Quantcast

***Tuesday GMT***

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Yeah, toro when done well is just sublime. But so easy to screw it up in the freezing/shipping/prep apparently. I have had many subpar toro sashimi experiences as well.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Yeah - wasn't that back when CO was seeing like 30 cases/day state-wide?

As they say... times, they are a changin'...

And @stevew's in some @FSM-forsaken Carolina, isn't he? $9 says anyone else in the theatre removes their mask as SOON as the lights dim. FTS. :disgust:
and i am just wondering what the fuck you all are doing in the enlightened states that you live in that you are getting sick....:D

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
and i am just wondering what the fuck you all are doing in the enlightened states that you live in that you are getting sick....:D
I'm suspecting a combination of in-person school (esp universities), pandemic exhaustion, and shitty weather (it's pretty much cold here as SOON as the sun goes down) putting people *indoors* together.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Yeah, toro when done well is just sublime. But so easy to screw it up in the freezing/shipping/prep apparently. I have had many subpar toro sashimi experiences as well.
my place almost always has a limited amount of hamachi and salmon fatty belly ... it's a treat fo sho.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Some of the best sushi I have had has been near automotive plants and as a result a large Japanese population from 3rd tier suppliers.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
not unagi? that's cooked as I think it's dangerous to eat.
Like I said, I was hammered and don't remember specifics, and I don't like seafood, let alone sushi. Bunch of us had a house party for new years and got a boatload of sushi from a friend's parents restaurant. Whatever it was they tried to get me to eat must have been universally gross, as many people stopped and watched the hilarity ensue.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Like I said, I was hammered and don't remember specifics, and I don't like seafood, let alone sushi. Bunch of us had a house party for new years and got a boatload of sushi from a friend's parents restaurant. Whatever it was they tried to get me to eat must have been universally gross, as many people stopped and watched the hilarity ensue.
Worse than that time you and Dan raced to see who could eat a stick of butter faster?

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I've had that at a local authentic japanese place. Same thing, there is no real menu, you are paying for the experience of whatever they put down on your table.

Interesting, to say the least.

I wonder if that place is still there?
I think Tsukiji fish market is closed and the fish market has moved to newer, more modern digs...

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
First and only time trying sushi was trying raw eel (or something super slimy) when I was hammered. Wasn't hammered enough. Fucking gross.
Unagi is one of my favourites. I can't remember what it's called when you get fish on a bowl of rice, but I would often get the unagi that way.

We had sushi at home this weekend, somehow my kids love it. I got some unagi nigiri (along with spicy clam nigiri :drool: ), and he loved it. I had also got a roll with unagi on top, which he ate of. I used to be able to get the "weird stuff" and eat it all myself. I think those days are over.

On the topic of sushi... have you guys ever had saba battera?! I only ever get it when I go to this particular place in Vancouver (well... Richmond) BC. It's so rich, but fresh and savoury. very unique.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
You all need to make friends in your local japanese communities. Three of our family friends out here own sushi places -one food cart and two restaurants all currently open for take out. Another friend owns a boutique japanese bakery. We trade booze for sushi and other off-menu deliciousness regularly. Show a little interest in japanese food and / or culture and you'll be amazed at the doors that get opened.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
You all need to make friends in your local japanese communities. Three of our family friends out here own sushi places -one food cart and two restaurants all currently open for take out. Another friend owns a boutique japanese bakery. We trade booze for sushi and other off-menu deliciousness regularly. Show a little interest in japanese food and / or culture and you'll be amazed at the doors that get opened.
The parents of an old riding buddy owned a restaurant (referenced in previous post). Alas, I am not a sushi guy.

However, fortunately for me, father-in-law is the CFO of a high-end meat distributor in the city. So virtually unlimited Steaks/tips, sausage, chicken and other meats from local butchers are finding their way into my fridge constantly. This pleases me.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
The parents of an old riding buddy owned a restaurant (referenced in previous post). Alas, I am not a sushi guy.

However, fortunately for me, father-in-law is the CFO of a high-end meat distributor in the city. So virtually unlimited Steaks/tips, sausage, chicken and other meats from local butchers are finding their way into my fridge constantly. This pleases me.
You ever get any bacon or other meat from Blood Farm in Groton?

Many people are saying it's the best they've ever had.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
:D
I walked in to order to-go, took no time to breeze down the paper menu with my official sushi pencil, then minutes later hear "your total is $71.44"

full disclosure I didn't finish. thankfully I got a phone call that interrupted the bing, therefore I have leftovers for lunch.
leftover lunch. :fancy: no, it wasn't enough.
top left, clockwise: unagi, spicy tuna, somethingorother, black tobiko roe, yellowtail, salmon rushdie.

20201117_133258.jpg