Quantcast

***Tuesday's GMT***

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Ugh.

Swift kicks in the crotch are in order. Currently rebuilding documents cause someone didn't understand page vs section breaks, and pasted footers into the document as text boxes. Whyyyyyyyyyyy

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Hangover. Need to straighten the rear disc brake without tools so the 2 pieces of wood + hammer method will have to do. Also I got selected to some fancy program at the company. It's global and I think I'm the only one that ever got into any such program from the PL office. No money from that but the people there are cool. Ie. They are people who actually read non fiction books and studies and learn from them. Rare in the corporate world

Also Vox made a video about the dumpster fire that is my country. They are omiting police going full on 3rd world private political army but yeah it's good to see.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Herro. Wife had an appointment with the GI doc and I had to drive her and wait, so I used that opportunity to run 7 miles. Hilly run and I had no energy. Blah.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Here. Slow work day. Might work on a jointer jig and cross-cut jig for the table saw today. I'm going to need a scrap wood cart pretty soon as well.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I have a bunch of PTO to burn before Jan 1.
Same, I've been taking Friday's off for several weeks now when possible. If the trails weren't all ice/mud I'd suggest a socially distanced bicycle ride.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Same as every day: work, cook dinner for the fam, sleep
Some good news at work though. With the shitshow 2020 has been and its impact on bars/restaurants, we were braced for the worst. Somehow we've already exceeded the volume brewed last year! Some thirsty MFers out there.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Is it only Tuesday. Ugh. Worked till 11:30 last night, didn't get to bed till 12:30, and kiddo woke up at 6. My gut is not happy at the moment either.

Last push on this project is today (I hope). If it quiets down enough (and my gut recovers), I may go for a frozen earth ride later today. Or tomorrow if the mix of rain and snow isn't too bad.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Same as every day: work, cook dinner for the fam, sleep
Some good news at work though. With the shitshow 2020 has been and its impact on bars/restaurants, we were braced for the worst. Somehow we've already exceeded the volume brewed last year! Some thirsty MFers out there.
Do you guys do home deliveries? Caus' my beer drinking has gone through the roof in part because it's so damn easy to shop my local brewery's website and have them deliver it the next day. And they keep hooking me up with "discount codes" making it even more enticing to load the cart.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Do you guys do home deliveries? Caus' my beer drinking has gone through the roof in part because it's so damn easy to shop my local brewery's website and have them deliver it the next day. And they keep hooking me up with "discount codes" making it even more enticing to load the cart.
No we don't, sorry

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
in general, my drinking went through the roof this year. I started really tapering in Oct. and now I'm having a 1-2 drinks max, once per week.

Man I sure do love a tasty beer or rye though ...

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
No we don't, sorry
I wasn't asking you to deliver to me, I'm in Canada! I was just saying I think this year has been good for the local breweries here because they've been allowed to make home deliveries, and people like me a thristy AF!

But I'm glad you guys are doing well. I can't wait to make it south of the border to sample your wares, I've been told they are great!

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
I wasn't asking you to deliver to me, I'm in Canada! I was just saying I think this year has been good for the local breweries here because they've been allowed to make home deliveries, and people like me a thristy AF!

But I'm glad you guys are doing well. I can't wait to make it south of the border to sample your wares, I've been told they are great!
LOL, force of habit, people are always asking if we ship. Good to hear your local guys are keeping up; a lot of ours aren't doing so well. A lot of the local places had to close with the restaurants and were slow to figure out how to keep beer sales moving without the ability to have customers in the door. Most eventually figured it out, but I know it had to hurt them. Thankfully, we had the ability to quickly change how we packaged and sold beer to fit the new market. Instead of long package runs and a lot of inventory on hand shipping within 7 days, we moved to shorter runs based on orders with most goods shipping within 24 hours of being packaged. Chaotic for sure, but it worked.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
LOL, force of habit, people are always asking if we ship. Good to hear your local guys are keeping up; a lot of ours aren't doing so well. A lot of the local places had to close with the restaurants and were slow to figure out how to keep beer sales moving without the ability to have customers in the door. Most eventually figured it out, but I know it had to hurt them. Thankfully, we had the ability to quickly change how we packaged and sold beer to fit the new market. Instead of long package runs and a lot of inventory on hand shipping within 7 days, we moved to shorter runs based on orders with most goods shipping within 24 hours of being packaged. Chaotic for sure, but it worked.
you will mail me double blizzard

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
do you also have planer?
No. I'm working on the hope that I can keep my board size, at least near-term, to under the width of my blade. With a 10" blade, I have slightly over a true 4" of cutting.

