identify the type and amount of contaminants. Do that every other oil change and you'll have a good idea what's going on inside your engine.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Just send an oil sample to Blackstone. They'll identify the type and amount of contaminants. Do that every other oil change and you'll have a good idea what's going on inside your engine.
Good call.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The sparks were done 20k ago, so I'm not changing those yet. I am getting oil burn from the exhaust, but I'm not sure if the is the headgasket, PCV valve, or (hopefully) just oil blow through from the initial VANOS problems. I will run it for a little bit to get the narrowed down. I'll be changing the oil too, so the old oil will be left in a milk jug for a few days to see if there is any separation of fluids (oil vs. anti-freeze).

I'll be doing the fan clutch, replacing the radiator, and fuel pump next year. Mileage dependent there might be more service needed.
If oil was getting into the engine via the headgasket, you would know it because exhaust gasses would be getting into the oil at a much higher rate. Causing the oil to foul quickly and all kinds of PCV problems, not to mention the gasket would quickly erode and turn the exhaust into a mosquito fumigator.

Hopefully for you it is just a little valve guide wear, rather common. Valve guides need to leak a little bit of oil, so a bit of wear can cause more than desired. With as many valves as you have that could mean a fair volume. The only real issue there is that enough oil in the cylinder can drastically reduce the effective octane of the fuel mixture, first causing pinging then detonation. Pinging isn't good, detonation will destroy an engine quickly. Keep an eye on engine codes for pinging, it could be your first indication things are going south.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
got to the trail. 72* and sunny. spent 2 1/2 hours riding slowly and clearing significant amounts of downfall and debris. not a ripping trailride, but time well spent in the woods. and the beer after tasted just as good. :D

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
got to the trail. 72* and sunny. spent 2 1/2 hours riding slowly and clearing significant amounts of downfall and debris. not a ripping trailride, but time well spent in the woods. and the beer after tasted just as good. :D
I pack one of these:

and one of these:

Both were pretty cheap on sale, but even full price they're still cheap. Great tools. I can remove any soft woods up to 6" and 4" for hardwoods. The serrated edge of the knife is good for quickly getting through small branches that would be too small to cut with a saw.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
i packed in a handsaw, knife, and pruners. couldn't find my hatchet. i can get trees up to 12" (took out 2 today). Anything bigger and I come back with the chainsaw.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
i usually bring in what i'm going to need for a given day....if i'm digging/building/cutting i generally don't even bother to bring the bike unless i'm planning on riding afterward or testing a feature. plus i'm usually too beat after digging to ride well anyway.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I have access to a a Bobcat. A Ford Tractor with a bucket. A Ford F-350 pikumup and a trailer. A Tugg Boat and a construction barge. I just need a Airplane and I am good to go.... A pet Jaguar also...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I have access to a a Bobcat. A Ford Tractor with a bucket. A Ford F-350 pikumup and a trailer. A Tugg Boat and a construction barge. I just need a Airplane and I am good to go.... A pet Jaguar also...
Those bodies don't bury themselves.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
I have the wooden 1950's era model this sees to be based from. Not so sure about the serated/knife edge but if it is as half as durable as my well used antique it is worth every penny.
http://www.amazon.com/Military-Folding-Carrying-Backpacking-Gardening/dp/B014IEHPYC/ref=sr_1_1?s=outdoor-recreation&ie=UTF8&qid=1444177423&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=folding+entrenching+tool&psc=1

Hmmm, looking at that makes me wonder if maybe I could make folding shovel from an actual sized shovel and a sturdy extendable pole like painters use. The head would have to be cut down some to fit in a pack. A hinge and locking bolt bracket could be cut from the part that the wood handle goes into.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Tonight's ride resulted in a flat rear tire, I haven't flatted out in years and am not in the habit of carrying tubes anymore. I rode the rim 4 miles to get home. The good news is the rubber did not separate, the rim did not pit and remains true. In other news, stans dries out faster in Montana than it does on the coast.

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Not exactly sure what happened today, but everything after lunch was weird. I was completely out of it, I felt like I was beside myself. Joined a brainstorming session with some colleagues and basically had zero input on the stuff I just finished college for. I also parked my car and left it in neutral......yep it rolled back after getting out. WTF MATE?! I've never even owned an automatic car, how do you forget that shit?

So TLDR, I went riding anyways and it knocked my brain back into place. I did have a few browner moments when my front tire went over some tree nubs/stumps that were in the ground. It sounded like my tire exploded and it happened a few times.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Not exactly sure what happened today, but everything after lunch was weird. I was completely out of it, I felt like I was beside myself. Joined a brainstorming session with some colleagues and basically had zero input on the stuff I just finished college for. I also parked my car and left it in neutral......yep it rolled back after getting out. WTF MATE?! I've never even owned an automatic car, how do you forget that shit?

So TLDR, I went riding anyways and it knocked my brain back into place. I did have a few browner moments when my front tire went over some tree nubs/stumps that were in the ground. It sounded like my tire exploded and it happened a few times.
Brain tumor.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Brain tumor.
Or he just needs to have a hole bored into his head to release the evil spirits. They plug up the hole with a titanium plate. Not sure if it's 650b compatible or not. Worked wonders for my Dad. I highly recommend it.

edit: Best part is you get a free haircut with every brain surgery. How cool is that ?

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord

beer at lunch. you forgot beer at lunch. rookie mistake. but you seem like a nice kid, who generally has his priorities straight, so we'll let it slide this time...

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Effing Shit day. Boss had to know what was coming and didn't want to deal with it so with no prep time he set me up to take the brunt of the vehicle audit by County EMS. I got reamed. FTS, time to find somewhere else for employment

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Or he just needs to have a hole bored into his head to release the evil spirits. They plug up the hole with a titanium plate. Not sure if it's 650b compatible or not. Worked wonders for my Dad. I highly recommend it.

edit: Best part is you get a free haircut with every brain surgery. How cool is that ?
Trepanation. Boring A hole seems lengthy and painful, I am pretty sure a solid whack with a tack hammer would punch open a hole much faster.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Trepanation. Boring A hole seems lengthy and painful, I am pretty sure a solid whack with a tack hammer would punch open a hole much faster.
Can't really deliver enough force with a tack hammer, it's too light. You'll get better results with either a 12oz machinists ball peen or a 500g Peddinghaus locksmith hammer. But if weight is a factor, I have some mallets made from black Nylatron which are incedibly dense and hard.