Quantcast

***Tuezderp GMT***

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
It did include a "market re-adjustment" as well. Whatever that means.

Just gets me closer to my goal of maxing out yearly 401K, HSA, and IRA contributions. And not living above my in-laws garage. :rofl:
HSA before IRA. Put it into the investment account option and don't spend it on your annual healthcare expenses - pay out of pocket.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
If him paying out of pocket causes him to reduce his taxable account investment or otherwise compromise other goals I don't get how it's not just shifting money from one hand to the other.

Missing out on that sweet, sweet housing appreciation by continued tenancy above his parents' garage is probably much more of a loss. :D

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
HSA before IRA. Put it into the investment account option and don't spend it on your annual healthcare expenses - pay out of pocket.
That's the plan next year. This year we will be on the hook for a decent amount to cover The Child's birth. After that though, I'll keep the yearly deductible in my HSA cash account and invest the rest.

If him paying out of pocket causes him to reduce his taxable account investment or otherwise compromise other goals I don't get how it's not just shifting money from one hand to the other.

Missing out on that sweet, sweet housing appreciation by continued tenancy above his parents' garage is probably much more of a loss. :D
I admit it. It's a posh, high falutin lifestyle I lead.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado

Triple tax benefit.
1. Defers taxable income
2. Money grows tax deferred
3. When used for healthcare expenses, it is not taxed. If used for regular expenses after 65, it is not penalized, just normal income taxes.

Number 3 is not an option in an IRA. If you are properly funding your employer plan, you will have access to funds there until 65. So issues with limited access (for normal spending) without penalties before then. Because you can use it for healthcare related expenses with no tax implications, if you retire pre-65, you can use it to bridge the Medicare gap (Medicare is available at 65). If you don't need it for healthcare expenses, after the age of 65 it's no different than a Traditional IRA.

Your order for saving should be employer plan (to match), HSA max, employer plan max, IRA max. All from the tax beneficial side, of course. If you make too much or plan on retiring earlier, skip the IRA and setup an after-tax (not Roth because too much income, unless you are planning a backdoor Roth, but that's a next level strategy) account with the plan for it to be a retirement account. Your realistic goal should be 25% of income; 30% would allow for retiring pre-62 for most people (assuming <45 when started saving).

Only once you've hit that 25% should you be focusing on 529 plans for kids. You can take out loans for school; you can't take out loans for retirement. Get yourself situated first, then take care of the kids. The number of people I talk to who aren't able to retire until 70, but whose kids will be able to go to school at no cost is way too high.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
I get all that. My point:

1) If he's not maxing out all tax deferred spaces already then it's just trading one tax deferred investment account for another.

2) If he is maxing out all tax deferred spaces at baseline then he's trading extra investment in his HSA for extra investment in his taxable account.

3) Furthermore, investment options in many HSAs are limited. (Thankfully mine started a Betterment option recently. It was a pretty poor fund choice before.)

Given this I see minimal marginal benefits to the strategy.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I get all that. My point:

1) If he's not maxing out all tax deferred spaces already then it's just trading one tax deferred investment account for another.

2) If he is maxing out all tax deferred spaces at baseline then he's trading extra investment in his HSA for extra investment in his taxable account.

3) Furthermore, investment options in many HSAs are limited. (Thankfully mine started a Betterment option recently. It was a pretty poor fund choice before.)

Given this I see minimal marginal benefits to the strategy.
Again, the tax benefit is the key factor here. If healthcare makes up 15% of your expenses in retirement (not outlandish), you get all of the benefits of saving in an IRA and avoiding the taxes. Plus there is no income limit for contributions, unlike with an IRA. An SP500 fund is available in every HSA.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Speaking of frugal, I just ordered a bike, and probably have to decide on pulling the plug on what I have been working on for over a year.
And lose my insurance right before surgery.
Priorities!
Hey timing is important. This surgery I just had happened to fall on my last day of coverage from my old job. Literally the last day. I'm still paranoid about getting a call saying there's problems with the billing.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
One of my neighbors has been effed up for a few years now with nerve pain after a bout of shingles. Eff that.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Why isn’t there a bike tech thread on here? Anyway. YT have released new versions of the Capra and Jeffsy with the Rockshox ‘Flight attendant’ tech, which is their wireless automagic/dynamic shock tuning thinger. Kinda cool, I think, if it works…

Last edited:

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Why isn’t there a bike tech thread on here? Anyway. YT have released new versions of the Capra and Jeffsy with the Rockshox ‘Flight attendant’ tech, which is their wireless automagic/dynamic shock tuning thinger. Kinda cool, I think, if it works…

Wonder if they released new exploded diagrams to go along with it.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

It's called the dh forum.