Quantcast

Tuesday

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
GC's dad died so he's gone dark on us (was sick last 2 weeks and went mostly dark then). His electrician/carpenter is also his brother, so he's also out. Everything we're pending on is framing the fireplace surround so that the Durock and stone can be installed and two lights to be installed. His painter/mason and plumber/journeyman electrician/carpenter (framing mostly) are currently here finishing the last bits of drywall and knockdown, then are not allowed to do any work until next week once the GC gets back to town (mind he hasn't been here in 2 weeks).

We don't have a contract with him, just paying by the hour for when his guys are here. Making decision tonight as to fire GC and hire these guys independently (weekend work at 60% the rate), as they can get it done by EOW. Right now they are doing some work on baseboards as I don't have the ability to work on them until the weekend and we are paying them for independent work, as they were supposed to be not doing other work beyond the touch-up work (already done) and are using my tools entirely (mitre, nail gun, etc).
:popcorn:

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Every time I'm forced to shop at Lowes I remember why I loathe that place. Employees run away from you, lines for returns are like 8 deep with one poor bastard running the register, and just a generally infuriating shopping experience.
I don't have bad experience with Lowes in Woburn, certainly not worse than the overrun-by-contractors Home Depot in North Reading. And unlike HD, they sell sheet glass.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
:disgust:
I thought you were smarter than that.
I have license and insurance information and we're paying ad hoc, since I'm doing a lot of work in unison. Negotiated the rate and have an estimate of hours. We pay after the work is done, so we're not on the hook for any materials or expenses right now. I have documentation for everything that he's supposed to do, so if push came to shove, I have text and email confirmations from him on the work he's done and hasn't.

If I was doing a large, they do everything project, I would set up a contract. This is a GC who works as a handyman, but can do all projects. I'm sure @dan-o will have some comments, but I made a point of doing it this way.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
these dudes all riding sights on janky shore shit...
if you want a 29er and you like your nomad now, just get a hightower or megatower-platform is moar betterer than what you're on. quite happy with my n4 (other than when i cracked my first one...shhhhh...) as are the three other people i know who have them.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
So my sister in law gots some big fucking feet right? She stops at our house after a function and takes her shoes off. On a whim I stuck my foot in one and it fit perfect. Red leather, four inch heel. Then I quickly kicked it off because the last thing I need is another fetish.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
if you want a 29er and you like your nomad now, just get a hightower or megatower-platform is moar betterer than what you're on. quite happy with my n4 (other than when i cracked my first one...shhhhh...) as are the three other people i know who have them.
Yeah, that’s not a trail I ride anymore...

I’d be happy to pick up another Santa Cruz, but I’m not as baller as I once was... stupid kids...

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Are you riding the replacement frame? Thought you sold it.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
What is going on here? Everybody has been killing me with the word play/puns all day today. Forums, real life and even in a zoom meeting.
If you come across an asshole in the course of your day, you just met an asshole.

If you come across assholes throughout the day, you are the asshole.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Are you riding the replacement frame? Thought you sold it.
yeah. tried to sell it at the worst time possible (late march) and got no takers for what i needed to cover the GG, so just built it up. shop hooked me up and got me a cc (original was a c)

and yeah, that trail looks super fun.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
How does the lower linkage do with collecting dirt and grinding itself/destroying bearings? I'm been looking at Hightowers but I'd read a few comments about the way the lower linkage collects dirt that put me off.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
How does the lower linkage do with collecting dirt and grinding itself/destroying bearings? I'm been looking at Hightowers but I'd read a few comments about the way the lower linkage collects dirt that put me off.
haven't had any problems w/lower linkage/bearings wearing on the nomad. and the most i "clean" my bikes is to hose them off every few months.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Every time I'm forced to shop at Lowes I remember why I loathe that place. Employees run away from you, lines for returns are like 8 deep with one poor bastard running the register, and just a generally infuriating shopping experience.
It’s the opposite around here, well not really the opposite exactly, they just have no line at the returns counter. Employees scamper, but that’s a big plus IMHO, I don’t need, and definitely do t want their help, at Home Depot they follow you around the entire goddamn store trying to tell you where shit is, except they have no clue where, or what, anything is. My store is an organizational war crime, they pile so much shit everywhere that you can’t push a lumber cart through without hitting something. I just gofull ramming speed and knock displays over, seems to work, butfor some reason they get pissy about it. The only redeeming feature is that they have really fucking dumb people working the register, they’ll miss items in your cart and argue with you about it, so you end up with a lot of free shit. Don’thave to deal with the mile long return line if you didn’t pay for the item in the first place. In closing, fuck Home Depot.

Very glad to not be in the middle of a project at the moment.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Looked at process of building fireplace surround structure. A drunk monkey can build a structural box from 2x6 and 2x4's, tying it into the existing studs. If I can build a wooden half-pipe that is structurally sound, I can build that. Given the drywall is down and the studs are visible, I will be getting a whole bunch of wood tomorrow between meetings so that I can start building tomorrow evening. I'll still have the stone put on by the non-GC, because that's detail work (ie Wifey has to see it)

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Since I assume you’ll be covering the surround in stone as soon as possible after framing, do your future self a favor and find a real lumberyard that sells kiln dried wood. It’ll cost a bit more than home center garbage, but you’re not buying much, and being already dry it won’t settle and shrink. When attaching non-flexy materials to something, it helps to build that thing out of materials that won’t move all around in 3 months and crack all your stone work. Just my $0.01 having seen and fixed a ton of really bad failures when builders use shit wood and build as fast as possible.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Since I assume you’ll be covering the surround in stone as soon as possible after framing, do your future self a favor and find a real lumberyard that sells kiln dried wood. It’ll cost a bit more than home center garbage, but you’re not buying much, and being already dry it won’t settle and shrink. When attaching non-flexy materials to something, it helps to build that thing out of materials that won’t move all around in 3 months and crack all your stone work. Just my $0.01 having seen and fixed a ton of really bad failures when builders use shit wood and build as fast as possible.
But, but, pallet wood is free.