Quantcast

Tuning the 2014 Fox 40 VAN R

Aug 4, 2008
I am looking into Scott Gambler 20 for the next season.

And since I am a burly dude (100kg) I need moar shimz.

So what are my options with this fork? Any chance of ghettoing in some external adjusters? Since I would not want to take apart whole fork and dampner just to tweak the compression damping every time I feel like making a change.

Or should I just swap/buy a Boxxer RC and get it Pushed?

The prospect of owning a 40 VAN R is so frustrating that I am seriously contemplating buying Gambler 30 and just replacing the brakes.

What is your take, monkeys.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2008
Gambler 30 has Boxxer RC and X4/X5 combo. Gambler 20 has Fox 40R and Shimano Zee derail/brakes.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2008
Is it possible to swap top/bottom caps to get compression damper adjuster in there?

Does anyone know if the hydraulics are similar to the RC2 without the adjusters or is it a completely new, crippled OEM unit?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Have you contacted any of the aftermarket fork peeps to see if they can take a stab at your shimz problem?

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
It's a completely different damper, and you cannot fit external adjusters. Any adjustment is internal.
If you want the adjustments you can buy the RC2 cartridge for it later, it's not cheap, but IMO it's superior to the aftermarket alternatives that are not much cheaper anyway.

Thicker oil as suggested above might help otherwise.

Aug 4, 2008
It's a completely different damper, and you cannot fit external adjusters. Any adjustment is internal.
If you want the adjustments you can buy the RC2 cartridge for it later, it's not cheap, but IMO it's superior to the aftermarket alternatives that are not much cheaper anyway.

Thicker oil as suggested above might help otherwise.
Thanks Udi. I am glad that you chimed in.

I have kind of set my mind on Boxxer RC now as it is has a lot easier to access shimstack. I would just like to ask you is there any way to tune HSC on Boxxer RC? Pour in some thicker oil or is there some mod I could do to the Boxxer RC damper?

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I wouldn't downgrade from the 20 (some nice Zee parts and more importantly a cooler paintjob) for the sake of a base model fork with crude compression adjustment. I'd sooner buy the 20 and maybe later upgrade to the RC2 cartridge later, it's around $450 with adjusters if you live in the US. Maybe this even.

I don't have a huge amount of tuning experience with the Boxxer RC but have worked on a fair few and the compression damper is pretty crude. I think it'd be harder to make a useful HSC adjustment unlike on the old Boxxer Race (locknut mod I came up with).

I haven't opened the OB damper that comes in that 40, but knowing Fox it may have a proper shimmed compression piston that could be adjusted internally.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I wouldn't downgrade from the 20 (some nice Zee parts and more importantly a cooler paintjob) for the sake of a base model fork with crude compression adjustment. I'd sooner buy the 20 and maybe later upgrade to the RC2 cartridge later, it's around $450 with adjusters if you live in the US. Maybe this even.

I don't have a huge amount of tuning experience with the Boxxer RC but have worked on a fair few and the compression damper is pretty crude. I think it'd be harder to make a useful HSC adjustment unlike on the old Boxxer Race (locknut mod I came up with).

I haven't opened the OB damper that comes in that 40, but knowing Fox it may have a proper shimmed compression piston that could be adjusted internally.
This. The 40R is less adjustable externally, but it's still a better damper (yes, it is shimmed compression) than the Boxxer RC. Get the higher end bike, and put some heavier oil in. Consider upgrading the damper down the road if you feel like it.

JohnnyC

Monkey
Feb 10, 2006
Rotorua, New Zealand
I am looking into Scott Gambler 20 for the next season.

And since I am a burly dude (100kg) I need moar shimz.

So what are my options with this fork? Any chance of ghettoing in some external adjusters? Since I would not want to take apart whole fork and dampner just to tweak the compression damping every time I feel like making a change.

Or should I just swap/buy a Boxxer RC and get it Pushed?

The prospect of owning a 40 VAN R is so frustrating that I am seriously contemplating buying Gambler 30 and just replacing the brakes.

What is your take, monkeys.
First world problems aye?

I'm sure the 40R will be a great fork, if you go down the re-valve route it should only need to be opened once or twice then you won't need to touch it again once it's dialled in. Just make sure you get the right spring first! Then just get out there and thrash it!

Aug 4, 2008
Alright, time to resurrect this thread.

Has anybody been fiddling with this fork?

In the mean time I have learned that Fox 40R is an open bath design.

Does anyone have a service manual*

Aug 4, 2008
http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1508733/

penkbeik

I've had the same thoughts. Avalanche has a wildly expensive cart, but I haven't heard a bad thing about the fit damper once they inverted it. You miss out on kajamas, but if you can live without the 5-15% improvement in slickeriness, then I think you'll be OK.
Wow, that one is pretty nice. But unfortunately I'm form Yurp and he wont ship to thrid world.

Anyways, I am hellbent on seeing what can be done with the fork and how its put together. I get the bike in the following weeks sometime, then I need to get it sprung properly and ride it for a while to see what needs to be done.

In the meanwhile I would like to get more informed, but Fox is really not making it easy for me. :)

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
can tfturned help? maybe they have a few dampers lying around....

Otherwise I dunno. You could see if a third party could send it to you, or bribe him with extra money. Or just troll ebay.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
You can tune the 40R with oil heights and shims but you have to know what you are doing. With the open bath fork you have to find balance between improved ride vs. weight because it gets heavier due to increased oil levels.

It would be a lot easier to buy a FIT cart and then you are done and your fork stays light and has a greater tuning range.