Quantcast

^^^ TuesdayTuesdayTuesday ^^^

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Powerwalls decided to feed the grid yesterday, 8:00 to 8:45, 9:00 to 10:30, and 11:00 to 11:30.

:wave:
take that to the power meter thread ya noob!

Cold AF this morning. Will stay inside and do stuff.
edit: -31F wind chill... :panic:

Last edited:

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Yo!

Ordered up some bike tools, regular tools, and new gloves yesterday. The electronics in my life require a refresh, but I am reticent to do so.

Mouse #17, 18, and 19 caught yesterday. :rofl:

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Flooring in one room done and it looks fucking incredible. Old flooring was a deep red, this is closer to natural birch. Room is so much brighter and doesn't feel like a cave. In theory they should finish today, but I doubt it given their current pace, probably tomorrow.

There was a bit of a fuck up on their work order which led to FIL very quickly cutting about 15' of boards that are underneath the new built-ins, as I was on a call. It was ugly work and I'm going to have to touch-up the pain on the built-ins, but we ended up getting back a decent amount of money for that and a few other things the sales person over estimated on and I caught.

Given that was already spent in the budget, once we get the insulation and house sealing work done, we're going to see what's left of the insurance check (vs. our over). Wifey really, REALLY wants to replace countertops too, despite the ones we have being really nice granite. Might go with happy wife and do it, then try to find a way to repurpose the existing stone (friend's renovating or Habitat)

While they were doing that I removed some excessively ornate crown moulding from one area of the kitchen cabinets and just put in a flat board. Ceiling isn't plumb, so I am still making some angled 1/4-1/8" shims to close the ceiling gap where it's tool large for caulk. The idea that removing crown moulding that sets out only 3" over a 6' length can make a room feel larger is a mind blowing concept to me, but it does. Beyond the remaining work left, it also looks a lot better.

Managed to accidentally pinch my finger in the nail gun slider yesterday. Hurt like a mother fucker and probably needed stitches. Meh. Interview this afternoon.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Yo!

Ordered up some bike tools, regular tools, and new gloves yesterday. The electronics in my life require a refresh, but I am reticent to do so.

Mouse #17, 18, and 19 caught yesterday. :rofl:
how are you determining that you aren't catching the same mice over and over. I mean, they live there (maybe first?) as far as they know you're just some asshole who kicks them out every once in a while. :hmm:

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
how are you determining that you aren't catching the same mice over and over. I mean, they live there (maybe first?) as far as they know you're just some asshole who kicks them out every once in a while. :hmm:
I am releasing them a mile from where we live, in the woods, with many houses and roads between us. Unless these mice are atypical in their persistence, its a different crew.

It doesn't help that they had an opportunity to inhabit and settle in here long before we arrived.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
I am releasing them a mile from where we live, in the woods, with many houses and roads between us. Unless these mice are atypical in their persistence, its a different crew.

It doesn't help that they had an opportunity to inhabit and settle in here long before we arrived.
Mark them with a little bit of paint on their backs before you release them. For science.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado

When we were having mouse issues we spent most of the time sealing the house. After we got things sealed the problems stopped pretty quickly. We did have le dead mouse food too, but they went away immediately after the focus on sealing.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Both houses I've lived in had several mice soon after I first moved in.

4-5 were killed at each residence as soon as possible. No other changes made. No mice or mouse shit ever seen again, years later.

I am a firm believer mice communicate like people, and word spread fast that no mice were ever seen again after entering my basement/garage.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
How long does that even take, or do you get to use the trucker pumps?
I can only fit into the truck islands at truck stops so they are high volume pumps, takes no longer than a regular fill up at a standard gas pump, only difference is you have to use a fleet card or prepay every time. Occasionally I will have to use the RV islands at some truck stops like Flying J, Petro or Loves and that takes 15 minutes at a minimum. I have time to take a leak, do some shopping and get food and the pump will still be going by the time I get back to the handle.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
Here....

Wife and I just talked about this last night, the OG IPad and Galaxy Tab 3 are at the point were updates aren't available, and new stuff won't go without updating.....

I suggested we take up reading more.

other than my macbook pro I am using the big Ipad pro and it is essentially a desktop replacement for me now. really dig the size and battery. Surprisingly the processor speed is quite capable even with 4k editing in final cut and photo editing in lightroom.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Here....

Wife and I just talked about this last night, the OG IPad and Galaxy Tab 3 are at the point were updates aren't available, and new stuff won't go without updating.....

