Quantcast

$*# Tuesday #*$

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Waiting for @jimmydean to announce the purchase of the new Z06. Maybe so fat when it flips it lands back on the wheels again.

I made chicken yesterday and it was good.
It's my understanding the wait list is at like 3 years right now. I am 5-6 years out from getting a clean used one. Z07 package, please.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
What does the lock do, for when its parked?

Can you just remove it?
Locks the steering wheel when parked. Removing it means dismantling half the dashboard, removing steering wheel and steering column. German engineering.

Locks the steering wheel when parked. Removing it means dismantling half the dashboard, removing steering wheel and steering column. German engineering.
I want a USB outlet or outlets that would be live when the van's not running. The stuff to do that is under the driver's seat. Removing the seat involves disconnecting the battery, blah, blah, blah. Fucking something up means getting a tow to the dealership.

Also, none of the roughly 100 fuses and fuse receptacles are labeled much beyond numbers...
1636492614286.png

1636492663635.png

More under hood...

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
So what's broken - locking or unlocking the lock? I had massive PITA problem with my old Volvo that would not release the ignition key removal lock when setting the transmission to P. You literally could not remove the key from the car in colder temps. Replacement cost was about 5x the value of the car then.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
What are steering wheel locks for anyways, theft prevention?

I was going to suggest perhaps seeing if there is a dedicated fuse for that circuit - but alas what @johnbryanpeters points out might make that a task itself. Or snip the wires to it, while its unlocked?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
So what's broken - locking or unlocking the lock? I had massive PITA problem with my old Volvo that would not release the ignition key removal lock when setting the transmission to P. You literally could not remove the key from the car in colder temps. Replacement cost was about 5x the value of the car then.
Funnily enough I just received a notice from Subaru that they are extending the warranty on the steering lock on our car for that exact reason - issues they've had with people being unable to remove the key from the ignition when in park.

Our car is push button start...

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
What are steering wheel locks for anyways, theft prevention?

I was going to suggest perhaps seeing if there is a dedicated fuse for that circuit - but alas what @johnbryanpeters points out might make that a task itself. Or snip the wires to it, while its unlocked?
The 'puter needs to know to steering is unlock to start the van, so you cannot just disable it. You can buy an emulator form Russia or something but you still need to get to it to remove it. Oh and btw, if by any luck it fails while engaged, you can no longer remove it. You have to drill a hole into the body to engage the gear manually.

A nice DIY guide here: https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/640328-esl-steering-lock-motor-replacement-lots-pics.html

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
The 'puter needs to know to steering is unlock to start the van, so you cannot just disable it. You can buy an emulator form Russia or something but you still need to get to it to remove it. Oh and btw, if by any luck it fails while engaged, you can no longer remove it. You have to drill a hole into the body to engage the gear manually.

A nice DIY guide here: https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/640328-esl-steering-lock-motor-replacement-lots-pics.html
So what if this isht happens when overlanding a $300k Sprint camper in the middle of nowhere?

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
it's the electric steering column lock. It engages and disengages when you put the coded key in. If the lock does not disengage, the van won't start... that little bugger left a bunch of Sprinter owner stranded in the middle of nowhere.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Moroccan for dinner was stupid good. Girls got me an electric coffee mug that keeps my coffee hot. I'll probably use it for a bit, to show how much I enjoy it, but until I have panels on, it's a waste of electricity. Hannah also proceeded to throw up on the way home. So yeah.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Moroccan for dinner was stupid good. Girls got me an electric coffee mug that keeps my coffee hot. I'll probably use it for a bit, to show how much I enjoy it, but until I have panels on, it's a waste of electricity. Hannah also proceeded to throw up on the way home. So yeah.
That Ember mug uses an entirely negligible amount of electricity. Judging by this it probably has a 20 Wh battery or so.

That’s about 0.08 of a mile traveled in an electric car (or 0.8 miles with me on my commuter e-bike).

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
"amusement park"

let's go pussy

we have standards to uphold

HBD!
I did decide to respond... I haven't heard back in coming on 10hrs now.

I talk to Millennials daily with work - all walks of life. Most entitled assholes? Boomers by far then older Gen-X . It's a pretty sharp downward slope actually regarding levels of entitlement from "I can't live on $100k in retirement with my RV, Corvette, and extra mtge on my condo in FL" to "will I be able to buy groceries? I'm saving everything I can, but I'm $30k in debt from getting my Master's in education, my rent is $1800/m to share an apartment in the ghetto, and the district only pays me $50k/yr". Turn off Fox, get off FB, interact with some people with net worth's less than $2mm, and reflect on your own entitlement. /Conversation

Oh, and thanks. I'm looking forward to dinner tonight.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I did decide to respond... I haven't heard back in coming on 10hrs now.
I just meant that you need to treat that "body" like an amusement park and punch it in the pussy with some drugs and alcohol and questionably legal excursions because it's your birthday. I really don't care about the assholes you deal with at work, you should be ignoring them.

It's time to party son!

*although it's funny reading your accounts about 'clients' :rofl:

Last edited:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Going to Canada Friday to retrieve some Family objects. Kind of nervous. Hoping its not a trap. Damn Covids got shit all fucked up.