Quantcast

*** Tuesderp GMT ***

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Planning a road trip this week just me and the boys. Drive to DC Thursday and bike around the city then head towards Durham in the evening so I can take 40 to end up in Knoxville hopefully with a stop in Ashville ( @Jeremy R I expect you to have lunch ready). Then start to drive back Saturday. I was hoping to drive through Shenandoah National Park on the way home but not sure if that is possible with the wildfire @Westy what do you think?
Things are likely to still be smokey up there. When I drove over the mountain last Thursday visibility was crap. I wouldn't recommend driving the whole thing. Pick a section of the Blue Ridge Parkway that is convenient for your route, it is the same shit as SNP. Are you planning on hiking or just sight seeing from the car? One of my favorite parts is 20 minute cliff overlook.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Westy beat me to it, but yeah driving the Blue Ridge and driving through SNP give the same experience. Both have low speed limits, so don't plan for long sections if you're aiming to travel long distances that day.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
For his own sake, I'd wait until he is quite a bit older (like mid-teens) to express this.

In the meantime you might want to consider having him tolerate and even respect people for their honestly held beliefs. It will make things easier for him...

/soapbox
that sounds like proper parenting advice. who are you and what have you done with mike?!

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
to preface my above post, we were discussing some carpenter bees that attempt to make a home in our deck.
FVCKING CARPENTER BEES. My wife and I have a constant debate about whether I can obliterate them or we have to save them because they are valuable pollinators. Her solution is that I'm supposed to repaint/stain all wood trim. Which I guess if fine but they also destroy the hell out of our split rail fence. I say, murder death kill.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
After I suggested, as a team building activity, that we go to pub across the street that overlooks the hole being blasted to build a metro station, someone pointed out to me that this was circulated to my entire organization (2000 or so people):

"DST Construction has informed us that, as part of the Light Rail Transit Construction Project, blasting and hoe ramming at the corner of Queen and Lyon Street will continue until mid-May."

Essentially, I had suggested that we go to the pub to watch hoe ramming and blasting.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Holy shit. Just got word from my wife that my 5yo has 7 cavities. They're at the dentist now. guess we'll need to ramp up the brushing program ... we don't even eat that much sugar?! wtf?!

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Things are likely to still be smokey up there. When I drove over the mountain last Thursday visibility was crap. I wouldn't recommend driving the whole thing. Pick a section of the Blue Ridge Parkway that is convenient for your route, it is the same shit as SNP. Are you planning on hiking or just sight seeing from the car? One of my favorite parts is 20 minute cliff overlook.
That looks amazing. Boys are 6 and 8 and hoping to do some hiking.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Wife has an interview tonight for a part time teaching position at a local elementary. I am all in favor of this "getting a job" prospect.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
That looks amazing. Boys are 6 and 8 and hoping to do some hiking.

I do a 75 mile road loop around there that has a shit ton of climbing. The overlook is halfway down a long fast descent. I always stop to eat/rehydrate there in preparation for the last few long climbs. Rather breathtaking.

cecil

Turbo Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
with the voices in my head
Holy shit. Just got word from my wife that my 5yo has 7 cavities. They're at the dentist now. guess we'll need to ramp up the brushing program ... we don't even eat that much sugar?! wtf?!
maybe he just needs a new bike.....I think dentist are like old time auto mechanics....."you need a new muffler bearing sir that will be $3500"