Quantcast

(Tuesday)

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
You say that's for a chip manufacturer? How is your current skillet of benefit to them?

No offense intended, of course, I'm genuinely curious.
Your guess is as good as mine!

The job is actually maintaining the machines, that make the semiconductors. Being less factitious, based on the job description, there certainly seems to be a lot of overlap in troubleshooting/maintenance/preventative maintenance. Hydraulics, electrics, pneumatics, etc.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
you're assuming flex is always a bad thing.
We're not talking about MotoGP bikes deflecting laterally when leaned over 50 degrees here. In a rack like this it seems like less flex equates pretty directly to less chance of bikes exiting unintentionally. My Thule has almost let go of my bikes 3-4 times over the years... (and many years back my roof-mount Thule/Sportworks-design rack did let go of one of my friend's bikes with the caveat that he was the one that cinched it up on the rack).

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
We're not talking about MotoGP bikes deflecting laterally when leaned over 50 degrees here. In a rack like this it seems like less flex equates pretty directly to less chance of bikes exiting unintentionally. My Thule has almost let go of my bikes 3-4 times over the years... (and many years back my roof-mount Thule/Sportworks-design rack did let go of one of my friend's bikes with the caveat that he was the one that cinched it up on the rack).
My Thule let go of my bike once. Granted, it was while a thief was reefing on it, so I can hardly the fault the bike rack.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
are you familiar with "user error"?
All of these incidents have been with a ~45 lb bike whose wheelbase is slightly longer than the rack's width, with spirited cornering. I bet that all of these parameters (bike weight, wheelbase, cornering g forces) are outside the rack's original design parameters.

Thus the new rack, to let me corner with nary a worry.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
What has happened these times: the front wheel wrenches itself a bit out of its plastic, slightly malleable wheel tray. Hook on top is still on, rear wheel strap is still on, but now the tire's at an angle above the tray a bit and things are coming a bit undone... then I notice, stop, and put it back in place.

I had forgotten how interesting the brakes on the Moonlander are to service. There's no line of sight for caliper centering due to rim offset, so a lot of mirrors, lights, and swearing.

We have received about a half an inch of rain. What we really need is that every other day for about two weeks.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Pretty down over here. My wrist appears to be properly fuxxored, and what’s annoying is that I didn’t even do anything.
cant ride, cook, play guitar, work on bikes…woe is me. I have an event on Saturday, so I’m just laying low and hoping for the best.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
All of these incidents have been with a ~45 lb bike whose wheelbase is slightly longer than the rack's width, with spirited cornering. I bet that all of these parameters (bike weight, wheelbase, cornering g forces) are outside the rack's original design parameters.

Thus the new rack, to let me corner with nary a worry.
an old buddy knew some guys that worked at thule. they would take stuff to a race track to test it. they hinted to me that their racks can withstand a good amount more than what they are rated for in terms of weight, speed, etc.

10 years on my T2, lots of DH bikes (including 2 at a time), jackass driving, etc, not ONCE was it *ever* close to losing a bike.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
We have mountains out here

Roads curve about these mountains

and I'm in either a minivan or my Land Cruiser, mind you.

:D

edit: Motor Trend got 0.82 g out of a FWD Pacifica!

you do realize you're talking to someone who jimmydean'd a minivan right?

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
my wife has been out of work ~4.5 years and counting because some jackass didn't think that driving laws applied to them.
With all due respect to your wife’s situation, you can still have some fun in a car without breaking any laws. Speed limit is the same for the corners as the straights. And provides enough chalange to satisfy ones desire for speed.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Right, also that rack was one of the heaviest ones available at 56 pounds. Has little airplane luggage wheels for transporting. Mine weighs 28 pounds and can be folded up for easy storage.
eh? only wheels on my T2 are bike wheels.

if you can lift a 40+ lb dh bike but not a 56 lb rack maybe mtb isn't the sport for you.

i only routinely remove my rack from my car during the winter when the roads get salted.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
my point is that even jackass driving shouldn't cause a bike to fall off a T2
Remember when the trays on the old T2 could just slide right off the rack? :busted:

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
My rack comes off the vehicle every ride. I wash my cars more than once per season

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
eh? only wheels on my T2 are bike wheels.

if you can lift a 40+ lb dh bike but not a 56 lb rack maybe mtb isn't the sport for you.

i only routinely remove my rack from my car during the winter when the roads get salted.
The Thule T2 Pro has a set of roller blade like wheels on the bottom, for dragging it around*. I don't think its the weight, its how awkward of an item it is.

*or for my buddy who has one on his Volvo v70r, it serves as a rolling bumpstop on steep road transitions. :rofl:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Remember when the trays on the old T2 could just slide right off the rack? :busted:

given that these racks were sometimes assembled by end users, i'm not surprised.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The Thule T2 Pro has a set of roller blade like wheels on the bottom, for dragging it around*. I don't think its the weight, its how awkward of an item it is.

*or for my buddy who has one on his Volvo v70r, it serves as a rolling bumpstop on steep road transitions. :rofl:
i'm talking the OG T2. mine is 10 years old, long before the pro launched.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
i'm talking the OG T2. mine is 10 years old, long before the pro launched.
These "new" ones are most likely quite a few pounds heavier than yours. The lower mount part is pretty substantial and they can fit phattyphatphat bikes without any changes.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
These "new" ones are most likely quite a few pounds heavier than yours. The lower mount part is pretty substantial and they can fit phattyphatphat bikes without any changes.

I, too, have the old-ass design.

The main rack has the OG non-fat tire trays. The 2 bike add-on bit has newer style wide front wheel trays for fat bikes, but also the annoying rear tire strap without the lever, only with the clicky-clicky part. Win some, lose some.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
The Pro design seems to have solved the occasional (not my particular issue) "tray slipping right off the main shaft" issue. The old design has the tray secured with a piece of metal and 4 bolts holding that down, whereas the new design appears to have a welded on mounting tray. Glad they fixed that.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I, too, have the old-ass design.

The main rack has the OG non-fat tire trays. The 2 bike add-on bit has newer style wide front wheel trays for fat bikes, but also the annoying rear tire strap without the lever, only with the clicky-clicky part. Win some, lose some.
yea, i still have the non-fat trays. only issue i've ever had was losing the tire straps. i have extras now.