Quantcast

***Tuesderp GMT***

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Earlier that usual start today. First pickup would have involved getting stuck in major commute traffic so I kept vehicle overnight now I have a 15 minute back roads drive instead of close to an hour to get them.

good coffee this morning, and my well fed dogs are now snoozing

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Nice weather for a ride to work.

Two idiots on bikes increase the likelihood of a crash I found out. Luckily I a not in that category.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I've been an idiot on bike more times than I can count - always worth it. :)

Rain and clouds are gone, may skip out of work early to get the Giggle Pig out of the shop and hit the trails before dark.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Checked my account balance this morning, no fucks to give.

Decided to tell my boss I will not be proceeding with several assignments I have been given that are pointless and poorly defined. Probably not the best career move but it felt good. Awaiting the reply.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Smiling for breweries who are touring the pellet mill. Apple harvest continues with early Grannies. Putting m8000 bits on the Soma utilizing that Wolftooth tam pan thingy. Thingys are cool.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Checked my account balance this morning, no fucks to give.

Decided to tell my boss I will not be proceeding with several assignments I have been given that are pointless and poorly defined. Probably not the best career move but it felt good. Awaiting the reply.
Is this the new gig you were excited about?

I don't do "poorly defined". How can something that is poorly defined be accurately measured?

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Smiling for breweries who are touring the pellet mill. Apple harvest continues with early Grannies. Putting m8000 bits on the Soma utilizing that Wolftooth tam pan thingy. Thingys are cool.
You got the Soma already?

I rode in to work super early in semi-dark, damp weather since we were supposed to have a department photo. The photographer didn't show up.

The darkness did inspire me to order up a bike light, though, and perhaps later today I'll order new wheels for the commuter. If my wife's going to spend my money anyway I might as well spend it before she gets to it, right?

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Because every dumbass C*O can compare last sprint's story points to this sprint's story points without even understanding what story points really mean.

/doyouevenagilebro
How big of a shirt is that? Are we talking vintage hipster small, Forever 21 teen small, or normal person small?

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Morning Monkeys.

Did not want to get up, so I didn't right away thinking I would get coffee at the gas station and then catch the 6:25 bus. But I got ready quick and just after parking, the 5:55 bus pulled up, so I jumped on. Not only did I NOT have coffee for my commute, but I forgot to grab my stooopid badge. Oh well, has been an ok morning thus far. If I can catch the 3:30 bus home, I'll be happy.

For some reason the bus runs at 3:30, then 4:30, 5, 5:30, 6. If my 3:00 meeting (supposed to be a 15 minute stand up) runs over as it usually does, then I am done at 3:20 but have an hour to kill for the next damn bus. I hate being in the office past 4, ugh.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Home sick day #2. At least I feel well enough to do something other than lay in bed. Maybe I'll go get some books from the library.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Was up until 2:30am last night. FTS. I'm ready for bed.

On a positive note, I just ate the most delicious veal sandwich.

Going to skip riding tonight (also skipped last night). Something aint right. :(

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Is this the new gig you were excited about?

I don't do "poorly defined". How can something that is poorly defined be accurately measured?
I work in a technical organization. None of my management comes from this organization and has no clue of what we do. I am the only engineer that reports directly to senior management. I basically get assignments that the first line managers should be doing but do not have the technical knowledge to execute. I also get assigned tasks that are aligned with corporate buzz-words such as "functional excellence". I have no idea what the fuck that means nor does my manager. I have asked for clarification and received none. Told my boss I will no longer putting effort into vague tasks.

But in general I like my gig. For the most part I get to pick my "scope of work" and cherry pick projects to work on. I am busy enough with that stuff that I don't need stupid assignments.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I work in a technical organization. None of my management comes from this organization and has no clue of what we do. I am the only engineer that reports directly to senior management. I basically get assignments that the first line managers should be doing but do not have the technical knowledge to execute. I also get assigned tasks that are aligned with corporate buzz-words such as "functional excellence". I have no idea what the fuck that means nor does my manager. I have asked for clarification and received none. Told my boss I will no longer putting effort into vague tasks.

But in general I like my gig. For the most part I get to pick my "scope of work" and cherry pick projects to work on. I am busy enough with that stuff that I don't need stupid assignments.
Sounds like you're on track for a review of "Does not meet expectations."

'Cause let's face it... nobody knows what the expectations are. :D

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Sounds like you're on track for a review of "Does not meet expectations."

'Cause let's face it... nobody knows what the expectations are. :D
Ain't my first rodeo. I already reopened my performance goals for review, as measurable deliverables have not been identified.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
or you could flip it. in instances of vague expectations, define them yourself.
This is what I do (no pun intended). I have to define what it is I am measuring before I can measure it. If the project owner is unwilling to define it, then I will. If they don't like my definition, then they should have come up with their own in the first place.

But you can't say "Should work well" or my test report would simply say "Does not work as well as expected" then lay out my expectations that it failed to meet.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Ain't my first rodeo. I already reopened my performance goals for review, as measurable deliverables have not been identified.
I'm getting to deal with this same shit. In fact, that's basically what I worked on all today (well at least when I wasn't chatting with Dave Thomas about some new wheels :D): a Teaching Portfolio. 8 pages of crap, including a section at the end where I explicitly call out the criteria in a table and then spell out exactly how I meet each criterion. Example of the mind-numbingness:

The best part is that this is but a tiny part of the dossier I need to assemble to be considered for promotion. The dossier should be under 300 pages per the recommendations…

:facepalm:

(At least the criteria are out there and I can BS enough it such that what I've done can be seen to meet 'em.)

Spent essentially the whole day getting to trails, then clearing away a dozen or so fallen trees, a few of which were quite large, then getting home. My arms are sore. Moonlander and Bob trailer loaded with saw, fuel, oil, and miscellaneous other tools was, as usual, interesting on steep rocky technical trails.