Quantcast

)))Tunnel at the end of the light gmt(((

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
:wave:

Not much to report, but its my bi-weekly reminder of why I still show up day, so that's nice.

Made some dough yesterday. Now to figure out if I want to make it into Chai frosted cinnamon rolls or lemon blueberry pull-apart bread with a honey thyme drizzle. :confused:

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Mid 50s and all of the windows open.
Minor toothache, I hope some waterpic action will flush out the cause.
Coffee and work, maybe a morning ride if i can motivate.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Mid 50s and all of the windows open.
Minor toothache, I hope some waterpic action will flush out the cause.
Coffee and work, maybe a morning ride if i can motivate.
You should mend your star fangled nut and come ride some DH again this weekend.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
At dealer, oil change.

thinking About changing the zwiftyrider over to drop bars to better emulate my road position. Just not sure how weird I want to get

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
We are officially in a hurricane watch. It has been 10 years since our last one. In all likelihood, we are going to get a direct hit from Henri. The worst part of this is that it is going to impact my planned long run Sunday. :mad:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Packing up to head over to MSA with the family later today. Hope to get at least one day of riding the lifts with my boy, and hitting the Sentiers du Moulin for a solo day.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I changed the front rotors and pads on our Subaru when they said they were due, but now they're saying the rears need doing too.

Sounds more complicated to me due to parking brake and extra bits involved. Anyone changed rears before on a Subaru?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I changed the front rotors and pads on our Subaru when they said they were due, but now they're saying the rears need doing too.

Sounds more complicated to me due to parking brake and extra bits involved. Anyone changed rears before on a Subaru?

Most rear brakes require some kind of reset tool. Often this can be cobbled together with a C-Clamp and a home-made pin spanner. However a universal rear brake reset kit is like $20 and makes it a rather easy job.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Most rear brakes require some kind of reset tool. Often this can be cobbled together with a C-Clamp and a home-made pin spanner. However a universal rear brake reset kit is like $20 and makes it a rather easy job.

It's the same way I replace my bicycle brake pads.

Pretty sure the rear e-brake is in a drum that the rotor bolts over/around. That's the way most cars are.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado

Super easy. Done it multiple times. I can come up and help you (or just so it) if you want. Take 2 hours if we're quick. Shauna can take Haley for a ride while you and I do it.

We'd probably want to bleed it at the same time, which is really easy with 2 people.

This guy actually makes it look hard. Assuming your parking brake pads are fine (ie you haven't driven around with it on) it's just pads and rotors.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado

I use the old pad and a c-clamp.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Let penetrating oil sit in/on that little bolt that ties the disc rotor to the hub. I've had these round out multiple times before and it's an absolute bitch. If there's one part of a disc rotor swap to be careful with on a car, IME this is it. Everything else is super easy and pretty much just like a bicycle.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Let penetrating oil sit in/on that little bolt that ties the disc rotor to the hub. I've had these round out multiple times before and it's an absolute bitch. If there's one part of a disc rotor swap to be careful with on a car, IME this is it. Everything else is super easy and pretty much just like a bicycle.
Subaru doesn't have one. The wheel compresses the rotor onto the hub. You need PB to get the rust from behind the rotor to the hub though.

15mm socket
15mm box/closed end wrench
13mm (iirc) same as above
Rubber mallet
C-clamp
Jack and stands
19mm deep sockets & impact driver
8mm closed end wrench (if bleeding)
2' 1/4" clear tubing and Gatorade bottle
Funnel if your aim sucks
DOT 3/4 fluid
PB Blaster

That should be everything you need to change the pads and rotors for a Subaru.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Subaru doesn't have one. The wheel compresses the rotor onto the hub. You need PB to get the rust from behind the rotor to the hub though.
Yeah, most get that. Nothing a mallet won't take care of.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Hey monkeys. Air quality is EXCELLENT, temperature is MODERATE and humidity is IDEAL. The trails are gummy so MTB for awhile.

Last night I went trolling for roadies on my 30 pound wannabe English Roadster. My first "on your left" was the best challenge I've had this year - a fairly new matte black carbon Cannondale with disc brakes. He passed me doing at least 20 while I was sandbagging at 12. It took me a half mile to catch up, he was doing some sort of pedal/pause routine so his speed varied from 20 to 25. I managed to tail him for 6 miles before my heart hit maximum explode and I dropped the chase.

If I go trolling tonight it will be on the road bike.