For the tables Wifey wants, I might just get s4s boards. The cabinet doors will be shaker with poplar sides and 1/4" birch ply centers. Those won't be wider the 3.5", maybe 4" max, so I can rip my width off long planks and square from there. Haley's bed will be mostly built from 2*4 and birch ply, with a few 2*6 pieces. I'll do some test pieces on scrap to see if I can plane that on the table - I should be able to, although it will be slow.

Most everything on my list right now I can get away with not having a planer. It's the lack of a jointer and getting things square that is my larger issue.

I've been following tool auctions though, and if I can find one for cheap, I will definitely get it.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
in general, my drinking went through the roof this year. I started really tapering in Oct. and now I'm having a 1-2 drinks max, once per week.

Man I sure do love a tasty beer or rye though ...
I still think losing the ability to drink beer cut my weight by the most over the last 2 years. Given I'm not a fan of spirits, that really reduces my intake to effectively naught. Best unintentional consequence of my epilepsy to date.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
No. I'm working on the hope that I can keep my board size, at least near-term, to under the width of my blade. With a 10" blade, I have slightly over a true 4" of cutting.

For the tables Wifey wants, I might just get s4s boards. The cabinet doors will be shaker with poplar sides and 1/4" birch ply centers. Those won't be wider the 3.5", maybe 4" max, so I can rip my width off long planks and square from there. Haley's bed will be mostly built from 2*4 and birch ply, with a few 2*6 pieces. I'll do some test pieces on scrap to see if I can plane that on the table - I should be able to, although it will be slow.

Most everything on my list right now I can get away with not having a planer. It's the lack of a jointer and getting things square that is my larger issue.

I've been following tool auctions though, and if I can find one for cheap, I will definitely get it.
do you have a router table? that can also work as a jointer.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Wahoo is sending me another new-to-me KICKR at no charge, which is cool since mine is about six months past warranty. This will be my third one in two years. Third time's a charm, maybe?? It's cool that they'll ship my new one as soon as the return label for my current one gets scanned.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
do you have a router table? that can also work as a jointer.
I don't have a table. My workbench is large enough to setup something like this though:

I'd probably use dedicated pieces for risers and build rails into the jig to get to it slide evenly down the item being flattened. His method just looks like it takes far more effort than necessary.

Realistically, the majority of my stuff is going to be pine. Hopefully I can find premium at my local lumberyard vs HD framing grade; the latter will require a lot of extra work.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I don't have a table. My workbench is large enough to setup something like this though:

I'd probably use dedicated pieces for risers and build rails into the jig to get to it slide evenly down the item being flattened. His method just looks like it takes far more effort than necessary.

Realistically, the majority of my stuff is going to be pine. Hopefully I can find premium at my local lumberyard vs HD framing grade; the latter will require a lot of extra work.
i found a router table on craigslist for like $50 and bolted my own router onto it.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Maybably gonna duck out of work early afternoon for a short pedal outdoors. Still not feeling any crappiness other than an infrequent cough, so I'm rolling with it.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Test run with the Vitamix was a great success. Smoothie was pretty tops, certainly better than Panera, and worlds better than the chunky slop our old Ninja churned out.

How wide are the boards you typically work with? A 6" jointer is a more versatile tool and can be had for reasonable money. Not to mention, probably the best way to prepare edges if you glue multiple boards. Just requires more space if thats your main concern.

Last edited:

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Test run with the Vitamix was a great success. Smoothie was pretty tops, certainly better than Panera, and worlds better than the chunky slop our old Ninja churned out.

How wide are the boards you typically work with? A 6" jointer is a more versatile tool and can be had for reasonable money. Not to mention, probably the best way to prepare edges if you glue multiple boards. Just requires more space if thats your main concern.
I doubt I'll be doing anything larger than 6" boards anytime soon. It's more about storage space. I have one side of a 2-xar garage that already needs space for bikes, etc.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
woodmonkey.com

I am working today. 7-4. Like Shane, motivation is low, but bills to pay etc.