Quantcast

***Tuesderp GMT***

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Twenty degrees, blowing a snotter, a couple of inches of snow, and falling sleet. First cup of coffee is talking to me.
Time to ride the fat bike!

Raining here. I need to make some coffee. Got to bed a little later trying to get an old computer upgraded to Windows 10. Wish I could just do a clean install instead of just on top of the old Windows 7.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
'Morning! Yep, our first little nugget of winter has arrived. 1-2" of snow, sleet, and ice, which will most likely be washed away by rain later today. So icy roads meant this morning's run was done on the treadmill. 60 minutes, 8.3 miles, 7:15 pace. Included 4 x 10 minutes at 6:45 pace. :dead: That hurt.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Fellow comrades! Not much new here. I know you're all dying to hear what I'm working on. Conversion schemas!!! That's right. I have to get the data out of our old system into the new system. Fun with numbers, blah, blah, blah.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Still work. Was 4* this morning. Took 13 min to get the car warm enough to drive normally. Normally takes 3min.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
14 and snowing here. Back to work tonight after a little ng weekend. Lots done, kiddo made out like a bandit for Xmas. I did as well, wife got my mount done for me, new bipod, and a new cookbook for the smoker.​

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Fellow comrades! Not much new here. I know you're all dying to hear what I'm working on. Conversion schemas!!! That's right. I have to get the data out of our old system into the new system. Fun with numbers, blah, blah, blah.
That actually sounds interesting. :D
Still work. Was 4* this morning. Took 13 min to get the car warm enough to drive normally. Normally takes 3min.
10 degrees here in sunny Stapleton. I had the extra joy of having ice on both the outside of the whole Land Cruiser as well as on the inside of the windshield.

My theory is that moving it from the balmy ~40 degree garage to the street without warming it up on Sunday night, the resulting moist air blown about the interior very briefly, and then the following 36 hours of deep freeze did it.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I know Subarus are falling off favor but... mine is nearly 10 years old and is ready to roll 3 minutes regardless of outside temps. Your seems to be somewhat high maintenance....

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
snow storm. kids played in the snow pile outside. finally. they were driving me nuts being house-bound. I walked to buy some breads and then to get some jam and lunch meats. a two-block square. helped push two cars out of a driveway and out of a side street. Who still thinks it's a good idea to live in Canada and not have snow tires :think:.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Shitdick coworker who bailed on his responsibilities called to check in on me to make sure I was doing his job for him. It took every bit of restraint I could muster to remain civil.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I know Subarus are falling off favor but... mine is nearly 10 years old and is ready to roll 3 minutes regardless of outside temps. Your seems to be somewhat high maintenance....
I don't challenge that. My engine also has a gauge for warm and a light on the tach that says what RPM is safe given current engine temp. The initial light is "ok drive" and takes all of 2-3 min. The "go for it" takes a bit longer.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
A modern fuel injected car with modern oil really shouldn't take any time to be ready to roll unless it is like -25.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Is it time to spend the Christmas seasons haul yet ? Should I call the local Banshee dealer ? Should I order a Pike on closeout for more than half off ? Decisions, decisions...

But first, pancakes.

Last edited:

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Shitdick coworker who bailed on his responsibilities called to check in on me to make sure I was doing his job for him. It took every bit of restraint I could muster to remain civil.
You have far more restraint than me. I would have lit his ass up long ago. But, that might be why I'm hopelessly self-employed.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
You have far more restraint than me. I would have lit his ass up long ago. But, that might be why I'm hopelessly self-employed.
I have lit him up in a professional manner, but the urge to call him a slimy bag of dicks wouldn't be productive no matter how fun it would be.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Morning Monkeys.

The company is having a mandatory team building exercise for all FTE's to watch Star Wars at 2:30. Nothing like a mandatory team building exercise that consists of not talking to each other in a dark room for 3 hours. Perfect for engineers.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Had to drop a package off at the post office. As usual it was filled with old people dropping off letters but I got a special treat when a young couple in front of me had no idea how to mail something. Postal worker had to explain to them they needed an envelope and had to explain where to put the various required addresses.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
A modern fuel injected car with modern oil really shouldn't take any time to be ready to roll unless it is like -25.
That's really not true, even though the engine is lubricated there are a lot of areas that need time before driving...IE transmission. Also it is better if the thermostat opens slowly vs suddenly because you are driving during warm up. Really anything under 30 you should give at least a five minute warmup in all vehicles, unless that is, you just do not care and go for it, knowing that in cold temps doing so you are shortening the life expectancy of your vehicle

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
That's really not true, even though the engine is lubricated there are a lot of areas that need time before driving...IE transmission. Also it is better if the thermostat opens slowly vs suddenly because you are driving during warm up. Really anything under 30 you should give at least a five minute warmup in all vehicles, unless that is, you just do not care and go for it, knowing that in cold temps doing so you are shortening the life expectancy of your vehicle
I just don't like to drive when I'm cold, so I usually let the inside warm up before I take off.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Had to drop a package off at the post office. As usual it was filled with old people dropping off letters but I got a special treat when a young couple in front of me had no idea how to mail something. Postal worker had to explain to them they needed an envelope and had to explain where to put the various required addresses.
:disgust1:

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
There are plenty of articles out there that claim that modern cars don't need warmup time besides that to adjust the mirrors and buckle one's seatbelt...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Care to share the logic behind a slowly opening thermostat? When it is cold outside the thermostat is going to open slower anyway.

So many assertions, so few references...
There are plenty of articles out there that claim that modern cars don't need warmup time besides that to adjust the mirrors and buckle one's seatbelt...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Driving a cold engine has the benefit of heating the catalysts faster and reducing emissions. Not to mention not wasting fuel.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
So many assertions, so few references...

Don't need references when you use reason. A cold engine needs to run rich as low temperatures limit the rate at which the fuel atomizes. Carberated engines run rich via a choke mechanism, even then they need a bit of heat to improve fuel vaporization. Generally a hot intake valve will take care of this.

Modern high pressure fuel injection systems automatically ajdust mixture based on coolant and air temperature. But more effectively they provide finely atomized fuel with a lot of surface area that naturally vaporizes faster than the fat globs of fuel provided by a carb.