Quantcast

***Tuesday GMT***

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I haven't had sushi since this whole pandemic thing started. :(
our local place was closed for almost 2 months, we were worried they went out of business. turns out they were doing some reconfiguring to make it safe for them to operate. their front entryway has been turned into a pickup area with a shield and such. they also reconfigured the prep area so the chefs have more space.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
our local place was closed for almost 2 months, we were worried they went out of business. turns out they were doing some reconfiguring to make it safe for them to operate. their front entryway has been turned into a pickup area with a shield and such. they also reconfigured the prep area so the chefs have more space.
Thats good they figured something out.

We got double wammied. We moved in March to a place that only has one sushi place, which looks kind of sketch, so haven't even bothered. Then the pandemic hit, so traveling and sitting at sushi place in another town, while possible, hasn't been something we've been interested in doing.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Thats good they figured something out.

We got double wammied. We moved in March to a place that only has one sushi place, which looks kind of sketch, so haven't even bothered. Then the pandemic hit, so traveling and sitting at sushi place in another town, while possible, hasn't been something we've been interested in doing.
Just to be clear I got the sushi to go. I didn't dine in.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
I've almost forgot the horror of feeling full as hell, only to have the server bring over another tray of sushi. FUCK WHO ORDERED THOSE? :rofl:
"Oh right... I did. Because I am an idiot."

Totally been there. Great... now I'm hungry for post-Covid sushi. DAMMIT.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I've almost forgot the horror of feeling full as hell, only to have the server bring over another tray of sushi. FUCK WHO ORDERED THOSE? :rofl:
:D
I walked in to order to-go, took no time to breeze down the paper menu with my official sushi pencil, then minutes later hear "your total is $71.44"

full disclosure I didn't finish. thankfully I got a phone call that interrupted the bing, therefore I have leftovers for lunch.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
a total of 16 people allowed in the theatre...for less than 2 hours...

less dangerous than the 2 oversold not socially distanced flights i have already taken this year...
I saw Tenet in the theater twice. I did not contract COVID.

Masked whole time, and reserved seating. No one was within 4 nice-sized-recliner-seat-widths from me.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
nothing gross about sushi. nothing rank, nothing slimy. I say try it.
I love sushi but certainly found the limits of my comfort zone while dining in Japan, but I would think you would have to try very very hard to find anything like that in the US.

Raw crab and fish roe don't do it for me.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I love sushi but certainly found the limits of my comfort zone while dining in Japan, but I would think you would have to try very very hard to find anything like that in the US.

I rocked up to Tsukiji fish market at 6am when I was there. Ate at a sushi stand where you sit at a counter, and the chef puts what he's making in front of you, there is no choice. Had Uni sashimi. Ooof, that was a punch in the gut. Almost didn't make it. I was with my father in law, who tried it and just couldn't do it. I had to finish it. We didn't want to leave it and let them think the white guys couldn't hack it! I almost lost it at that one. Uni before 7am is not something I would recommend.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
First and only time trying sushi was trying raw eel (or something super slimy) when I was hammered. Wasn't hammered enough. Fucking gross.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I rocked up to Tsukiji fish market at 6am when I was there. Ate at a sushi stand where you sit at a counter, and the chef puts what he's making in front of you, there is no choice. Had Uni sashimi. Ooof, that was a punch in the gut. Almost didn't make it. I was with my father in law, who tried it and just couldn't do it. I had to finish it. We didn't want to leave it and let them think the white guys couldn't hack it! I almost lost it at that one. Uni before 7am is not something I would recommend.
I've had that at a local authentic japanese place. Same thing, there is no real menu, you are paying for the experience of whatever they put down on your table.

Interesting, to say the least.

I wonder if that place is still there?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I saw Tenet in the theater twice. I did not contract COVID.

Masked whole time, and reserved seating. No one was within 4 nice-sized-recliner-seat-widths from me.
Yeah - wasn't that back when CO was seeing like 30 cases/day state-wide?

As they say... times, they are a changin'...

And @stevew's in some @FSM-forsaken Carolina, isn't he? $9 says anyone else in the theatre removes their mask as SOON as the lights dim. FTS. :disgust:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I would just go to restaurants and point at something I thought would be good. It was almost always worked out well, but I got an order that had many pieces of not just fish roe, but the whole egg sacs. The texture was too much for me.

Same thing happened at a crab restaruant. I unknowingly ordered a whole family sized meal, had like 10 different types of crab, all was really good except for raw crab. It tastes super fishy and I couldn't handle the slimy texture.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
big fat, oily roe are gross. the small black caviar style is nice for a topping, but not as stand-alone sushi.

First and only time trying sushi was trying raw eel (or something super slimy) when I was hammered. Wasn't hammered enough. Fucking gross.
not unagi? that's cooked as I think it's dangerous to eat.

Last edited: