Quantcast

***Tuesderp GMT***

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I gotta say, though - it's kinda fun doing the Moron Slalom up I-70 in a good snowstorm...
the first time i lived in colorado was the only time i really drove in the mountains in the snow.....lived near the end of tiger road in breckenridge....

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
I can definitely tell the difference between snow tires and all seasons. One likes to skate around a bit, the other tracks right through it. I'm a believer.

Second, four wheel drive and all wheel drive are not the same thing..... Full time four wheel drive is just a fancy way of saying all wheel drive.....
Not always true, as in the case of my Land Cruiser:

- low range, check
- longitudinal engine layout, check
- even torque split at baseline via Torsen diff, check
- lockable center diff, check

Mine is a full-time 4WD system that happens to have a Torsen center diff and no off switch.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Afternoon Monkeys.

My car is full of nearly $200 worth of delicious pie. Why am I even here right now? Only some of it is mine, it is a good fundraiser for my little monkeys Jazz Band at teh school. Frozen pie I can justify spending some coin on, I was not happy having to support the neighbor kids awful Boy Scout popcorn.

Boy Scouts should sell gift certificates for Girl Scout cookies, that would be something I could buy.

Snow tires are only really required if you have assholes to contend with.

I commute 25miles each way over hilly backroads in MA and NH, and have only ever had a FWD car with all seasons. No assholes in front or behind me = keeping momentum up (or down) as required is all that's needed.

You CO people make me :twitch:
Try the Appalachian Gap on black ice. Provided that you survive, you will become a convert.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Does Stoney hooning around in the ///M mean that it's finally fixed? Or is it just awaiting shipment of yet another part? (or is he still in the Passat loaner? things are hazy)

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Does Stoney hooning around in the ///M mean that it's finally fixed? Or is it just awaiting shipment of yet another part? (or is he still in the Passat loaner? things are hazy)
Still in the Passat, which is where today's ibtching came from. The parts are being ordered from Germany.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Still in the Passat, which is where today's ibtching came from. The parts are being ordered from Germany.
Did they ever run a compression test or are they just throwing more parts at it?
Could always be 'both'.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Looks like this is going to be skigiving this year.
Last time I skied on thanksgiving, it was in Wisconsin. -__-

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Did they ever run a compression test or are they just throwing more parts at it?
Could always be 'both'.
Compression was fine. The oil burn is most likely because oil is draining into the plenum (intake chamber on top of engine - each cylinder has an intake). That is caused by either a blockage in the CCV system or a valve on the back on the VANOS unit not closing. I'm getting VANOS codes because oil pressure drives the VANOS, which won't work right if there is open oil flow into the system. It's a very, very unlikelihood that the VANOS unit itself is failing.

I've know that is a likelihood, but it's very uncommon, so I went for the likely things first. The only reason it's at the shop is because I couldn't get the tsat cover installed. I would have taken care of the support valve as a next step, but they have the car. I also want them to do a full inspection once they are done.

I can't think of anything else that red flags, minus suspension that has 92k on it. But I won't do that for at least another year. When I do it, I will complete the whole thing: new bushings/bearings/shocks/possibly springs/etc. A lot of the parts don't have replacable bushings/bearings, so I will be replacing full arms, so expensive. The only other thing is that the rod bearing will need to be done next year. That is a 115k service item.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Compression was fine. The oil burn is most likely because oil is draining into the plenum (intake chamber on top of engine - each cylinder has an intake). That is caused by either a blockage in the CCV system or a valve on the back on the VANOS unit not closing. I'm getting VANOS codes because oil pressure drives the VANOS, which won't work right if there is open oil flow into the system. It's a very, very unlikelihood that the VANOS unit itself is failing.

I've know that is a likelihood, but it's very uncommon, so I went for the likely things first. The only reason it's at the shop is because I couldn't get the tsat cover installed. I would have taken care of the support valve as a next step, but they have the car. I also want them to do a full inspection once they are done.

I can't think of anything else that red flags, minus suspension that has 92k on it. But I won't do that for at least another year. When I do it, I will complete the whole thing: new bushings/bearings/shocks/possibly springs/etc. A lot of the parts don't have replacable bushings/bearings, so I will be replacing full arms, so expensive. The only other thing is that the rod bearing will need to be done next year. That is a 115k service item.
That's good news about the compression.
It's a beautiful car and worthy of the expense as long as it makes you smile.
HP's a helluva drug.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Just got home. Fuck that traffic. I got stuck on a large hill on the freeway behind a VW Passat, which appeared to be a manual. Apparently Passats can creep in first gear much slower than my WRX. That was mildy annoying.

In prep for tomorrow nights BBB (bikes, bbq and beers), I am staying in tonight and going to practice my beer intake skills.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I got another Turkey today. A coyote got to it first however. I field dressed it and climbed a tall tree to drape it for the hawks and owls. The Coyote is fucking with me.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
good ipas are good.

prepping for my meaningless, 4 month late, annual review tomorrow. totally forgot about it until in a meeting today my boss said "we can discuss this in greater depth at your review tomorrow."

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
I can definitely tell the difference between snow tires and all seasons. One likes to skate around a bit, the other tracks right through it. I'm a believer.

Not always true, as in the case of my Land Cruiser:

- low range, check
- longitudinal engine layout, check
- even torque split at baseline via Torsen diff, check
- lockable center diff, check

Mine is a full-time 4WD system that happens to have a Torsen center diff and no off switch.
All the same, what Toyota calls full time 4x4 is still just awd until you lock that center diff.