I suggested we take up reading more.
Been doing plenty of reading lately, with actual books too. Still have a hard time getting into e-readers.

We've got an ancient TV, 2nd gen Apple TV, and an 8 year old laptop that I'm starting to get "operating system no longer supported" messages for. Sucks, cause technology brings me little joy, but I'm not sure how much longer I can put this off.

other than my macbook pro I am using the big Ipad pro and it is essentially a desktop replacement for me now. really dig the size and battery. Surprisingly the processor speed is quite capable even with 4k editing in final cut and photo editing in lightroom.
O rly...that's good to know. Id love to get by with just a tablet if possible. One of my biggest hangup is still having local copies of Lightroom and Photoshop on this computer. Granted they are no longer supported or updated (involves a workaround for raw images on my newer camera), but it doesnt require a monthly subscription fee for something I do not use frequently.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
What's up party people. Walked 4 miles this morning and stopped for a donut on the way for fuel. Wife is back at work this week, so it's going to be solo entertainment for a few months.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
O rly...that's good to know. Id love to get by with just a tablet if possible. One of my biggest hangup is still having local copies of Lightroom and Photoshop on this computer. Granted they are no longer supported or updated (involves a workaround for raw images on my newer camera), but it doesnt require a monthly subscription fee for something I do not use frequently.
Once you get used to the apple pencil with editing you will never go back.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
How's the recovery going?

it's going to be solo entertainment for a few months.
TBH, after my accident, the worst part of the whole recovery process was when my wife went back to work and I was stuck at home alone. Because of my busted tail bone and pelvis, I couldn't even sit and play video games for more than 10 minutes, never mind getting out and doing, anything. I was bored out of my fucking mind.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
<snip>an 8 year old laptop that I'm starting to get "operating system no longer supported" messages for. Sucks, cause technology brings me little joy, but I'm not sure how much longer I can put this off.
You're a handy guy... what do you use the laptop for? Does it have a reasonable amount of memory (4GB or more)? I presume that it has a spinning hard drive? Get a few more years of life out of it by tossing in an SSD and installing some laptop-friendly version of Linux.

If you have a bunch of shit that *requires* Microsoft... forget all that and just get an inexpensive new laptop.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
You're a handy guy... what do you use the laptop for? Does it have a reasonable amount of memory (4GB or more)? I presume that it has a spinning hard drive? Get a few more years of life out of it by tossing in an SSD and installing some laptop-friendly version of Linux.

If you have a bunch of shit that *requires* Microsoft... forget all that and just get an inexpensive new laptop.
It's already got a 500GB SD, and I try to keep files on it as lean as possible by utilizing my NAS for storage, but more than one piece of software has recently declared that my OS will no longer be supported in a few months. I can't update the OS, cause too old, which is a shame because the computer still runs fine and does everything I need of it.

Does moving to Linux on Mac solve all those issues? I know precisely zip about Linux.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
are you on leave from work? disability?
Yes. Had to cover the first 30 days with vacation/sick. I had about two weeks, so leave without pay for the last two-ish. Should be starting short term disability after. Scheduled to be cleared for work again May 11th. So, sort of sucks with reduced pay. But, bright side, I should be able to run parts.

How's the recovery going?

TBH, after my accident, the worst part of the whole recovery process was when my wife went back to work and I was stuck at home alone. Because of my busted tail bone and pelvis, I couldn't even sit and play video games for more than 10 minutes, never mind getting out and doing, anything. I was bored out of my fucking mind.
All things considered, really well. Just glad to not be a quad or a potato. So happy that I'll be basically back to normal after all this. Sitting is one thing I can do. I actually get fatigued standing for more than like 30-40 min. But I do try to get up and stay active. It is going to suck being at home all the time. I can't drive. Basically at home, watching tv, using computer and phone, sleeping and hopefully some machining.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
It's already got a 500GB SD, and I try to keep files on it as lean as possible by utilizing my NAS for storage, but more than one piece of software has recently declared that my OS will no longer be supported in a few months. I can't update the OS, cause too old, which is a shame because the computer still runs fine and does everything I need of it.

Does moving to Linux on Mac solve all those issues? I know precisely zip about Linux.
Heh - no. If you use software that is Microsoft OS-dependent, Linux will just make your life *much* harder. If you're just doing web/email stuff, you could probably eek out some more life from that thing. What's the bitchy software?