Quantcast

Tuning App?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Does anyone know of or use an app to keep track of settings on their bike? Things like tire pressure, fork and shock settings etc etc.

I'm generally someone for example who will pump my tires up a little too hard, then they feel good for a bit, the tires either then loose pressure while baking away in my car or I burp them and have no idea what to inflate them to, so just do it by feel. Rinse and repeat.

It'd be nice if there was a simple app on my phone that I could enter the parameters from a ride and then give a thumbs up or down at the end. It'd help narrow down what feels best, without much thinking involved.

Could probably do this with some Google apps, but that takes time... Pen and paper would also work, but would get lost before the end of the next ride.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
I might sound old fashioned but I use a piece of paper and a pencil!

For tire pressure, get a digital gauge and only trust yours.
For shock and fork pressure, get a digital pump and only trust yours.
Digital pumps make for less reading error and have better resolution. Nevertheless they are not calibrated so that 80.0 psi on one can be 75.7 on another.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
seems like you would have been riding bikes long enough now to know what pressures you like and the knobs and dials don't move by themselves..
Tyre pressures are pretty easy to keep track of, until you have 7 bikes. But suspension settings start getting complicated, particularly if you vary them instead of set and forget or if you switch between components or fork travel etc. It takes me a fair while to shakedown a bike till I find where I'm happy with it for the majority of riding, and a few psi up or down is enough to make a difference - especially those days when you're exhausted and blaming the bike for transmitting too much feedback when its actually just your arms being blown.

I use a notepad app on my phone for a baseline to revert to especially if I'm trialing something ridiculous to see how it affects things. I've seen others write on the shock or fork with a paint pen if they're set-and-forget type riders. One online shop here sends small stickers with your order that let you fill in your fork and shock pressure and keep it on the frame.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Tyre pressures are pretty easy to keep track of, until you have 7 bikes. But suspension settings start getting complicated, particularly if you vary them instead of set and forget or if you switch between components or fork travel etc. It takes me a fair while to shakedown a bike till I find where I'm happy with it for the majority of riding, and a few psi up or down is enough to make a difference - especially those days when you're exhausted and blaming the bike for transmitting too much feedback when its actually just your arms being blown.

I use a notepad app on my phone for a baseline to revert to especially if I'm trialing something ridiculous to see how it affects things. I've seen others write on the shock or fork with a paint pen if they're set-and-forget type riders. One online shop here sends small stickers with your order that let you fill in your fork and shock pressure and keep it on the frame.
Yeah having a few bikes plus the gf's bikes doesn't help.

The other factor are the trails around here. Some are butter smooth and fast, without much in the way of bumps, roots etc. Other trails are slow, rech and super chunky. I end up tweaking the suspension a little when going between these places, but itd be nice to just pull up the settings that I've settled on over time.

One other thing that might factor in is that my most used bike stays inside of my car almost 100% of the time. It gets baked in the sun at work. I'm thinking that has some effect on the suspension and tire pressures..

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
come out here
I'll shuttle you so many times in a day your brain will poop in its pants
write down all the colors you hear
???
profit

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne

yeah im with you there.
3 mtb,
2 mx bikes
1 sm bike
and a race car

critical to keep baseline settings stored.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
I just use a notepad function one for each bike
and when i change a setting i write the date and all the new settings over again and a comment.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Yeah having a few bikes plus the gf's bikes doesn't help.

The other factor are the trails around here. Some are butter smooth and fast, without much in the way of bumps, roots etc. Other trails are slow, rech and super chunky. I end up tweaking the suspension a little when going between these places, but itd be nice to just pull up the settings that I've settled on over time.

One other thing that might factor in is that my most used bike stays inside of my car almost 100% of the time. It gets baked in the sun at work. I'm thinking that has some effect on the suspension and tire pressures..
Just use excel/google docs. I know it sounds boring and office like but if you come up with a new thing to track it's just easier.