Quantcast

)))Tunnel at the end of the light gmt(((

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
You know what's a workout? A rotary mower. You know what's only marginally harder that a manually driven gas mower? A rotary mower.

I just wanted to see how much harder it really was vs. time consumed. Roughly the same amount of time, bit more effort. Going to switch back to it, since my yard isn't huge and it's cleaner. 2-strokes are nasty. Electric edger and weed wacker to compliment. @Changleen

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
You know what's a workout? A rotary mower. You know what's only marginally harder that a manually driven gas mower? A rotary mower.

I just wanted to see how much harder it really was vs. time consumed. Roughly the same amount of time, bit more effort. Going to switch back to it, since my yard isn't huge and it's cleaner. 2-strokes are nasty. Electric edger and weed wacker to compliment. @Changleen
I did a rotary for a couple years... but if you're lazy and the grass gets too long, it works for shit. I just went with an electric mower.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I did a rotary for a couple years... but if you're lazy and the grass gets too long, it works for shit. I just went with an electric mower.
I'll probably end up there. Eventually. But if I can prevent stuff from being built, I will. I'm trying my damndest to buy used stuff and keep used stuff in the market cycle

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle

When you give up, cordless is the shit!

My Makita mower is admittedly not quite the shit, but it's the old first gen and works well for the 1600^ft of lawn I've got. The newer brushless cordless lawn care tools are fuckin' legit! As good as gas, maybe better due to weight.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river

My Makita mower is admittedly not quite the shit, but it's the old first gen and works well for the 1600^ft of lawn I've got. The newer brushless cordless lawn care tools are fuckin' legit! As good as gas, maybe better due to weight.
And when those new "sponge" batteries get sorted out... watch out!

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado

I had started my power tools transition to Makita, but I've got a lot of life left in my Craftsman stuff. Until that stuff dies, I doubt I'll be getting anything that requires additional batteries.

And I will note regarding not getting new stuff... The only way I can get 2 cars into my garage is to completely reorganize the storage. And that involves having to pull out the built ad hoc storage and get an organized system. So I'll likely end up getting stuck buying 1500# of metal cabinets and much larger tool chest to make it happen. At the same time I'll be passing everything I have along to friends and neighbors, in addition to duplicate/triplicate tools. So keeping that type of stuff from being made again, but not ironically hypocritical.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

I tried a rotary but the constant stream of twigs and pine cones that fall into my yard jammed the damn thing up constantly. It would take me 45 minutes to "clean" the yard before I spent 10 minutes cutting the grass. Small battery mower works just fine.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I tried a rotary but the constant stream of twigs and pine cones that fall into my yard jammed the damn thing up constantly. It would take me 45 minutes to "clean" the yard before I spent 10 minutes cutting the grass. Small battery mower works just fine.
If I do it right next spring, we're planning on xeriscaping 70% or our front yard, especially where the cones fall, and a chunk of the back with the same. With a much small yard, that should help me stay on the rotary. Hopefully.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
I had a rotary mower for a bit but I got it — well at least 2nd hand let’s say. It was mostly made of cast iron, really old I think, and rusted to shit and just packed with god-knows how old grass mulch. I cleaned it up as well as I could but it never worked smoothly and would clog up really fast too. It was a hell of a workout while it lasted as it was so inefficient from all the rusty imperfections. In summer I’d be destroyed, sweating buckets and exhausted from the front lawn alone.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I like my Greenworks 60V 25" 2-blade battery electric mower. It works quite well.

I popped up to the mountain lair this morning after dropping kid 3 at preschool. I came away with a vague sense of disappointment. The swallow nests are gone but there's still some staining on the ground and up by the roof here and there. The heat pump is in and the interior portions look fine, but the lineset climbing the house is super ugly.

Overall meh feels.

Now working 2-10 PM. Was to be at home (am at home now) but I'll have to head in physically at 5 due to too many people off campus and my section not being officially the WFH-anointed one for this particular night.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
KCFD updated their map, and yep, Just Outstanding and Waggy Ridge appear to be 90% burnt, you can just make out the trail on their map. With 0% containment I assume the last 10% will be gone shortly. Thank god climate change is a hoax though, so this for sure won't happen again in a couple years when all the veg grows back

just outtanding.jpg

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Nice, FT. uh, is that unfinished particle board comprising the exterior walls?

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I had a rotary mower for a bit but I got it — well at least 2nd hand let’s say. It was mostly made of cast iron, really old I think, and rusted to shit and just packed with god-knows how old grass mulch. I cleaned it up as well as I could but it never worked smoothly and would clog up really fast too. It was a hell of a workout while it lasted as it was so inefficient from all the rusty imperfections. In summer I’d be destroyed, sweating buckets and exhausted from the front lawn alone.
Love my manual rotary mower. Had one as a kid, have one as an adult. Not having to charge, plug in or fill gas ever is a huge win in my book. Our yard takes about 10 minutes to do. I edge with garden shears. No pollution and minimal noise brings me joy.